• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any cheaper 'shorties' on the horizon?

R_Swanson

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
AZ
I want a new mil/mil ffp scope for my AR15 platform: 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel uppers. I would like to get a shorty for it... for very important, long range shooting reasons: They look cool as hell on AR platforms.

I've been spending a lot on guns/optics/etc lately, so I'd prefer to go cheaper with this, and to be honest the Chinese made options intrigue me. Its not that I cant spend more, but I want to play around with this platform a little and try stuff out.

If you know binos and spotting scopes, you know that the Chinese made stuff (if you buy from the right company) punches above its price point. I'm interested to see if we are coming into an inflection point in the market where the same is becoming true for scopes with Althon, Bushnell, etc new offerings from China.

Are there any 3-15, 3.5-18, 4-20, etc shorties coming out from Chinese or even Philippines sourced glass anytime soon, or something available now that I missed when looking?

Last edited:
Define "cheaper" and define "shorties"... how cheap and how short are you looking?

Define "cheaper" and define "shorties"... how cheap and how short are you looking?
I had a feeling there would be follow up questions. I'm not looking for scope recommendations, just a discussion.

Chinese made and althon/bushnells offerings (and future offerings), and reference to focal lengths should be sufficient I feel regarding price. I don't care about the price tbh. Nothing chinese made is expensive.

As for length... I feel like when you look at an SB ultra short, or a DMR, or a Mark5 3-18, its pretty obvious those are short compared to most other offerings in their focal length. Ilya recently defined ultra shorts on his blog as well. But my point isn't to be a technical Timothy, just have a discussion.

^^^ No problem, was just wanting to clarify is all. I am not aware of any Ultra Shorts coming from China, but the companies to watch would be Athlon, Hi-Lux and maybe Bushnell, Vortex, etc. in the near future.

^^^ No problem, was just wanting to clarify is all. I am not aware of any Ultra Shorts coming from China, but the companies to watch would be Athlon, Hi-Lux and maybe Bushnell, Vortex, etc. in the near future.
Yeah, its only a matter of time. I was hoping someone had heard something. Maybe I'll pick up a DMRII to hold me over.

March 1-8x24 short is 8.4 inches long overall
Did you read the premise of the thread?

The Value Option - In the UltraShort segment is going to be the EOTech VUDU... They are releasing a 5-25x50 that is 11" long and 30oz ... Street price around $1500...

Reactions: Glassaholic
The Value Option - In the UltraShort segment is going to be the EOTech VUDU... They are releasing a 5-25x50 that is 11" long and 30oz ... Street price around $1500...

Nice, thats not a Chinese option, but it is interesting! I might look at the mk5 in that price range though.

Just don't get a chinese one. Optics are unreliable before you even go there.
We here for the post count? :D

This.

The only other reasonable priced options that are sub 14" that I can think of are the Steiner T5XI 3-15, Leupold MK5 3-18, Sig Tango 6 3-18 & 4-24 gen 2.

Most of the Athlon offerings are right around 14" long. Not long, but not really short either.

Here's the Steiner.

This.

The only other reasonable priced options that are sub 14" that I can think of are the Steiner T5XI 3-15, Leupold MK5 3-18, Sig Tango 6 3-18 & 4-24 gen 2.

Most of the Athlon offerings are right around 14" long. Not long, but not really short either.

Here's the Steiner.

The mk5 3-18 seems like the tits for an AR, its light too! I just don't want to spend that much right now.

I have the 4-24mm Tango6, I haven't shot it yet but I'm impressed by finger f'n it and judging the glass. Both the Tango6 3-18 and the mk5 are about an inch shorter than the 4-24 which I like.