• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Any "firearm" Owners out there? i.e.., Mossberg Shockwave, Remington TAC-13 or Tac-14

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    Since it is neither shotgun, pistol or rifle but just a "firearm," I thought I'd start a thread on them. Their uses are limited but I can't help being attracted to them. So far, I got a Remington TAC-13 and TAC-14.

Some of the YouTubers are holding these things up in front of their face when discharging the weapon. I'm not that good but need to shoot from the hip. At a distance of 10-15 yards I'm not too bad with the TAC-14.

I have not had a chance to shoot the TAC-13 yet but that didn't stop me from mounting a Steamlight weapon/laser on top of the vent rib barrel. The laser is green and I've had good luck seeing the dot in daylight conditions.

That looks odd but consider this. In a life or death situation, I may not have the luxury of holding it up to my face and aiming. Maybe I'm looking at this thing bass-akwards but the laser should be considered the primary aiming device.

If I still need to aim the shotgun, I can look over or past the light.

I got a vent rib-to-picatinny rail adapter from Meadow Creek Mounts:

The weapon light is the Streamlight TLR RM 2:

As popular as these firearms have become, I wonder if they have opened up a new class of competition with them at the three-gun events.

IMG_4081.jpg

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    I haven’t shot anything from this class of firearm, but Rhett Neumayer’s approach looks interesting — maybe he was the person you were referencing. He attaches a recoil strap to the raptor grip, and that seems to make his style of shooting more feasible.

Demonstrated Concepts Recoil Strap

I’m interested in the V3, but I’d like to hear more about reliability before I jump on board.

They fit in a Yamaha violin case just fine . When traveling I rather have that in my room than nothing at all . I think the naysayers have never shot one or tried but failed because they were afraid and turned their heads like scared little girls .

They fit in a Yamaha violin case just fine . When traveling I rather have that in my room than nothing at all . I think the naysayers have never shot one or tried but failed because they were afraid and turned their heads like scared little girls .
    Exactly. I had fun shooting the TAC-14 and it’s better than having nothing.

Plus a RMR! And a pistol grip! And a ported muzzle!!

How hasn’t that dangerous thing already left a major metropolis in ruins?

View attachment 8208375

But seriously, at the ranges you’d use such a thing, wouldn’t a 17-21-shot pistol be more effective?
    I debated that question as well. In the final analysis, I bought these guns because they were unique and different. The other factor was that they could be of use in the right scenario. There's also the fun factor.

I finally got around to testing the TAC-13 and the laser/light combo that's mounted in an unconventional manner. I tried a box of cheap imported ammunition that resulted in a failure to feed on every third round. The Federal ammunition worked flawlessly, had more recoil and muzzle blast.

IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4100.jpg

I've got a number of them.....their main benefit is as a SBS platform...

As a "firearm" they are really just a fun range toy.....the grip angle is wrong and it makes them kind of unwieldy.....they are handy for tossing in a duffle traveling though

Register it as an AOW and replace that raptor grip with a pistol grips and they are far more practical as a short range, room clearing weapon.
    If the NFA ever falls, I plan on turning them into an SBS.

I've got a Rem tac 14 that I use for breaching. Honestly never thought about any other use for it. Might need to SBS it since I don't have any of those.

Had a shockwave and I loved the stupid thing. Sadly it lives elsewhere now. I liked it for just goofing off of course, but it was good for travel and leaving in the truck with things got sketchy in recent years.
    How you shoot it depends on you, some folks are just naturally better at "point shooting". Some people can get better at with practicing, others not so much. Some folks will need to "aim".

I did a lot of point shooting and shooting pistols from the hip when I was a kid (which is about one of the oddest sounding things I've ever typed, but it's true. When I was 11 my dad gave me a .22 revolver, but it shot miles higher than the sights. So I played hollywood cowboy instead.) So I'm pretty good at it with something easy like a shotgun. I used to put on a large shotgun match every year, mostly knock down steel, and I would test how heavy the poppers were set with it, shooting it from farther away than the competitors would in the match. If I could knock them down with the short cylinder bore, they had no excuse. One evening doing final setup, I had friend with me who kind of scoffed at the idea of them. I went all the way to the back of the pit, probably 35-40 yards, and from the hip cleared the 18 or so knock downs in about 20 shots (with some cheap Fiocchi buckshot).

I would laugh at the people shooting mini shells in theirs, while I was shooting full power 00 buck. I did shoot some 3" 00 Buck once, that wasn't exactly enjoyable, and five was enough for me. :)

Reactions: Longshot231
    I got a Shockwave as a surprise gift from wifey. She googled "most fun gun to shoot" and that was the result.

At first, I thought "What the fuck am I going to do with this?" I did some searches on YouTube and down the rabbit hole I went!
    Shockwave-and-DT-forend.jpg

Shockwave-&-GG&G-Side-Saddle-Shotshell-Carrier.jpg
    Tri-rail-and-QD.jpg

It IS a hoot! I also added the Defender Tactical "Universal" mini-shell adapter. It allows the use of standard or mini or "shorty" shells, even at the same time (mixed).

Then my wife surprised me AGAIN...
    1694271137762.png

Zombie-Apocalypse-Response-Kit.jpg

I don't agree that it's a "useless" firearm. It could very well have a place in the spectrum of defensive firearms.
    1694270807705.png
    1694271488770.png

This guy shows its versatility in the "right hands." Impressive! Dude on the left with a Shockwave.

Last edited:
    the grip angle is wrong and it makes them kind of unwieldy.....they are handy for tossing in a duffle traveling though

Register it as an AOW and replace that raptor grip with a pistol grips and they are far more practical as a short range, room clearing weapon.

Actually, the bird's head grip angle is just right. Much more comfortable in recoil than a pistol grip.

and on the mossbergs, under recoil, it shoves the safety into the web of your hand.

Definitely not my experience. But I'm using this nifty and highly recommended accessory:
    Shockwave-Recoil-Strap.jpg

It makes gripping the Shockwave like slipping on a snug glove. Really. Total control without having to use a G.I. Joe Kung-Fu grip.

Last edited:
    Last edited:
    Don't know about naysayers but a pistol-like weapon that can discharge repeat full powered loads of buckshot, buck n' ball, birdshot, or a solid slug with the same power level as the US M1842 rifled musket seems pretty darn useful to me in certain situations. It fills the gap between a compact folding survival bow and a .357 Magnum revolver/1911. And style points? It's DEFINITELY got pretty cool Old West and outlaw biker vibes. One of them carried in a horse or motorcycle rig will certainly be a nice conversation starter.

Reactions: Longshot231
    Having shot quite a few “firearms” - you think you’re beating the system when you own one, but you’re not. Might as well drop the $200 on a stamp to build a hammer.

you think you’re beating the system when you own one
    Not in the least. Not at all. The Shockwave is a really fun and cool piece that happens to not require double-secret permission. But I no more am trying to "beat the system" with the Shockwave than I am trying to "beat the system" by building 80% guns. It's legal, and it's fun.

Might as well drop the $200 on a stamp to build a hammer.
    Not at all interested in an NFA item. It's why I'll never own a suppressor unless they either come off the NFA or the NFA is abolished altogether. To me, the juice isn't worth the squeeze (expense and paperwork). It would be cool to add a suppressor to my FNP-45 Tactical (which happens to have a threaded barrel). But I'm simply not interested in jumping through the bureaucratic hoops and being on a "list" just so I can lower the decibels. I wear double ear pro, instead.

Reactions: Romeo458
    It would be cool to add a suppressor to my FNP-45 Tactical (which happens to have a threaded barrel). But I'm simply not interested in jumping through the bureaucratic hoops and being on a "list" just so I can lower the decibels. I wear double ear pro, instead.

Come to the dark side!

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

• Haha
    Reactions: Racer88
    Not in the least. Not at all. The Shockwave is a really fun and cool piece that happens to not require double-secret permission. But I no more am trying to "beat the system" with the Shockwave than I am trying to "beat the system" by building 80% guns. It's legal, and it's fun.

Not at all interested in an NFA item. It's why I'll never own a suppressor unless they either come off the NFA or the NFA is abolished altogether. To me, the juice isn't worth the squeeze (expense and paperwork). It would be cool to add a suppressor to my FNP-45 Tactical (which happens to have a threaded barrel). But I'm simply not interested in jumping through the bureaucratic hoops and being on a "list" just so I can lower the decibels. I wear double ear pro, instead.

I hate to break it too you, but you're already on a list....

Now that you can't use that excuse, I believe not being poor would solve your other one.

Cans are fun. I have 4, when I started with "I'll just get one because I can only shoot one at a time". Now it just seems rude to go without. Hunting, matches, plinking, practice, all are less enjoyable without a can.

Takes about 20 minutes the first time you go to a silencer shop kiosk. It took me longer to decide on which can. Takes about 5 minutes every time after the first as the picture and prints are done already.

Of course, your picture is already in a list, prints also if you've ever been printed. So quit being a paranoid schizophrenic.

I hate to break it too you, but you're already on a list....

Now that you can't use that excuse, I believe not being poor would solve your other one.
    Yes... I'm on several lists, I'm sure.... as most of us are. I don't want to be on THAT list, particularly. And FWIW, I'm not "a poor." LOL! I just spent nearly triple the cost of a typical "can" on a Colt Python. I've got a "few" other guns, too.

Your (rather weak) argument reminds me of the people who bug their own homes with a "smart speaker" and blow off the privacy concerns by rationalizing (to themselves, really), "Your privacy is already compromised." Yeah... But I don't want to compromise it MORE for the convenience of accessing recipes with voice commands. :)

Cans are fun. I have 4, when I started with "I'll just get one because I can only shoot one at a time". Now it just seems rude to go without. Hunting, matches, plinking, practice, all are less enjoyable without a can.
    I know they are! I've fired some nifty guns with cans and even integrally suppressed rifles. It is very cool! Still won't buy one myself.

Of course, your picture is already in a list, prints also if you've ever been printed. So quit being a paranoid schizophrenic.
    As I said before... I understand ALL too well that I cannot lead a truly private life without some of my personal information being compromised. But, I disagree with your (and widely-held) opinion that if you compromise SOME of it, you might as well compromise ALL of it. Nope. Not gonna do it.

I have my line in the sand, which may be different than yours... you may not have one at all. NFA registration is my line in the sand. The juice isn't worth the squeeze TO ME. Currently, that's the system. I'm simply not willing to do it. It's not worth it to me.

Yes... I'm on several lists, I'm sure.... as most of us are. I don't want to be on THAT list, particularly. And FWIW, I'm not "a poor." LOL! I just spent nearly triple the cost of a typical "can" on a Colt Python. I've got a "few" other guns, too.

Your (rather weak) argument reminds me of the people who bug their own homes with a "smart speaker" and blow off the privacy concerns by rationalizing (to themselves, really), "Your privacy is already compromised." Yeah... But I don't want to compromise it MORE for the convenience of accessing recipes with voice commands. :)

I know they are! I've fired some nifty guns with cans and even integrally suppressed rifles. It is very cool! Still won't buy one myself.

As I said before... I understand ALL too well that I cannot lead a truly private life without some of my personal information being compromised. But, I disagree with your (and widely-held) opinion that if you compromise SOME of it, you might as well compromise ALL of it. Nope. Not gonna do it.

I have my line in the sand, which may be different than yours... you may not have one at all. NFA registration is my line in the sand. The juice isn't worth the squeeze TO ME. Currently, that's the system. I'm simply not willing to do it. It's not worth it to me.

Ah, yes. The ramblings of a paranoid scitzo.

You get the real tin foil or did you settle for the aluminum?

• Haha
    Reactions: Racer88
    You get the real tin foil or did you settle for the aluminum?
    Gold, baby! Gold foil is the best. I already told you I'm not a poor.

Sorry you can only feel validated when others do exactly the same as you. Enjoy your cans. :) Really.

Now pardon me while I get back to the voices in my head.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: chevy_man