• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any experience witj 6.5-06

Re: any experience witj 6.5-06

looking to build a bench/long range groundhog gun and just want to know what others thought of the caliber

I had one built on a 700 with a 28 inch Douglas 12 years ago. I put around 2000 rounds through it before I had a buddy talk me out of it. I built it for groundhogs. I used 95 gr vmax in it. Great 500 yard rifle. Longest kill was 748. I like the 95's they were very explosive. Great for groundhog and no worrys about ricochets. I wish I had it back. Although I am sure the barrel needs a couple inche cut off and rechambered by now.

10tw will spit the lighter 95-110gr 6.5mm bullets at screaming velocities.

Mine were in 8tw tubes and I was launching 140 Berger VLD's at 3150fps from a 28" tube.

I would do an 8.5tw on another tube since it has so much "giddy-up" the limiting factor for me was getting those bullets going so fast that they came apart in an 8tw. The 8.5tw will give you a little more margin.

Target rifle barrel life for me was right about 1500rd, depends on how you shoot it and how fast you push it but that was my limit for a sub 3/4 MOA cut off. It is a very accurate round and used to enjoy a lot of attention in long range benchrest.

Look at:

120class bullets = H4831sc
130s = H4831sc and H1000
140s = H1000 and Retumbo
155s = Retumbo

Cauteruccio makes 155's and there are some old 155 SMK's out there too.