• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Any body want a plane?

Re: Any body want a plane?

An offer you can't refuse. Great fuel consumption and reasonable insurance. Not to mention terrified neighbors.

6 year warranty.

The funny thing is....I'm redoing my budget so I can pick this up. The plane itself is relatively inexpensive; approximately $60,000 to $500,000 depending on how it's equipped. It's the cost to own that sucks.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-0tvPUQxl4c&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-0tvPUQxl4c&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3wFGcQ95SM&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3wFGcQ95SM&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it flies, floats or fucks; rent it. </div></div>

That's the truth if it were ever told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it flies, floats or fucks; rent it. </div></div>

That's the truth if it were ever told. </div></div>

A bit off topic but:

BOAT....A hole in the water you throw money into.

BOAT:....Break Out Another Thousand.

I expect its the same with planes, if not worse.

Very true. As soon as you buy an airplane it starts breaking down...especially acro airplanes that get flown hard all of the time. I used to own a fractional partnership in a Yak-55. We averaged around two hours of maintenance for every flight hour. Chicks dig radial engines though
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it flies, floats or fucks; rent it. </div></div>

Just don't rent to own, some things are really hard to get rid of once they are used.

Had the opportunity to buy into an aircraft partnership this summer, but I bought a GA Precision rifle instead. Ammo is much cheaper than avgas...

I'd have to request a jet-fax if I was buying used.

I see airplanes bought and sold all the time in my line of work. I manage a shop modifies and repairs the avionics systems so I know what they cost to maintain. That's just to know where you're going and allow you to talk on a radio. I've had the experience of refurbishing a MIG-21, TS-11, MIG-15 and an L-39. Actually flew in a couple of them too. The experience is awesome but the maintenance isn't. That's why governments operated this things. You're right; the acquisition is the easy part. The real money comes in before you even start it it up.

Actually, the expression is, "If it flies, floats or fucks, it's cheaper to rent." I can personally testify to the truth of that statement but what it leaves out is that only one of the three could potentially continue to cost you the big bucks <span style="text-decoration: underline">after</span> you've got rid of it.

And, no, it ain't the airplane.

I used to own a Piper PA-28 Archer. The monthly cost of ownership -- insurance, hangar rental and calendar maintenance -- was about the same as four hours of rental time in a similar a/c. So for the same amount of $$$$, I could fly somebody else's Cessna 172 four hours each month, or spend endless relaxing hours washing, waxing and generally caressing my own.

The "conventional" way to finance the upkeep a personal aircraft is to pay into a maintenance account every time you fly it, just like you were renting it from yourself, to cover future costs for tires and brakes and hourly maintenance, plus future refurbishment and engine rebuilds. Take this hourly "bank," throw in the cost of whatever AvGas you burn through and <span style="font-style: italic">IF</span> nothing breaks, if dirt daubers don't nest in your pitot tube and if you don't collide with a deer on takeoff roll, you can fly your own plane for about 2/3rds what you could rent an equivalent plane for.

Except you don't just pay to fly, you also pay to own. Add that cost of operation to the cost of ownership and you discover you'd have to fly more than 12 hours a month before it was cheaper to fly your own than to rent. Today you'd be hard-pressed to find an a/c in that class renting for less than $100 an hour so you're looking at spending <span style="text-decoration: underline">at least</span> $1200 a month on flying before ownership gets you to the break-even point. Plus, if you own, you still have all the headaches an airplane can cause while it's on the ground. If you only rent, you park the airplane, toss the owner the keys, wave bye-bye, walk off and forget about it.

Which is why so many pilots choose either to just rent or to be a part-owner through a syndicate or fractional ownership.

Me, I prefer the simplicity of renting, all the way around.

I was a short term owner of a Kolb Firestar U.L. (I know, it's not a real plane) But for just flying around the deer lease or scouting for pigs I believe light sport or U.L. is was the way to go. Pretty damn cheap flying, the above numbers would never apply. Actually made good money on the sale too. Now wishing I hadn't sold.

Luckily, my experience is a little different. I've bought, repaired and sold quite a few airplanes. Usually buy something, someone else tore up and do the repairs and fly it a while before selling. The cost of ownership is sometimes higher because of where you live. Hangar rent is usually pretty expensive in the larger cities. I'm a pilot as well as A&P with IA. Therefore I can do my own annual and all my own maintenance. People often buy airplanes as a social status symbol and not a good investment for their flying experience. Most pilots know shit about mechanical issues. If it has a nice avionics stack and pretty paint and interior, they want it. On the other hand, mechanics who are also pilots, want something with a good engine, minimal corrosion and no history of damage.Many times I've been asked to look at airplane for a pre-buy inspection. The seller has it shined up and all pretty. Nice paint, new interior and a cool radio and GPS. Then the engine has 2 cylinders leaking air past the rings, corrosion inside the wings, AD's out the ass for structural issues and whatever other mechanical issues. Poor records keeping. I'd advise the person to keep looking and pass on the airplane. 3 months later, they call me with problems. They bought it anyway and now, the piece of shit I warned them not to buy costs them $25,000 to get a new engine. That's where renting becomes cheaper than buying. They just paid $50,000 for an airplane. Market value in good condition was $35-40,000 but because it had new paint and interior, they paid more. Now to get it running again, they will have $75,000 in an airplane worth $40,000. If you're stupid and don't listen, you gotta have money cause it's going to cost you. I've flown a cessna 150 all over the place. Ive owned a few of them. Flies slow, only holds 2 people and doesn't have much for useful load. On the other hand it burns 4.5 gallons an hour and maintenance is cheap. If your looking to just fly for recreation, 150 or 172 is a great airplane. If you want to go all the time with family, you got to spend the money on something bigger and more expensive. Flying as a hobby is not much different than anything else as for as expense, you gotta pay to play.