• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any better option for 3-18 at $1k than XTR3?

CCRBUM

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2009
Ended up getting a larger than expected tax return and I’m gonna go on and purchase a scope for my hunting rifle. I’m pretty set on the 3-18 range of FFP scopes and I don’t care about illumination. With the Burris XTR3 on sale for $1k is anything else in that price range going to beat it as far as quality of the build and optical clarity? I’m sticking to my budget so please don’t respond with “if you save a little more” lol I’ll end up waaaaay over budget playing that game!

Pretty much a no...

I've compared that optic to pretty much the majority of scopes at its price point. Mostly LOW offerings of one design or another, and its true peer, the MK5. Made in America with Japanese glass just like the Burris.

It strongly competes or is better than anything in its price point of $1500 to $2000. But now it's $1000 and there's nothing there that competes with it.

Does the XTR3 come with caps or a sunshade?

Doubt it...I just wish they had the 5.5-30 in the SCR 2 at CL I just got my first a few weeks ago and am super impressed. I am 100% a Burris fan boi now!

65znm7.jpg

Get'm while they're hot. Deals like this don't come around every day.

Lol I was just talking to someone about that the other day… I didn’t have the money to jump in though and missed the boat!

I am also considering this scope -- Looks like it checks all of the boxes.

Not sure if the Burris warranty/CS is as good as Vortex and Leupold.

But at this price, it is very tempting.

Everything I’ve read has said yes to the warranty. It’s also nice that I’m just on the other side of Denver from them lol

I also just ordered one -- After some research, I don't think there is a better value at $999

Reactions: CCRBUM
How is the 5.5-30? Worth $1100 even with the SCR reticle only?

I've only had one experience with Burris' warranty/cs & it was absolutely excellent. I inquired about repairs to a Gen 1 XTR that i've had for at least a decade. No questions asked, no receipt required; I immediately had an RMA & return label. If I remember correctly, I had my scope repaired & returned in about 2wks. I'm not sure if Vortex or Leupold could have done any better than that.

t

Pretty much a no...

I've compared that optic to pretty much the majority of scopes at its price point. Mostly LOW offerings of one design or another, and its true peer, the MK5. Made in America with Japanese glass just like the Burris.

It strongly competes or is better than anything in its price point of $1500 to $2000. But now it's $1000 and there's nothing there that competes with it.
Have you compared the 5.5-30 XTRiii with Athlon Cronus? Trying to decide between the two for my b14r

Reactions: Jknox1030
Have you compared the 5.5-30 XTRiii with Athlon Cronus? Trying to decide between the two for my b14r
A handful of times. The glass clarity is better in the Burris as well as the FOV. And I've never been a fan of the turrets on the Cronus. Four necessary turret upgrades in 6 years is a red flag to me. Extremely rare to hear of anyone with a turret or tracking issue on any XTR.

Reactions: 260284 and MK3XXX
A handful of times. The glass clarity is better in the Burris as well as the FOV. And I've never been a fan of the turrets on the Cronus. Four necessary turret upgrades in 6 years is a red flag to me. Extremely rare to hear of anyone with a turret or tracking issue on any XTR.
Thanks!

Do we know when Camerland will be shipping the XTR3's out?
They’re awaiting stock and said it should go out by then end of the month. I don’t think Doug would mind if you called and checked. I did see the illuminated ones are listed now.

Has anyone done a comparison to the leupy mk6 3-18?

Ordered a 5.5-30x56 scr mil from Cameraland last night to see what the fuss is about. Never looked through anything other than a 5-25x Burris XTR 2....(which was complete garbage)
Excited to compare this XTR 3 to others in the same field.
I will get multiple videos through the scope directly with Google pixel 4a. (Not a POS tacitcam) I'll video through Bushy XRS3 6-36x56, Athlons Ares ETR 3-18, Vortex gen 2 razor 4.5-27x56.....

This Burris will have a hard time beating the bushy XRS3. I'll be ordering more Burris from Doug if it does.

Their warranty and customer service is awesome. Had an old pair of euro diamond binoculars that failed. Didn't like their current binocular offerings so I was able to turn it into a pair of XTRII's with a little cash on my end.

While I would of liked to get those binos back (they were amazing), I'm very happy with how everything worked out.

Ordered a 5.5-30x56 scr mil from Cameraland last night to see what the fuss is about. Never looked through anything other than a 5-25x Burris XTR 2....(which was complete garbage)
I will get multiple videos through the scope directly with Google pixel 4a. (Not a POS tacitcam) I'll video through Bushy XRS3 6-36x56, Athlons Ares ETR 3-18, Vortex gen 2 razor 4.5-27x56.....

This Burris will have a hard time beating the bushy XRS3. I'll be ordering more Burris from Doug if it does.
Excited to see your thoughts on how the Burris compares to the Bushy. I had an older bushy that I couldn't stand. The snow was yellow when looking through it.

Ended up getting a larger than expected tax return and I’m gonna go on and purchase a scope for my hunting rifle. I’m pretty set on the 3-18 range of FFP scopes and I don’t care about illumination. With the Burris XTR3 on sale for $1k is anything else in that price range going to beat it as far as quality of the build and optical clarity? I’m sticking to my budget so please don’t respond with “if you save a little more” lol I’ll end up waaaaay over budget playing that game!
I know you purchased a scope, my choice would be the Bushnell LRHSI Gen 1 can be found cheaper and they are a 30mm tube and lighter same mag range and I like the bushy reticle better. Next option would be to look for a used Razor LHT 4.5-22 be a little more worth the cost for the weight savings and extra magnification and reticle.

You lose me as soon as you claim the XTRII was garbage. The early releases had a few flaws. The glass in some of them left a lot to be desired for its price point. And they spent a couple years slowly raising the bar on glass quality. But for quite a few years now this scope has been one of the most solid performers on the market. Its been on the market for over 8 years, needing no design update to perform. How many scopes can claim that?

Burris has sold many thousands of these to rank and file shooters that absolutely love it. The tracking and reliability of this optic has been second to no scope in the industry. The rate of return on this scope to Burris CS is as low a number as any manufacturer from NF on down would love to see on any scope they produce.

The track record on this optic deserves far more credit than a dismissive "complete garbage".

You lose me as soon as you claim the XTRII was garbage. The early releases had a few flaws. The glass in some of them left a lot to be desired for its price point. And they spent a couple years slowly raising the bar on glass quality. But for quite a few years now this scope has been one of the most solid performers on the market. Its been on the market for over 8 years, needing no design update to perform. How many scopes can claim that?

Burris has sold many thousands of these to rank and file shooters that absolutely love it. The tracking and reliability of this optic has been second to no scope in the industry. The rate of return on this scope to Burris CS is as low a number as any manufacturer from NF on down would love to see on any scope they produce.

The track record on this optic deserves far more credit than a dismissive "complete garbage".
The only one I looked through. Got it from Natchez on clearance. Was a fuggin piece of garbage. Anything above 15x and it was like looking through a fun house mirror. Hopefully, something was wrong with it. That is my only experience, so I go with it. More than I believe the GLASS was garbage, so I'm not sure mine was "bad". Either way, it was returned. And, yeah, I look through a shit load of scopes and know how to set the eye piece to optimize the image. Gone are the days of "looking into the sky" and setting reticle focus. Anyone who tells you the ocular eye piece "reticle focus" adjustment doesn't effect the optical quality of a modern day rifle scope is full of it.

Reactions: moosemeat
Excited to see your thoughts on how the Burris compares to the Bushy. I had an older bushy that I couldn't stand. The snow was yellow when looking through it.
The new Bushnell XRS3 is incredible. There is snow covering the ground here and I see ZERO chromatic aberrations. It is a big leap in my opinion from the Gen 2 razors. I have had 3 4.5-27 razors, I now have 3 XRS3 6-36 and they are one of the "cleanest" scopes I've looked through regarding Chromatic Aberrations (*or lack thereof). It can be induced.........but it is very minor. I had a Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 and the glass was fantastic in general. However, get it looking across snow covered ground and it had more purple fringing than any other scope I've seen. I hear Kahles is probablematic in this regard as well.

You may very well be correct. But, I must have gotten a "bad one". I do know the tracking and reliability isn't /wasn't garbage. But, the example I had. Purchased in 2018 FYI from Natchezss on sale, was a POS in the glass department. Gave me a headache, no matter what I did to the thing. That was my only experience.

I obviously don't think the XTRIII is going to be garbage or I wouldn't have just spent $1100 on one from Cameraland. I am an optics nerd though, so I have to see for myself if the XTRIII is as "good" as you claim. Time will tell. It's going to have a damn tough time besting the new Bushnell XRS3 is all I'm saying. I have no stake either way, just a guy who actually compares scopes sidexside for hours on end (weirdo, I know) on a tripod setup............much like our famed and friendly Koshkin.

I'll report my side by side findings.............not that anyone has to give a rats ass about what I think.......except me.

The guys claiming the Arkens are "as good as".......................is laughable. I had an Arken, for 20 minutes.

I've heard good things about the glass in the new XRS. I havent gotten to look through one yet. And I'm a Bushnell fan, so I hope they do well with it.

I also get a kick out of the Arken guys 😉

Just for clarification the cronus turrets got upgraded for feel. Never heard of anyone complaining about tracking.

The XTR2 early models was got garbage. They had horrible tracking and the glass ranged from meh to acceptable. It turned a lot of us off. Canted reticles to. I'm glad they fixed it but the early production xtr2 had issues.

The XTR3 Greeley production is hands down the best glass I have seen under $1800 for sure. I just got to get behind one after I bought my XRS gen 1. If I had known that the XTR3 was gonna be $1100 and got to look thru one before the XRS I would have a XTR3.

Especially at the price from cameraland right now I think these are really hard to beat. My 3-18 XTR3 is very comparable to my 5-25 Mark 5. At this price it's a no brainer.

Reactions: moosemeat
Especially at the price from cameraland right now I think these are really hard to beat. My 3-18 XTR3 is very comparable to my 5-25 Mark 5. At this price it's a no brainer.
That was my biggest reason for starting this thread. At that price I don’t think there is much that’s going to go toe to toe with it.