• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Czech VZ 24 Experts Out There?

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
Hey fellas. Back again with another milsurp and some questions. I bought a VZ 24 Mauser with the Lion Crest on it. The rifle is pretty worn out, but it sort of "spoke" to me so I brought it home. The bolt is the only part that doesn't match, but it bears a Lion stamp on it. I've gathered that the rifle was made in 1938, or at least accepted during that time. I searched the interwebs but couldn't find what the "R4" suffix means on the serial number. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
The "R" is the serial number block.

Czech rifles were produced in blocks of 10,000, similar to the German system. They started with number 0001A and when they reached the 9999th rifle they simply started over with 00001 again followed by the letter "B", then "C" and so on. Each letter was a block of 10,000.

Last edited:

Czech rifles were produced in blocks of 10,000, similar to the German system. They started with number 0001A and when they reached the 9999th rifle they simply started over with 00001 again followed by the letter "B", then "C" and so on. Each letter was a block of 10,000.

Thank you Dan. How common is it to find these rifles with the Rampant Lion still intact? From my readings, it seems that most of them were scrubbed by the Rooskies. My rifle definitely looks like it went through Hell and back. All the bluing above the woodline is gone, and under the woodline I found a whole lot of cosmoline, some dirt, and other oils that I wasn't entirely sure what they were. The action was pretty much glued in the stock by all the grime, almost like it was a fresh bedding job (had to use a plastic mallet to "persuade" it out). I imagine this rifle hasn't been pulled apart and cleaned in a very, very long time, if ever. All in all, I still find its condition somewhat charming.

CSAR FE,

Not very many in the condition yours is in. Agree with Dan M on the serial #'s. But, I might add it may be a re-work or 're-issue' to have the 4 behind the R.

I'll also say that while there may be dirt and grime and hardened cosmoline, almost like a glass bedding, it is extremely fortunate you don't have pitting under the woodline. These rifles saw their fare share of the action no question. In your case you might be looking at the one that got away time and time again. I suggest some bore foam overnight with the muzzle pointed down and that may take a lot of the darkness out of the bore. Once you get that, these ol' girls are some pretty fair shooters. Of course on the collector side they are going up, but that is a shame. They don't get shot that way. They get "kept as they were found". These need to be shot...did I say that already?

The rifle has a nice crest... most VZ24s that have been floating around the open market lately are Romanian contract reworks with scrubbed receiver rings.

Not sure if the rear sight is calibrated for the 7.92mm S Patrone (154 gr projectile) or the s.S. Patrone (198gr projectile)... I think it is the S Patrone.

I had a G24(t) that I stupidly let go years ago... wish I had it back.

The R4 simply means it was the fourth R block, after rifle # 9999Z they went to 0000A1. The original Z block guns were completed and the A1 block started in the middle of 1926 production, but this serial number sequence was only done for rifles produced for Czechoslovakia. VZ-24's produced at Brno for export to other countries have a different serial number pattern.

Your serial number of 3682-R4 puts production right at the end of 1937 or beginning of 1938, which coincides with the E3(lion)38 stamp which is the original Czech military acceptance stamp from entering service in 1938, with final assembly at the Brno plant #1. E4 is the code for the #2 plant at Bystrica, even though the receiver left side would still say Brno. Your rifle is a nice find because, like others have stated, many times the receiver crests have been ground off, but even more importantly in your case many rifles from that time were actually forced into German service and completely remarked or stamped with all kinds of German marks similar to K98 Mausers.

It is getting tough to find original Czech VZ-24's that are not dicked with. Good job.

Last edited: