• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any experience with CEDLoad force neck tension

Unsichtbar

Online Training Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2008
Texas
Has anyone used a CED Load Force 250 or similar load cell systems to determine bullet seating force and neck condition. Did sorting ammunition with identical seating values enhance performance and ES or POI, if so to what extent? I anneal rounds after each five firings but would like to control neck tension.

Re: Any experience with CEDLoad force neck tension

Bump No engineer opinions?

Are you already turning the necks?

I have not turned the necks ID or OD. the brass I use most of the time is Lapua and the necks seem to be consistant in thickness, I anneal every 5th firing. I am useing a Lee collet die 3/4 size the neck, Forster Bump die/ no bushing, followed by running over a mandrel -.002.

I use Lapua too. My friend's collet die did not move the donuts I had to the outside of the neck. They were still detectable with gage pins. Order a few of them and check your brass. They're cheap, the ones that come in 0.0002" or 0.0005" increments only cost $2.50 each. I have a few in 0.001" increments (planning on getting the in-betweens). They are very handy for checking for obstructions at the base of the neck and for verifying neck tension.

Also, have you checked your neck runout? I stopped using the mandrel because it was creating runout. It's also no longer needed since I've started turning my necks.

The gage pins sound like a great idea, I checked the run out and it was .001 so far but that might change with repeated reloading, I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.

When we get our CED Pressure trace rig, I want to get some traces to compare. One excelent long time benchrest shooter I know uses a Lee Crimp die. I key he says is to only use with extra lite touch just enough to add a little preasure, not to crimp or distort the bullet. I never have heard of many top competitors doing that but it might be fun to get some traces and see if it is fact or fiction.