• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any CAT C7 experts here?

47chevycoe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Nebraska
Are there any cat engine guru’s here? I was offered for a cheap price a 2005 blue bird school bus with a cat c7 engine in it. My plan is to shorten the frame and put an old reo cab/flatbed on it. This engine is the smallest hp rated of all the c7 (210hp). Is a simple ecu reflash all that’s needed it get to the 300hp rating? Any other mods to help out?

I know this won’t be the easiest swap as this engine is electronic. Anybody want to talk me out of this project?

Pictures are of the REO cab/flatbed that will go on the school bus chassis.

Best bet is to get the engine serial and see what the critical parts list is. Then Cat or a reputable shop can tell you what is needed. Just guessing, you are probably going to at least need injectors to gain 90hp.

How much money do you have ?
How much time do you have ?
Post some photos of similar, previous projects you have completed.

There's always a first project....

I vote go for it. Check irate4x4.com, as it's most of the old pirate 4x4 users who left. Lots of them have done all sorts of van/bus/truck swaps and remodels. Most popular is cutting the back off, and moving it forward to create a short bus living quarters with a flatbed on the back to haul a rock buggy. Some info is still at pirate, but the new owners ran people off so it's a ghost town of old tech.

RUN!!!!!!!!! That motor was never meant to be 300 hp. I have one in a motorhome. Just finished a fresh in frame. Motor is rated at 330 hp. It can do it, but it will not last long. Temperature likes to be 205 and up on a hot summer day. 215 is not uncommon. 37 foot motorhome flat towing a stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited west on I 80 during July in Nebraska. Could not keep temps down. Had plenty of cooling capacity, just can't feed that motor that much fuel. Most diesel mechanics describe them as a throw away motor. I was warned and didn't listen.......don't do what I did.

RUN!!!!!!!!! That motor was never meant to be 300 hp. I have one in a motorhome. Just finished a fresh in frame. Motor is rated at 330 hp. It can do it, but it will not last long. Temperature likes to be 205 and up on a hot summer day. 215 is not uncommon. 37 foot motorhome flat towing a stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited west on I 80 during July in Nebraska. Could not keep temps down. Had plenty of cooling capacity, just can't feed that motor that much fuel. Most diesel mechanics describe them as a throw away motor. I was warned and didn't listen.......don't do what I did.

They did an in frame on an engine without liners? Yes, it is a throw away engine. Just rebuilt one last year using a reman short block due to a mechanic that didn't torque the cylinder head

I am a school bus tech, we have 100 of the c7 Cat bluebirds in our fleet. I work on them all day every day and can assure you that the engine is 100% shit! It will not go well with a power increase The bluebird chassis is also pretty shitty. Look for a Thomas Freightliner FS 65 with a Cummins or a non EGR Mercedes. The non EGR Merc is very reliable with little to no issues, the 24 valve Cummins are pretty stout, they just like to mark their territory wherever you park them.

Theres your answer from the voice of experience.

Pay attention!!!

How much money do you have ?
How much time do you have ?
Post some photos of similar, previous projects you have completed.
To answer your questions:
My family owns a dirt construction business. It will be footing most of the bill.

As for time: I have 1 month old twins. No explanation necessary.

I’ll attach a few pictures of other projects I’ve done. I can’t take credit for the body work, but I’ve rebuilt engines/ driveline etc.

Attachments

• 8AD4FD9A-88AD-472A-BE9C-405CEF7D067C.jpeg
    8AD4FD9A-88AD-472A-BE9C-405CEF7D067C.jpeg
    853.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 7BD618E1-1DD6-43DA-9D53-BC6D3CC2ED8E.jpeg
    7BD618E1-1DD6-43DA-9D53-BC6D3CC2ED8E.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 33
  • 69ED1836-AECD-40E9-8B3F-6FF4497B8D73.jpeg
    69ED1836-AECD-40E9-8B3F-6FF4497B8D73.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 801168A0-705C-4E97-A188-61860FB3578D.jpeg
    801168A0-705C-4E97-A188-61860FB3578D.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 1ED2BC7E-CA58-4A7F-A183-38E5E2492814.jpeg
    1ED2BC7E-CA58-4A7F-A183-38E5E2492814.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 43
I should add, 300 hp isn’t necessary unless it was a simple ecu flash. I’m pretty sure it’ll require at least turbo and injectors…..probably $5k+. Anything will be an upgrade over a 50’s continental gas engine rated at 90 hp.

Last edited:
I am a school bus tech, we have 100 of the c7 Cat bluebirds in our fleet. I work on them all day every day and can assure you that the engine is 100% shit! It will not go well with a power increase The bluebird chassis is also pretty shitty. Look for a Thomas Freightliner FS 65 with a Cummins or a non EGR Mercedes. The non EGR Merc is very reliable with little to no issues, the 24 valve Cummins are pretty stout, they just like to mark their territory wherever you park them.
Definitely agree with you. I was a fleet mechanic for Waste Connection for 13 years. The c7 replaced the isb 8.3 Cummins we were running. It was down hill from there. We had constant injector issues, heui pumps sending metal through the fuel system, turbo dying and oil leaks. Oh and injector cups leaking fuel into the coolant system, water pumps failing, and the engine as a whole not lasting. We would get maybe 15k hours on an engine and new one would have to be put in.

Definitely agree with you. I was a fleet mechanic for Waste Connection for 13 years. The c7 replaced the isb 8.3 Cummins we were running. It was down hill from there. We had constant injector issues, heui pumps sending metal through the fuel system, turbo dying and oil leaks. Oh and injector cups leaking fuel into the coolant system, water pumps failing, and the engine as a whole not lasting. We would get maybe 15k hours on an engine and new one would have to be put in.
That covers pretty much what we see on a daily basis with the outside of the engine. On top of that they love to crack piston rings and score cylinder walls all to shit which is great without replaceable liners. Had some swallow valves and grenade the insides.
The Allison trans should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Seen that quite a bit too. Like you said no replaceable liners. That I thought was ridiculous. We had so maybe injector failures, we would tell drivers to take a lunch while we replaced them. Usually took my 30 minutes to do all 6 we did then so often. The injector electronic unit would fail all the time.

The Allison on the other hand is rock solid. We ran everything from a 2000 series to the 4500 series and rarely had failures. I really like those transmissions.