• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any C6 corvette fans here?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hey all,

Do we have any c6 vette fans here?

I am currently shopping around for one and was wondering if anyone had any idea what the market is like for these Lil cars.

The one I liked the most is a jet stream blue 2008 Z51. Anybody have anything to say about these such as what you like or dislike on yours? The one I'm after will run me $30,000 already transferred to my name with only 76,000 miles and 3 owners. I think the asking price is high but idk. I just barely started looking into these a week ago so I'm barely feeling the marker out.

$30k is 10-20% high for a base C6, IMO, even in this market.

They make pretty good HPDE cars.

My Supersonic Blue 2012 GS.

IMG_0621.JPG

The one I'm looking at is not a base C6. It's a Z51 so it has the L55 brakes, slightly stiffer suspension, I believe different gear ratio, etc.

34289b76c07c59540a4142328b25728a-1.jpg
    dde491205f11bc9e70c9905c93721a58.jpg
    24137b8da8fdf34eaefc5de8ae52cc8e.jpg
    30025c9cf3751b4f8190c0e69372af47.jpg

It's got minor mods. It has an exhaust but we don't know what brand.

Front lights
    LED tail lights
    Black side reflectors
    wing spoiler

But aside from all that, i like it because it drove really good. It is very very well taken care of with only 3 owners and sub 70k miles.

I have a friend with one… he likes it.

I thought the 2005-10 was one of the most beautiful Vettes made. But think that is a C-5?

If you want me to introduce you, he knows his stuff on late corvettes.

Sirhr

It would be nice to pick his brain a bit...

It's not a real corvette since its not made with fiberglass. 58 vette had the ultimate body style which is timeless.

By "base" I meant non-Z06. Ultimately if you're willing to pay, that's all that really determines value. It is a good lookin' car...

HPDE = High Performance Driver Education = "track day".

Reactions: E. Bryant
    I have a 2011 grand sport. Love the car, plenty of power and handles great. That is definitely high, especially for the mileage. The market has been pretty crazy the last year and a half. I overpaid some but found one that caught my eye and had mods that I wanted already done. That saved me several thousand dollars even if I did the work myself so I could justify spending a little more than I should have.

There are some good deals if you are patient and willing to travel to get one.

• Love
    Reactions: FWoo45 and Bender
    dont buy an 05. The rear ends are shit and the XM antenna is on the exterior(06+ its all hidden).

That 08 or 09 for narrow body cars is a sweet spot. You couldnt get a Z51 car after 2010 when the Grand Sport was released.

The 08 also got the updated interior, but not the updated seats(those were 2012+).

The 08 also got the TR6060 in place of the T56 so slightly "better" transmission.

30 in this market for a 75k mile car is a bit high. 25-27 would be a better place to be.

Plug all the shit into the app called "corvette dna" and it will give you a pretty close market value. I believe the guy that runs the apps aggregates lots of various sales and comes up with pretty good pricing.

Just a tip for buying modded cars however extreme or slight. That’s a labor or love, he did those mods, and it’s his money, not yours. Unless the car is modded to EXACTLY, what you want, don’t be paying much extra for any aftermarket stuff.

Coming from a guy who has bought, sold, and built cars from mild to wild mods

Just re read the post to see the exact mods you listed. They shouldn’t be factored in at all IMO

Just a tip for buying modded cars however extreme or slight. That’s a labor or love, he did those mods, and it’s his money, not yours. Unless the car is modded to EXACTLY, what you want, don’t be paying much extra for any aftermarket stuff.

Coming from a guy who has bought, sold, and built cars from mild to wild mods

I 100% agree on this. I always say you're never going to get what you put into a car/truck mods wise whenever it's time to sell.

However, these things I would probably end up doing to a corvette if i bought it without them. Except for maybe the headlights, those I really don't care for.

The upgraded suspension and brakes I really like and I know that would run me a few bands. The tail lights on it I also like, I was looking at some very similar already. And then of course the exhaust, because we all know corvettes have shitty exhausts from factory and are super quiet. We all want to hear that LS engine roar.

So I feel if I did this to a corvette I bought without any of it, I'd be spending a pretty penny. Like I said, the headlights are the only thing that I probably don't care for.

This color is also super rare in my area and I happen to really really like it.

Reactions: lash and j-moose32
    dont buy an 05. The rear ends are shit and the XM antenna is on the exterior(06+ its all hidden).

That 08 or 09 for narrow body cars is a sweet spot. You couldnt get a Z51 car after 2010 when the Grand Sport was released.

The 08 also got the updated interior, but not the updated seats(those were 2012+).

The 08 also got the TR6060 in place of the T56 so slightly "better" transmission.

30 in this market for a 75k mile car is a bit high. 25-27 would be a better place to be.

Plug all the shit into the app called "corvette dna" and it will give you a pretty close market value. I believe the guy that runs the apps aggregates lots of various sales and comes up with pretty good pricing.
    I'm about to go looking for that app, thanks for the tip.

Hey all,

Do we have any c6 vette fans here?

I am currently shopping around for one and was wondering if anyone had any idea what the market is like for these Lil cars.

The one I liked the most is a jet stream blue 2008 Z51. Anybody have anything to say about these such as what you like or dislike on yours? The one I'm after will run me $30,000 already transferred to my name with only 76,000 miles and 3 owners. I think the asking price is high but idk. I just barely started looking into these a week ago so I'm barely feeling the marker out.
    Mine isn’t a c6. But an 03 Z06 w/33k original miles. Black w/ headers, full length exhaust, intake and tune. Guy had records for every single thing done to it. Including the dyno sheets, oil changes etc. Gave 26k for it. Oh it also had brand new tires on it. Garage kept…. Car is flawless.

Mine isn’t a c6. But an 03 Z06 w/33k original miles. Black w/ headers, full length exhaust, intake and tune. Guy had records for every single thing done to it. Including the dyno sheets, oil changes etc. Gave 26k for it. Oh it also had brand new tires on it. Garage kept…. Car is flawless.
    I have an 04 Z06 maybe has 10 K on it nice car but got to get it out more.

The upgraded suspension and brakes I really like and I know that would run me a few bands.

This color is also super rare in my area and I happen to really really like it.

upgraded suspension and brakes? Those are stock z51 components... nothing fancy at all about them. I would rather have them then base level, but Z51 isnt much of an upgrade honestly. The wheels are aftermarket... probably cast, but so are the factory gumby's in 2008, and I like the look of those ZR1 knockoffs anyway so no loss there.

and JSB isnt rare at all. ~10% of cars in 2008 were JSB. Its a good color, dont get me wrong, and I would pick it out of a few others, but its not really a "rare" color.

Reactions: lash
    upgraded suspension and brakes? Those are stock z51 components... nothing fancy at all about them. I would rather have them then base level, but Z51 isnt much of an upgrade honestly. The wheels are aftermarket... probably cast, but so are the factory gumby's in 2008, and I like the look of those ZR1 knockoffs anyway so no loss there.

and JSB isnt rare at all. ~10% of cars in 2008 were JSB. Its a good color, dont get me wrong, and I would pick it out of a few others, but its not really a "rare" color.

Ok gotcha. Yeah the brakes and suspension aren't upgraded aftermarket since they are factory. I did spend the entire day looking at corvettes and test driving them. Most of them had shitty looking brakes with rust or some had decent condition brakes but very bare minimum looking.

The JSB is rare in my area. I have only been able to see another one for sale this past week and it sold already. Black, red, maroon, even yellow, and silver I have seen many.

I'd be willing to look in other areas/states though. It seems as if most here are suggesting maybe the corvette I'm looking at is too basic for its price tag or its price tag is too big for the car.

Just don’t rush, and don’t be afraid to get a trailer (if you don’t have one) and go pick up a car out of state if you find what you want. I can’t comment on price of corvettes specifically but others here who are owners are saying it may be a little over priced. It’s easy to get sucked in when you see something close to what you want, especially when it’s the color you want too

Not really relevant, but my daughter just sold her C5 ('98) for about $4k more than she paid for it 3 years ago.

It was nice enough, we run autocross and drags, but that was pretty much all she used it for, her daily is a challenger and she has several other vehicles. I had been lusting over a C8 until I spent time in her C5. Could not live with one myself. Too "old and busted".. ;)

Ok gotcha. Yeah the brakes and suspension aren't upgraded aftermarket since they are factory. I did spend the entire day looking at corvettes and test driving them. Most of them had shitty looking brakes with rust or some had decent condition brakes but very bare minimum looking.

The JSB is rare in my area. I have only been able to see another one for sale this past week and it sold already. Black, red, maroon, even yellow, and silver I have seen many.

I'd be willing to look in other areas/states though. It seems as if most here are suggesting maybe the corvette I'm looking at is too basic for its price tag or its price tag is too big for the car.

Brakes on Corvettes have always been "adequate" until at least the C6Z06/GS/ZR1. The base/Z51 brakes are really the same basic brakes since 1984 that just went up in rotor size and the caliper got larger over the years. They work, but arent fantastic for hard use, the calipers actually bend and spread open leading to uneven pad wear. Even the 6 piston C6Z06/GS brakes arent great, the caliper is not good, its not rigid. The ZR1 calipers and carbon ceramics are great. C7 finally started to get fantastic brakes all around.

As far as the price being high, I dont know. Like I said the Corvette DNA app is pretty good at giving current values. I would guess, having not looked at C6's in a while that 30k is a bit high, but probably not crazy out of line. I'm seeing 06-08 Z06's in the mid 40's as a comparison which I think is way over priced.

Last edited:
    Wow - that's a steep price. I'm pretty sure that $30k would have bought that 2008 car back in 2013. But it's a different market nowadays.

The C6Z06 still makes me horny after all these years. It's no longer close to the fastest car on the track, but there's a certain purity to the experienced that's been lost with its successors.

I also wouldn't object to a Grand Sport with a built motor, and since it's an LSx that can mean anything from heads+cam to a naturally-aspirated stroker making 700+ HP.

Keep in mind that any of these cars are now 10+ years old, and the experience of C5 obsolescence demonstrates the potential hassle in coming years. The good news is that Corvettes are common enough that the aftermarket will provide solutions.

Corvette DNA app says that car is worth ~20k... I dont think thats realistic right now. Usually that app is way closer to reality, but I think its low for the market.

I just did a nationwide car guru's search for 2008-09(basically the same car) and 29-31k was pretty common asking prices. Those cars all had half the miles of the car the OP is asking about. Cars with ~80k miles were in the 26-27k range, which is what I said earlier I thought this car was worth. There's a 78k mile Jet Stream blue 2009 in Oklahoma City for 25k but its an automatic, non Z51 car with shitty wheels... I would say a Z51, 6spd manual car, with nicer wheels would bring 1000-1500 more.

I still say the car the OP has posted above is a 26-27k dollar car... NOW if his 30k number as he states is "transfered into my name" that would mean, to me, 30k includes TT&L. If its 30k and then the OP has to go to the DMV and pay the TT&L then he's in the car 32-33k.

Reactions: lash
    Corvette DNA app says that car is worth ~20k... I dont think thats realistic right now. Usually that app is way closer to reality, but I think its low for the market.

I just did a nationwide car guru's search for 2008-09(basically the same car) and 29-31k was pretty common asking prices. Those cars all had half the miles of the car the OP is asking about. Cars with ~80k miles were in the 26-27k range, which is what I said earlier I thought this car was worth. There's a 78k mile Jet Stream blue 2009 in Oklahoma City for 25k but its an automatic, non Z51 car with shitty wheels... I would say a Z51, 6spd manual car, with nicer wheels would bring 1000-1500 more.

I still say the car the OP has posted above is a 26-27k dollar car... NOW if his 30k number as he states is "transfered into my name" that would mean, to me, 30k includes TT&L. If its 30k and then the OP has to go to the DMV and pay the TT&L then he's in the car 32-33k.

Based upon other prices I've seen, yeah, any "late-model" Corvette is going for historically high prices. But will this persist? I mean, the base C8 has a sticker of $65k, and I remember seeing 2019 C7Z06s being blown out just before the pandemic for $70k.

Personally, I think this whole thing is transient, but we've recently seen the folly of making such predictions.

Reactions: Bender
    Based upon other prices I've seen, yeah, any "late-model" Corvette is going for historically high prices. But will this persist? I mean, the base C8 has a sticker of $65k, and I remember seeing 2019 C7Z06s being blown out just before the pandemic for $70k.

Personally, I think this whole thing is transient, but we've recently seen the folly of making such predictions.

oh no way it will persist, but IMO its anybodies guess how long things can be strung along.

base c8's are 65k MSRP, but IF a dealer has one on the lot(its been pretty rare for any dealers to have dealer stock) its 25-30k ADM and they are getting it. Local dealer to me has a 2LT(mid level) C8 that they had a 30k ADM on, I think its down to 20k now, the guy I have bought a few cars from said he could likely get it to me for 10k over MSRP... no thanks.

I bought a 2019 Z06 when they were blowing them out. Got 11k off MSRP(82k msrp I bought for 71k). I sold it 18 months and 6k miles later for 69k! Ill take a 2k dollar "loss" over 18 months on a car LOL... I bought a 2002 Z06 during Covid that had sat for 4 years for 14k. It needed a lot of cleaning and other odds and ends. I put 4500 into it(which was 2000 more than I wanted to) and sold it for 23k so I made some decent money on it.

Right now is a down time in sports car sales in general due to the winter season, similar to boats. Toys(and a Corvette is a "toy" for 95% even if daily driven by 5% of the buyers) are still holding up in value a bit because this "recession" doesnt affect people who can afford toys as much as somebody who can barely afford a $10k beater, but at some point the "toy" market will also collapse. Im already seeing the general used car market soften up, but so far the higher end stuff is still holding up a bit better.

I'm basically out of everything right now except my shit box 2001 Miata I am turning into a dedicated track car... but im paying cash for everything. Ive liquidated everything this year except our 2 daily's(prius and f250) and our boat which I am thinking of selling next spring to get a different boat as what we do on the boat, ours isnt great, shoulda bought a pontoon.

Can you actually get a C8 for 65k? All I see are 40k dealer (((market))) charges on top. If Intrest rates stayed low, I would be tempted at a $65k C8

If I was going to debase myself with a gm product (my preferred American garbage is ford, after my Mercedes garbage) the only thing would be a c6 z06. I don’t know what it is but the body lines hit me just right. That paired with steel suspension, manual trans, & the endless flexibility of the ls engine is an attractive combo

Can you actually get a C8 for 65k? All I see are 40k dealer (((market))) charges on top. If Intrest rates stayed low, I would be tempted at a $65k C8

no. Ive seen ADM's go from 30 to 20 to "you could really buy it for 10k over"...

I will say though even at 75k the c8 is a hell of a buy.

Reactions: FWoo45 and Bender
    Steel suspension???

The bolts in a C6 suspension are about the only things that are steel... the shock bodies also...
    I meant analog. As in, no electronic controls or airbag springs

I meant analog. As in, no electronic controls or airbag springs

yea the suspension is, but the c6 has plenty of stability/traction control nannies...

Ive owned a C6Z and a C7Z... C7Z magnetic suspension, electronic rear diff, etc... is fucking magic compared to c6z... I mean its the choice 7 days a week and twice on Sunday...

This coming from the guy building a full manual Miata track car... non power brakes, non power steering, no abs, no stability control, etc... Only traction aid is a torsen limited slip rear diff and stupid sticky tires...

Drove this one off the showroom floor in 2011. It was fun, but they have limits in my opinion. Not very fun in long/longer road trips. Straight line cars in my opinion. Fun to own, but not sure I’d ever go down the vette road again. Well let’s see how the 2023 LT6 motor works before I make that call.
    5DF03CF9-DCFF-4C70-B4E9-B498BF744E9B.jpeg

Reactions: Bender
    Drove this one off the showroom floor in 2011. It was fun, but they have limits in my opinion. Not very fun in long/longer road trips. Straight line cars in my opinion. Fun to own, but not sure I’d ever go down the vette road again. Well let’s see how the 2023 LT6 motor works before I make that call.
    View attachment 7992591
    You didn't get the magnetic suspension I assume? Because with the magic suspension button, life is a lot better when you're just driving somewhere. And as far as I know, it's only gotten better. IIRC, Ferrari and Mercedes both license it from Delphi/Chevy for use in their cars.

This one is really nice, do you know why there are sooooo many different factory wheels for these cars?

I'm sure some came on certain trims but I can't figure out which ones on which.
    I'm not sure.

It is very very well taken care of with only 3 owners and sub 70k miles.
    Miles don’t kill a car, owners do. With a 3 owner modded sports car, the likely hood of an abusive owner is high.

You’ll be the 4th owner and when you sell it, that guy will be the 5th owner. I personally won’t touch a 3-5 owner car. I’d look around more, you should be able to find a better example for the same money.

Not very fun in long/longer road trips. Straight line cars in my opinion.

I never took a c6 on any really long trips(4-5 hours was my longest), but did a few long ones in my C7Z and that car ate the highway miles. Did one day of 14 hours/950 miles... after the 10 hour mark though we were getting a bit fidgety in the seats.

And "straight line car" LOL... There is a reason that Corvette is probably the #2 or #3 car in road racing use in the world(miata, porsche, corvette are likely top 3)... I think they are actually boring straight line cars and not as good as stuff with solid axles because they are harder to launch well without getting wheel hop. Turn them loose on the twisties and they will do far far more than 95% of drivers are comfortable doing.

I've actually been toying with trying to find an 06-09 Z51 manual car to track...after my Miata is finished that is.

Or you could go for option B - buy a older LS camaro for 7-10K (aka the working mans corvette), and then dump the saved 20k into it, and smoke that stock C6 😎

Kidding... but kinda serious

• Haha
    Reactions: Bradu
    Miles don’t kill a car, owners do. With a 3 owner modded sports car, the likely hood of an abusive owner is high.

You’ll be the 4th owner and when you sell it, that guy will be the 5th owner. I personally won’t touch a 3-5 owner car. I’d look around more, you should be able to find a better example for the same money.

The mods are only aesthetic, only the exhaust is a performance mod and a very minimal one. I would definitely buy a one owner car but then the price goes to 35k.