• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any experience with Black Rifle Arms Piston Uppers?

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    In my never ending pursuit for a reliable 300BLK SBR I have come across a company called Black Rifle Arms, has anyone here had experience with these either with 300BLK or other calibers? What has been your overall impression. I'm really just looking for an upper at this time, I already have SBR and pistol lowers, but maybe it's my "lower" that's part of the problem??? I have swapped barrel, gas and buffer system in my SBR to see if a whole new combination will improve reliability (I shoot almost exclusively subsonic suppressed), but if this doesn't work I'm looking elsewhere for solutions.

No, never heard of them. With all due respect, why venture out to something you do not know in your "pursuit for a reliable 300BLK SBR?" I think there are a good number of reliable 300 BLK SBRs. I mean, a short barrel and short distance is where the .300 BLK shines. One of my favorite, out of the box is the Daniel Defense DDM4 .300 BLK. So cool with the collapsible stock and made for shooting .300 BLK.

No, never heard of them. With all due respect, why venture out to something you do not know in your "pursuit for a reliable 300BLK SBR?"
    I appreciate that and you're right, often times I'm looking for latest and greatest and next shiny object when what works and works well has been sitting there all along.
    I think there are a good number of reliable 300 BLK SBRs. I mean, a short barrel and short distance is where the .300 BLK shines. One of my favorite, out of the box is the Daniel Defense DDM4 .300 BLK. So cool with the collapsible stock and made for shooting .300 BLK.
    You are not the only one to recommend the DD 300BLK... I appreciate the input. I actually bought a DDM4 PDW back in early 2021 and then sold it to pursue another project I had at the time before I ever even shot it 🤪, guess I should have shot it! If my next trial and error run ends with more... well, trial and error, then I think it's time to change course and DD might be the way to go.

What’s not reliable and what are you trying to do?

Give us the whole setup, can to buffer.
    • JBO Spartan Billet Lower with Noveske extended takedown pins and LMT EDM machined two-stage trigger
    • VLTOR IMOD Stock with Nemo Arms 300BLK spring and Spikes T2 buffer, Mission First Tactical FDE Grip
    • JBO Spartan Billet Slick Side Upper with SLR SOLO 8" MLOK Handguard | WMD FDE NiB BCG
    • Griffin Armament 1:7 300 BLK HEDP 416R SS Nitride 9.5" Barrel - pistol gas, low pro GB | TBAC 30CB Brake
    • TBAC Ultra5 Suppressor
    That is what it is currently setup as, I've tried different buffer springs in the past, I've tried different buffer weights (lighter to heavier), I used to have a KAK 9" 300BLK barrel but decided to try the Griffin bbl as it's supposed to have an "optimized" gas system... I should also note I've been using Magpul PMAG's, recently acquired 300BLK versions as well as Lancer L5AWM 300BLK magazines. I have both Winchester 200gr Subsonic factory ammo as well as my own reloads with 220gr SMK's and CFEBLK powder also at subsonic speeds.

Molon_Labe_Spartan_Worn_0004.jpg

Does it act the same with and without the can? Shouldn’t have to with swapping buffer weights but have you tried an adjustable gas block? Maybe the gas port size is off, have you borescoped it?

That setup fails to strip a subsonic round from the magazine suppressed or unsuppressed?