• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Fence Contractors Here: No-Climb/Horse Fence Specifically

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
I'm in the process of getting my property fenced with 5' no-climb horse fence. The corners and transitions are lodge pole frames and then t-posts in the field. My property is anything but flat and my question is will the 5' no-climb skew with the terrain so the vertical wires stay vertical or does it need to be run at a bias so the vertical wires are perpendicular to the terrain? The contractor is installing it at a bias and I personally think it looks like crap but I don't want to call him out on it if that's the way it needs to be done. This is 2200 linear foot job that I will be staring at for years to come so I want to make sure it is the way I want it, provided it can be done that way.

Last edited:
Im not a contractor but Ive built a bit of fence. I always keep the posts plumb, then allow the wire to follow the terrain. If the posts arent plumb then it will look like shit. I wouldnt hesitate to ask him questions and express my opinion. Like you said, youre paying for it and will have to look at it. He goes home at the end of the job.

You have to do little shorter sections to adapt to the contour. I have put up miles of no climb on my places. I have a love hate with it. Love how well it works when it's in and lasts a long time. Putting it in sucks. It doesn't stretch enough to roll with the contours. My new place is going to be terrible to fence. Lots of elevation change in a valley, and the creek going in and out.

Same as above posts have to be plumb.

Last edited:
Im not a contractor but Ive built a bit of fence. I always keep the posts plumb, then allow the wire to follow the terrain. If the posts arent plumb then it will look like shit. I wouldnt hesitate to ask him questions and express my opinion. Like you said, youre paying for it and will have to look at it. He goes home at the end of the job.

Posts are all plumb and look good. It just looks like crap in my opinion when the wire doesn't match.

You have to do little shorter sections to adapt to the contour. I have put up miles of no climb on my places. I have a love hate with it. Love how well it works when it's in and lasts a long time. Putting it in sucks. It doesn't stretch enough to roll with the contours. My new place is going to be terrible to fence. Lots of elevation change in a valley, and the creek going in and out.

That sounds like what I was afraid of.

Really difficult to get a picture.

Attachments

• photo64421.jpg
    photo64421.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 10
  • photo64422.jpg
    photo64422.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 14
I got lucky my current place is almost perfectly flat, new place is cool, but in a valley. You can run up/down a slope with a vertical post and the fence terminating at an angle. So the verticals will pretty much run perpendicular to the ground.

I don't know that wire and I'm not a fencing contractor. With wove wire (cattle wire), posts are plumb and wire follows contour of ground. Are they tying assemblies or is it just the wood post in concrete that keeps the fence tight? What keeps a high tensile fence (I don't know if this applies to your type of fence) looking good for years is the assemblies. This is especially important in rough terrain. Assemblies are needed not just on typical spacing, but also in contour transitions (top of hill, bottom of hill). If I'm using 6.5' 3.5" line posts, assemblies will be 8' 6" and tied with high tensile 9 ga wire.