• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any folding stock adapters that fold to the right?

Chingon

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 28, 2012
    NOVA
    So I've got a bolty pistol rig and currently have a Hera folding adapter and I got to thinking, does or has anyone made a folding adapter that folds successfully to the right without any interference from the bolt lift? Has anyone modified one to do just so? I know Deadfoot makes an AR adapter that may work, but at 300 bones, would it work?

Are you looking for a folder for a bolt gun or AR? I've run the MDT carbine to carbine folding adapter "upside down" to fold to the right on a gas gun with a side charger. Whether or not the stock interferes with "bolt lift" (which I assume you mean as being able to have the stock folded and the bolt handle not be in the way?) on a bolt gun will have more to do with which stock you use (assuming and AR-type stock).

Reactions: Badjujuu
    Are you looking for a folder for a bolt gun or AR? I've run the MDT carbine to carbine folding adapter "upside down" to fold to the right on a gas gun with a side charger. Whether or not the stock interferes with "bolt lift" (which I assume you mean as being able to have the stock folded and the bolt handle not be in the way?) on a bolt gun will have more to do with which stock you use (assuming and AR-type stock).

Attachments

• 20201010_174334.jpg
      20201010_174334.jpg
      409 KB · Views: 223
    • 20201010_174504.jpg
      20201010_174504.jpg
      538.2 KB · Views: 286
    Cool blaster! Yeah I don't think there is anything purpose built that you'll be able to know will fit without trying it yourself. You could try an MDT carbine to fixed adapter and then use their XTN interface folder which folds to the right and generally doesn't touch the bolt handle (at least not on any of my R700s and custom clones).

Contact XLR about thier "Element" folder.
    I added one to a chassis a while back. I can't remember or look at it to see if it can be reversed. If it can I think bolt handle clearance is going to depend on your buttstock configuration. The XLR does not lock folded iirc.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    I have a XLR envy pro, which is Ambi. Was able to rotate the folding mechanism so the stock folds on the right hand side on the chassis.

Now the mechanism is one thing, trying to get it folded with bolt down depends on your stock.

Reactions: Halfnutz
    I was hoping someone tried a Dead Foot Arms folder. Looks to work great with a gas gun, wondering about the fit and function on a bolty.

deadfoot-arms-folding-stock-adapter-ar-15-f.jpg

I’ll ask. Why would it matter what side the stock folds to?

Think soft case or sling bag. If everything laid to the right (or left if you're strange-handed), your bolt action would lay flat, no awkward stock on one side, or the bolt lift digging into your back in a sling bag. Sure, you could remove the bolt, but it would defeat the purpose of having a ready-rifle.

Interference with bolt lift is not so much a function of the folding adapter as it is the AR-15 buffer tube mounting system and if you're trying to have the bolt and the folded stock on the same side. I keep the bolt and stock on opposite sides when folded. Things built on AR-15 buffer tube mounted butt stocks will necessarily not escape the bolt/stock interference issue when trying to have them on the same side.

One thing of note on the XLR folding stock adaptor.
    When installing it upside down so it folds to the right that puts the set screw on the top of the folder which will come down on the threads of the buffer tube. I had a gun smith drill and tap what is now the bottom of the folding adaptor so that the set screw is where it belongs so that it lands on the bottom of the buffer tube where there are no threads.

I used the MDT carbine adapter upside down as well.
    Just keeping the thread alive.

For legality, it has to be folded to the right and sit high enough to block the bolt from closing, or it would be considered too short for a weapon that can be fired in that configuration, according to law.

It's a bit frustrating left-handed shooters and hunters within EU law have so few legal configurations, when all we need is a left-handed configuration

What’s the general consensus now between the MDT carbine carbine folding adapter vs the newer XLR folder ? I do like that the XLR is a bit more compact but seems like the MDT has better lockup.

I had to glue my carbine/carbine folding stock adapter into the socket on my MDT chassis, it came loose and wiggly.

You can't fasten it with a castle nut, and the set screw is a wee bit small for its job of securing a 2 pound object to a 6 pound object that is going to be twisted, bumped and knocked in the woods.

Last edited: