• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any Experience with the Air Dry Cerakote

smokshwn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2004
Salt Lake UT
Brownell's is carrying a cerakote product which is air dry. Has anyone got experience with the product???

Re: Any Experience with the Air Dry Cerakote

I just did a complete barreled action, a Stiller and Shilen #5. Had it out about half a dozen times at the range. Seems to be holding up so far. What I like about the air dry compared to the bake on, you can use a little, put the remainder away and use it a few months later.

How does the Air Dry Cerakote compare to Duracote?

No doubt that bake on Cerakote is the better than Duracote, just wondering how durable Air dry is.

I've painted two weapons now with Cerakote, one bake-on and one air-dry. The bake-on was more tricky for me because it stays wet untill it is baked. It was difficult getting it into my homebuilt oven without touching any of the surfaces. My other experience with back-on finishes like Norrell's, Gunkote, and Brownells the coating is somewhat dry when placed in the oven. Once I got past that difficulty my finish just didn't come out that well which was probably me. Then once you mix it you gotta use it. The more experienced users say the the bake on is more durable but I haven't had any problem so far with my air-dry. Actually of all of these I like Norrells the best. Durable and thin. Th easiest to apply so far is Brownell's moly coat although its a bit pricey. I would recommend you try the air-dry on a test piece , let it dry for a week like recommended and abuse it and see how it works. If you don't think its up to par you can always use the remainder for scopes and other non bakable parts. It'll last for about a year.

I used the air dry on a McM stock, barrels, action,etc. It worked great on all surfaces and is very durable. After using both Cerakote and Duracoat, I definitely prefer cerakote.

I used a bottle of 4 ounce air dry Cerakote to try it. It worked great and Carekote goes on so thin that a bottle lasts forever. The thing to look out for with the airdry is it'll clog up an airbrush pretty quick. Good stuff though, I'd recommend it at least as much as I'd suggest Duracoat.

I have heard very good things about the air dry cerakote... deffinately have on my list of things to hit up this year.

C-series(air dry) is very good.

It will continue to harden for up to a few months. They claim its cured in 5 days but its not. You can handle/assebmle/shoot after 5 days, but go easy on it as long as you can.

When your HVLP gun runs empty, or when you empty it to clean, dont blow air through the gun. Pour acetone in, spray that through the gun, then disassemble and clean the hell out of it. Guns can range form $35 to $350. The $350 ones are 10x as nice as the $35 ones and should last well over a year with proper cleaning.

thanks a bunch...just what I was hoping to hear...didn't want to go to the expense of building an oven.

The air cure is good stuff. One of the biggest down falls with it is that you can not adjust the sheen on it as you can with the H series.

I have a Paasche VL airbrush... you think it would do the trick for applying cerakote C series?