• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any experience with "blemished" bullets?

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
I just picked up a couple hundred blemished Nosler Ballistic Tip 140 grainers for the wife's 270.

Looking at these bullets, I don't see much difference between them and top shelf BTs and they still look better than some other companies' box offerings. My understanding is that any problems with these should be purely cosmetic, but do any of you experienced shooters have trigger time with Nosler's rejects? Should I bother hunting for a gilt-edge load with these or will I just be wasting my time? (With the 130s, her Remington 700 Stainless Synthetic consistently prints 5/8" 3-shot groups at 100 yards, so it seems to like Ballistic Tips pretty well.)

As always, thanks for the feedback. Although I got into shooting and hunting late in life, you guys have sure helped flatten the learning curve, and for that I'm grateful.
wink.gif

Re: Any experience with "blemished" bullets?

I have found that the Nosler 2nds shoot as well as the firsts that I have loaded. The only difference that I have found is the 25 caliber Accubonds that I bought had a cannelure.

I tested a five shot group and loaded up some with firsts and some with 2nds and they all shot into the same group.

My buddy and I buy them... I've had no trouble with the factory seconds offered by Nosler, they seem to shoot well out of the guns we test them in...

i got a bunch of 223 from midway a while back
they shot fine
i really didnt see anything wrong in the 1st box
and they were cheap
makes for good plinking ammo

Blemished bullets + Lemishine + hot water / time = unblemished bullets. Or, B+L+H/T=UB

i love blems, orphans, seconds and the tarnished.......both in wine ,beer and boolits

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love blems, orphans, seconds and the tarnished.......both in wine ,beer and boolits </div></div>

and brass...

Josh

with any b-tip bullet you want to roll it on a flat surface to see if the tip wobbles

I just got 499 Hornady 75gr AMAX .224 SECONDS from a fellow here and I can't tell the difference between these bulk packed bullets and some new factory stock that I have on hand. A few have some spots on them, but they look minty fresh.

$54 shipped, so not a bad deal.

Chris

They suck, y'all should all quit shooting them. I'll keep checking and let ya know when they shoot better.
They really shoot great out of everything I've run them in. Makes me want to run through the all the bullet company's with some quick tarnish they use for antiquing metals.

give them the once over and throw them in the tumbler and there fine.

ive had 1000 165 sierra game knings and 2500 winchester power points, both have been great even out to 1100 yards.

Thankee, gents. I 'spected as much, but wanted to get the lowdown from folks with hands-on experience.

With any luck, one of these puppies will take a trip through a whitetail's vitals this season. (Mmmmmmmmm..deeeeeeerrrrrr meats...) Angel has never hunted, so it should be a real interesting experience. I'll post up a review and pics in the hunting section if she connects.

I've got several different kinds of sierra's 2nds. The only kind I wasn't totally happy with was some .270 bullets that had lead hanging off the ends of them. Hunting bullets and my buddy that shoots them is still happy with them of course I cut the extra lead off and they're good for deer they don't seem to know the difference. The SMK's (168 & 175's) for .308 and (69) .223 all shoot great. Lucky for me the NRA range I shoot at is right up the road from Sedalia, Mo so I stop in when my stock gets low. Yes I shoot them in the matches too. Even cleaned a 300 yrd rapid fire once with the 69's. I'm sure its all my fault for not shooting a perect score every time.

In Sept 2004 a semi truck full of blem bullets from Hornady unloaded at Midsouth.

They could only put 80 pounds in each box and have UPS ship it.
I got many boxes.

It was 15 cents to 25 cents on the dollar.

45 CAL .451 DIA 250GR HIGH PERFORMANCE HOLLOW POINT
7MM .284 DIA 154GR ROUND NOSE
7MM .284 DIA 162GR BIG GAME POLY CARB TIP
7MM .284 DIA 175GR SPIRE POINT
30CAL .308 DIA 220GR ROUND NOSE
25CAL .257DIA 100GR SOFT POINT
6MM .243 DIA 100GR ROUND NOSE
45 CAL .458 DIA 350GR ROUND NOSE

Lock stock and barrel had blems and I got many boxes
22CAL .224DIA 35GR VMAX at 5 cents each

I can't remember who had the Hornady .224" 60 gr Tactical and Police [TAP] bullets at 3 cents each.

-----------------------
The .224 bullets worked out.
The pistol bullets worked out.
The 257 will shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yard average, which is what I would expect for a 100 gr bullet.
The SST bullet are great.

But the 7 mm, 243, 458, and 308 bullets in round nose are inaccurate and have short range ballistics. Yuck.