• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any comments on ER Shaw barrels?

r1les

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
I was 2 seconds away from ordering a DPMS .204 upper.Then came across a ER Shaw for just a tad bit cheaper.Anyone know the quality of these compared to others?Wouldn't mind some insight before dropping some cash.Thanks

Re: Any comments on ER Shaw barrels?

I have heard good reports on them. If I recall that's who model 1 uses for their uppers and heard alot of happy people with their uppers.

For production grade ARs they are ok if the company having them made has all of the options done during manufacturing.
Some take cheap short cuts like plain chromoly barrel no lining, they don't have the barrels air gauged, some even have parkerized bores, no stress relief. So some ERS barrels made for some companies don't shoot for crap while other ERS barrels made for companies that pay for the extra steps shoot well. It isn't ERS screwing up it is companies taking the cheap route.
DPMS at one time used Wilson Arms barrels which were good but now I hear they are using Montana barrels.
If the muzzle is .001 larger than the rest of the bore then they will not shoot well, can use inspection pins to check the bore and muzzle size.

I looked on Model 1's website and they had a good price on a .204 upper.thanks for the heads up.Last week I contacted a few gun places and was trying to get details/comparisons on the uppers and barrels.Unfortunately I couldn't even get outve them any info on specs.They just sold them pretty much.I guess you get what you pay for.But then sometimes it's nice to get it cheaper than usual.

I have or had 3 all 223 and they were all accurate but a pain to clean. They are a little rough. I would buy from them again but I would fire lap them.

AR Performance, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, M1S, & another that slips my mind all use ERS barrels for their tip grade SS 6.8SPC barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR Performance, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, M1S, & another that slips my mind all use ERS barrels for their tip grade SS 6.8SPC barrels. </div></div> Don't lie there EWP. edited for thread drift

Those are all production grade barrels, some pay for the better procedures some do not. ER Shaw will make a barrel to any specification, any twist, any rifling, any contour, any caliber.
Add Alexander Arms, Addax, M&A parts, YHM, Double Star, and Midway's AR Stoner to that list, probably many more. Looking through the barrel with a borescope LMT, Stag, Bushmaster, S&W,LWRC, DPMS, Daniel Defense(cut rifling) all look like the same unlapped bore.
I know Rock River, Armalite, WOA and Colt use Wilson Arms barrels, POF and Larue, maybe Addax use some Lothar barrels but POF also uses Rock Creek, all those are lapped production barrels.
Noveske, MSTN, PRI, WOA, AR Performance, Accuracy Speaks, Les Baer, JP,Compass Lake and many others use PacNor, Douglas, Shilen, Krieger, Bartlein, Hart and Broughton custom match grade barrels.

ETA- link to explain grades- description

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR Performance, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, M1S, & another that slips my mind all use ERS barrels for their tip grade SS 6.8SPC barrels. </div></div> Don't lie there EWP and Paulo Santos.

Those are all production grade barrels, some pay for the better procedures some do not. ER Shaw will make a barrel to any specification, any twist, any rifling, any contour, any caliber.
Add Alexander Arms, Addax, M&A parts, YHM, Double Star, and Midway's AR Stoner to that list, probably many more. Looking through the barrel with a borescope LMT, Stag, Bushmaster, S&W,LWRC, DPMS, Daniel Defense(cut rifling) all look like the same unlapped bore.
I know Rock River, Armalite, WOA and Colt use Wilson Arms barrels, POF and Larue, maybe Addax use some Lothar barrels but POF also uses Rock Creek, all those are lapped production barrels.
Noveske, MSTN, PRI, WOA, AR Performance, Accuracy Speaks, Les Baer, JP,Compass Lake and many others use PacNor, Douglas, Shilen, Krieger, Bartlein, Hart and Broughton custom match grade barrels.

ETA- link to explain grades- description </div></div>

Is that why Wilson Combat & Bison calls they Shaw "6.8 match barrels" and until recently ARP used ER Shaw and called them Match barrels as well because he considers anything that will shoot MOA in an AR a match barrel. Me l'lI stick with Shilen and just finished as new 16" Ultra Match Ratchet rifling upper that will out shoot all of the above mentioned even with the 95gr TTSX that most(if not all) can barley get MOA with and I'm getting better than half that with my new barrel and the same velocity as most 18" & 20"(2800-2900 FPS) barrels with very safe loads using a different powder than the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR Performance, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, M1S, & another that slips my mind all use ERS barrels for their tip grade SS 6.8SPC barrels. </div></div> Don't lie there EWP and Paulo Santos.

Is that why Wilson Combat & Bison calls they Shaw "6.8 match barrels" and until recently ARP used ER Shaw and called them Match barrels as well because he considers anything that will shoot MOA in an AR a match barrel. Me l'lI stick with Shilen and just finished as new 16" Ultra Match Ratchet rifling upper that will out shoot all of the above mentioned even with the 95gr TTSX that most(if not all) can barley get MOA with and I'm getting better than half that with my new barrel and the same velocity as most 18" & 20"(2800-2900 FPS) barrels with very safe loads using a different powder than the rest. </div></div>

You are just lying out your ass Earnest Poole, flat out lies about things that you have no experience with at all, you purchased a Shilen barrel from Rainer that they call an "ultramatch" so don't make it sound like you're a gunsmith.
Wilson Combat may call his a match barrel but I have never called a Shaw a match barrel. I use PacNor, Krieger and Bartlein match grade blanks and you know it and I have the invoices to back it up.
Running your mouth just like this got you and your buddy banned from 6.8 forums.
ETA- I don't call a Wilson Arms barrel a match barrel either, my experience shows a Shaw will outshoot Wilson most of the time. It doesn't matter how slick the bore is, if it is not straight and the chamber concentric it will not shoot well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bustin,

So what is a 'match' or 'match grade' barrel exactly? </div></div>

What I call a match grade barrel is a true benchrest grade barrel commonly used by benchrest competitors, these are some I have built rifles with. Douglas, Shilen stainless(their CMs are not lapped), PacNor as less expensive match barrels. Krieger, Bartlein, Hart, Lilja, Broughton are a little more expensive. They are all air-gauged and lapped and have a very tight tolerance in uniformity of bore size(.0003-.0005).

Most ARs do not have match grade barrel unless they come from a custom shop, that doesn't mean that they won't shoot well.
I have seen some ARs with $150 barrels shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds, buying a true match barrel is like buying insurance the rifle will shoot well. Don't need them for combat, 3 gun or home defense but if shooting varmints, or any type accuracy shooting(high power etc) then they can make a difference. I have heard some highpower and silhouette shooters say they don't need a super accurate rifle because their shooting consistency matters more than the rifles accuracy so some in those crowds say anything under 1" is good enough and that is where some service rifle match barrels come into play, they aren't true "benchrest match" barrels they are "AR match" barrels.

From the barrel page on 6mmBR
barrel page

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR Performance, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, M1S, & another that slips my mind all use ERS barrels for their tip grade SS 6.8SPC barrels. </div></div> Don't lie there EWP and Paulo Santos.

Is that why Wilson Combat & Bison calls they Shaw "6.8 match barrels" and until recently ARP used ER Shaw and called them Match barrels as well because he considers anything that will shoot MOA in an AR a match barrel. Me l'lI stick with Shilen and just finished as new 16" Ultra Match Ratchet rifling upper that will out shoot all of the above mentioned even with the 95gr TTSX that most(if not all) can barley get MOA with and I'm getting better than half that with my new barrel and the same velocity as most 18" & 20"(2800-2900 FPS) barrels with very safe loads using a different powder than the rest. </div></div>

You are just lying out your ass Earnest, Wilson Combat may call his a match barrel but I have never called a Shaw a match barrel. I use PacNor, Krieger and Bartlein match grade blanks and you know it.
Running your mouth just like this got you banned from 6.8 forums.
ETA- I don't call a Wilson Arms barrel a match barrel either, my experience shows a Shaw will outshoot Wilson most of the time. It doesn't matter how slick the bore is, if it is not straight and the chamber concentric it will not shoot well. </div></div>

Yes I know you make higher end match barrels as well but you cant lie to me and tell me you havent been passing off those ER Shaw SS barrels as Match quality(not true match but match quality) barrels for some time now. Your just another smooth talker that try's to make everyone think your stuff is better when you've caused as many problems with the 6.8 as you have fixed(bulged cases with your new .424" base dia. chamber ring a bell). I've also seen allot of blown primers here lately coming out of your barrels using commercial ammo(not Tac loads) and the same ammo shoots just fine in every other barrel out there even SAAMI chambered stuff.

Don't worry I'm not banned for good since I tell the truth it's hard to ban someone for good, but since you did so much crying about me telling it like it is they did do 30 days which is up by the way(not that I ever left).

Again you are lying out your ass. The Extreme or Recon barrels have NEVER been advertised as match barrels, The Lothar Walther polygonal barrels were lapped and sold as a premium MK68 barrels. The 12 twist 3 groove MK68 SAM-R barrels I sold as match barrels were PacNor stainless match grade blanks and again everyone knows it Pac Nor is the only company that makes a 12 twist 3 groove 6.8 barrel using my button, there are thousands of members on 68forums that can tell you that.
SSA makes their brass .415, SAAMI spec for a chamber is .422, that is .007 expansion you can see it on the cases. Hornady brass is .418, you can't see the buldge on their brass.
The difference between a SPCII on my chamber is .001 at the base and .0005 at the neck.
As far as blown primers 1 guy had too much headspace and the primers were backing out, it wasn't high pressure.
You tell the truth? hardly. You're just pissed because I made you look like an idiot in the small base die thread.

No tell you the truth I'm really not pissed and could care less what you sell and actually thought about buying one of your newer air gauged barrels but then you started giving me the run around about who was making them so I went with a company that's proud to put the blank makers name in the description of their match barrel instead of hide it when your design is nothing better anyway.

I've seen more than one ARP barrel with excessive(maybe not blown) pressure from commercial ammo.

And your still wrong about the SB dies and RCBS is the ONLY company calling a .418" base a SB die when it's really a regular FL die and their regular dies are not small enough for reliable use in an auto loader, Hornady, Lee, & Redding all size to .418"(.004" under chamber size) at the base and are regular FL dies(I actually have them, not just what they told me on the phone) so carry on about a SB die being needed unless your using RCBS which calls what should be a regular FL sizing die a SB die, so what if you have one Redding die thats out of spec and sizes to .420" they are not all like that.

Good day Harrison,
EWP

I signed a NC/ND agreement with that company, do you know what a NC/ND agreement means? I can't talk about it and they can't take my design and start selling it, if I break the agreement they can do whatever they want with the design.
It sure as hell wasn't Shaw, we don't sign contracts, I call up or send a PO and they send barrels. Shaw makes our production grade barrels, they do not offer lapping as a service so anyone trying to pass off a Shaw as a match grade is just plain stupid and has probably never looked at a barrel through a borescope.
The funny thing is the premium barrels were the same brand of barrels that are supplied to someone you speak so highly of but I refused the shipment of barrels because the chamber wasn't concentric with the bore.
You can call the dies whatever you want, what I said was they should use dies that size the 6.8 case to .418 if using it for duty or a carbine course, if they slow fire including hunting the .420 may work fine. If you read that thread you would have noticed several other guys checked their dies and they are the same as mine.

Get a WOA bbl and dont look back.

Im not sure if they make .204 barrels tho but a Shaw bbl would be my last choice IMO.

Im sure Krieger could put one out for you.

Correction to a post above:

LWRC has not used ER Shaw barrels or blanks for at least 3 years.

I have an ARPerformance upper in 6.8 x 43. I opted for a chrome moly 16" (recon profile) barrel with the nitro-carb treatment to it. Never once (and I read the site over and over as I was making up my mind) read that my barrel was being claimed to be a match barrel.

What I read was that the bores are inspected with a borescope, that the upper receiver was squared, the extension was bedded, the 1:11.25" 5R rifling was more efficient to reduce friction, allowing higher velocity from a given load, and that I should be able to expect 3/4 - 1 MOA accuracy. I have a full float YHM Diamond rail with an end cap... ITS Superbolt as well.

I have yet to mount a scope on my rifle, a cheap red dot is what I've been using to date, and I also had a sloppy fitting bi-pod mount on my rail. I've swapped out the bi-pod mount to a solid one and have seen an improvement. I haven't put an upgraded trigger into my rifle yet. I'm leaning towards a 1-4x scope for mine. As I shake out my set up... and shake out ME... I see improvement with each outing and am very pleased with my purchase.

So far... the only ammo I've shot through my rig is SSA Commercial loads of the 110gr Sierra Pro-Hunters. Brass ejection has been 3:00 and pitches about 3-4' from the port. I've had ZERO pressure signs with primers (which are silver colored... probably CCI 400s?).

In two outings with my rig, I'm too busy with the whole shoot/clean and shake out gear chores, and haven't bothered to see how close the rig and I are to the 3/4 - 1 MOA accuracy, but, I don't see it being an issue once I settle in and do some shooting for groups. I suspect the biggest problem is going to be the loose nut behind the trigger.

The purchasing process was a breeze in dealing with Harrison and Donna. It was a pleasure to do business with them... and I'll have AR Performance at the top of my list for my next upper purchase.

I got the best bang for my buck spent. I looked long and hard at Bison Armory too... but, being that I live in WA State, Bison has to charge me sales tax, and when you add that to a slightly higher price for a similarly equipped rig, my tight budget was the deciding factor for which one I went with. I wanted good specs for my upper and was willing to pay a little more where it counts... upgrading other things later down the road.

I'm new to reloading, so, I'm not touching that subject in this thread. I picked a plan of attack and will decide for myself which I prefer. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

I have no axe to grind with EWP either. To date, my only personal equipment exchanges I've done have been two transactions with him... both went smoothly for each of us. The motivation for my posting to this thread (which I happened upon as I explore a new BBS)is that my first hand experiences with ARP product (and as a vendor) are not consistent with what I've read here. The only "side I'm choosing" is to speak up for what I know to be true information as it relates to my own experiences.

So, apparently the AR Stoner (brand) 6.8 x 43 5R barrel that MidwayUSA sells, is most likely from E R Shaw. What I had seemed to shoot well for the 6-7 shots I put though it and then noticed the ring around the brass from a deformity in the chamber. Apparently, a bur from the chamber reamer or genearl reaming of the chamber gouged the chamber near the start of the shoulder. Had it been left over ridges that could be addressed with another chamber reamer to remove said ridges. But, with a groove, it would continually leave a spot that the brass would expand into it creating almost a small "thread" at that area around the brass. The Bolt they sent with the barrel had issues with the firing pin not able to protrude enough to reliably dent the primer to make it detonate. I doubt that the bolt was made by ER Shwaw, but the barrel had, otherwise, nice wormmanship on it and the end of the barrel had good clean lands.

Like I said, I fired the barrel and it grouped surprising well, considerting I'm not sure what load I had with that brass at the time. The bullet was an older Speer 100 gr Spitzer, but unknown was the powder and amount. No pressure signs and the recoverd bullet looked very clean in the lands and groves with no metal burnishing. FWIW

Maybe Midway will get off their arse and swap it out for you.

I can't speak to all the stuff posted in this thread and it seems like a personal war. Maybe this will help. I have a 24" upper in 6.5 Grendel from Model 1 sales using the ER Shaw barrel. At first I couldn't get anything to shoot MOA. It was suggested by some on another site that I should get a new barrel. Long story short: I kept trying different loads while breaking in the barrel and "earmarking" loads with potential. Now with about 400rds down the tube I have three loads shooting MOA. Also, I still haven't upgraded from the stock Bush Master trigger which is rough to say the least.

Hope this helps,

Tikka

They said to send it back. I just have to wait for the new stock to be delivered Nov 15th. FWIW, the target I shot with the 5R barrel was very good. I mounted the Bison Armament barrel back on an upper today and shot it to see how the firing pin, scope, etc were working. Shot on paper, a little high and right, but the group size was not the tight group tha the AR Stoner barrel had. I've not been entirely enthralled with the rifling on the Bison barrel. To me, it seemd as someone rushed though the process and the rifling is not crips and clean like I have seen on so many of the other good barrles I have. It's more, subdued, amost "worn out", and it's only been shot less than 50 rounds.

If the manufacturer contracting the barrels doesn't know better and stay on top of Shaw they will use old worn out buttons and reamers, especially with the 5.56 barrels.
That is why I buy and supply them with the tooling to make my barrels. The 5R with thin lands mangles the bullets less and fly better as a result.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR Performance, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, M1S, & another that slips my mind all use ERS barrels for their tip grade SS 6.8SPC barrels. </div></div> Don't lie there EWP and Paulo Santos.

Harrison, why is my name in this thread? What did I do or say now? I told you that I was done with you and your bullcrap and I've been trying my best to be civil. So why are you starting shit again? Maybe I should post in my blog again why I left 68Forums so all of your brainwashed kool aid drinkers over at 68forums can see what a piece of shit you really are. I don't know EWP very well, but I can see he at least has the balls to stand up to you and your bullshit. Too bad he will probably get banned from 68Forums for it.

You follow me from forum to forum and never respond the the original post, you just respond to me to stir up shit and thats why you've been banned from 68 forums, m4 carbine and locked out of arfcom. figure you left your post for a reason and the one in the other thread on 11-3.

edited to clear thread drift

To get back on track.

I have a stag arms model 6 super varminter upper in 5.56 with a 1:8 twist, its a 24" heavy target barrel, stainless steel, chrome lined, And it was made by E.R. Shaw.

It has performed very well holding under 1/2" 5round groups at 100yds. and I have made hits out to 1000 yards using smk 77grn bullets.

I would recommend them, however when this barrel burns out I will be upgrading to a higher quality barrel.

Sorry for all of the drama. Bustin and I have talked and I think it is safe to say that we were both getting played by someone which I will not name (He doesn't post here anyway). I tried to delete my posts but was unable to.

If ER Shaw made the 6.8 x 43 barrel, with the 5R 1:12 twist rifling, it is odd that when they got done with the reaming of the chamber( whoever it was ) did not check the chamber for any signs of deformity. I suuppose there is a gauge that one could use to check to see if the chamber was reamed within tolerance, but the bolt they sent along was pristine. It was like someone just picked up a bolt, any bolt, and just attached it to the whole package. Well, it is advertised barrel and bolt, and not barrel with "headspaced" bolt. Though bolts should be at least inspected to make sure that the firing pin does produde enough through the firing pin hole to effectively dent the primer deep enough to reliably detonate the primer each and every time, this one was not. It was merely a 6.8 bolt put in the package, and as such if just that one component was defective, the whole as a package needed to be sent back. To me, that seems kind of counter productive, but that is MidwayUSA's policy. If they were "on top" of this, they might have inluded one of their bolts from PRI as a 0.00 item should you buy one of these barrles. That way, if you did get a bad bolt, you could exchange just the bolt.

Midway ok'd me to send back the barrel and bolt for a full exchange, which is in progress now. I just have to wait for their date of new stock that they told me of Nov 15, 2010 for them to ship me the new barrel/bolt combo. I was kind of surprised that there was no mention on the box the barrel came in who actually made the barrel. When asked by the customer service staff they had no clue on who made the barrel. Maybe made in China?? LOL

As I said on the other forum, ER Shaw does not finish off barrel packages, they make barrels complete without a gas port or extension pin and someone else must parkerize, chromeline, drill the gas port match a properly headspaced bolt and package the deal. Barrels come from Shaw raw metal not finished, 26 to a box, wrapped in brown paper, that is the extent of their packaging.
I can tell you they (ERS) does not borescope or inspect the chambers and rarely inspect the barrel crown so if the retailer selling them does not inspect them either there are a lot of bad barrels getting out there. As far as I am concerned it is the company reselling these to do the quality control to make sure the customer doesn't get a bad barrel.

Well, you saw the marks it left on the brass.
ar_stoner_chamber1.jpg
One in the middle is normal brass fired out of my Bison barrel. With a small screwdriver or any small rod,you can feel along the side of the chamber and actually "feel" that groove in the chamber. The groove allows the brass to fill into it, causing a ridge around the brass. Probably poor chamber reaming job and has a bit of material not well cleaned out and caused the gouge in the metal. If it were a "ridge" in the chamber, I could use a chamber reamer a friend offered me, and simply remove the ridge. But, the other way, I cannot erase a gouge. Really kind of sad, too, as the rest of the barrel, the rifling, crown, etc looked extrememly good, and first shots fired from it nested inside of 1.2" group of 5 at 100 yards. IF someone was to shoot singlee rounds and pitch the brass you might get by with it, but if you reload, it would continue to compound the brass degredation at that point on the brass each and every time you fired the round. I think after while it could cause a weak spot in the brass there, prone to disasterous failure.

I agree, a chip hung on the reamer edge.

Looks like a grendel case. Why not make it a 6.5 "improved" grendel. You're already reloading and depending on the diameter of the "ring" you may have enough room. Talk about one off's.

Tikka

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tikka09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a grendel case. Why not make it a 6.5 "improved" grendel. You're already reloading and depending on the diameter of the "ring" you may have enough room. Talk about one off's.

Tikka </div></div>
The 6.8 SPC is not even close to a Grendel case. The way the picture is "scrunched" it might appear that it is shorter and fatter than it really is. The 6.8 is based off the .30 Remington case, which is slightly smaller in base diameter than the 7.62 X 39 Soviet round that the 6.5 Grendel's brass is based on.
Also the 6.8 SPC has a longer chamber diameter as well as major differences in the bore diameter of .270/.277

Midway will re-send another barrel/bolt combo as soon as the barrel is back in stock.

If I had my way, I'd would have had my .308 Saiga AK-47 re-barreled for 260 Remington. Now that would have been a keen semi-auto.

Yeah too bad all it takes is money.

Shaw makes custom bolt action barrels... SA is the contract barrel manufacturer.

since the topic was 204 barrels my best luck has been with Sabre
Defense 24"--ck em out

I would like to plug White Oaks Armament. Check out their "Varmint" uppers... I think you may just like them. I have an 18" SPR that I run the crap out of. SUPER accurate... and John is a heck of a guy to talk to.

I also have a little 16" ER Shaw Barrel, heavy bull, fluted stainless in a 1:8 twist. It is chambered for .223 and I shoot 69 grain SMK out of it fine. I built this to play around with in some local 3 gun matches / tactical carbine matches... and it's a wee bit on the heavy side, but very accurate none the less.

However, if you REALLY wanna know your money is well spent... I would definitely look into WOA.

Cheers!