• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any Glock People here?

srt_1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Steubenville, OH
I'm an armorer for our department. I've been tear apart and cleaning and fixing Glocks for the past 10 years.

Today, I was cleaning one of the department Glocks and I found the spring cups to be deteriorated. When I pulled them off the firing pin, they both just fell apart.

So, my question to anyone that has any input on this matter, is Do you think using a solvent, such as Gun Scrubber on the plastic parts of a Glock would in time cause the parts to brake apart?

I have never seen anything like that happen before and curious if time or something would cause that kind of damage?

Re: Any Glock People here?

Anything that would FUBAR the spring cups would also screw up the sleeve, frame, and mag, mag release, any problems with those?

I guess It could. I just wipe them down with a paper towel and reinstall dry. But like 427 said, it would have the same effect on the other plastic parts inside the slide also. Call Glock and run it buy them, they may have a good answer for you.

Thanks guys...That is the only problem I've found. No other parts are damaged or worn out.

Could just be a fluke, I was thinking from wear and tear, but then when I found out which officer the gun belonged to, I quickly knew he wasn't using it enough to be wear and tear...haha

This is precisley why I don't clean my glocks. Only bad things can happen. Besides, I think a healthy coat of carbon is kinda like rustproofing. Never had em fail yet. Infact i've gotten rid of all my other pistols except for them.

BAZ,
As a fellow Glock armorer I'd like to hear what GLOCK has to say. Do you have them, can you send them back? I bet the officer will say he never did anything to the gun. I see it way too often, where they drop oil into the firing pin channel.
Jack

How did you find this, was there a malfunction or a routine inspection?

jackinfl...I found the problem after a routine inspection. We qualified last month and I've been inspecting and cleaning weapons since then. And the officer only said he's used Gun Scrubber to clean it in the past.

Were they possibly Glock maritime spring-cups? If so, it is possible maritime spring cups are weaker by design or material?

I'd like to know what GLOCK says also.
The only issues I've ever heard with the spring cups is they tend to fly off into parts unknown
wink.gif

I believe gun scrubber has two formulas. one that is safe on plastic, and one that is not. I would say that gun scrubber could damage the cups. I am going through our glocks now also and have not found any problems. I use gunzilla to clean all our firearms.

Seirra..I'll have to check and see what kind of gun scrubber the officer used/uses...I too went through the rest of the Glocks and did not find any others to be damage. So I'm wondering if was just some fluke?

I've never heard of this. I'm also interested in what Glcok has to say. I've had maritime spring cups in my 19 for at least 10 years. They look as good as new.

My bet would be solvent in the slide.

The same solvent on the frame may not cause a problem if it can evaporate. Trapped in the firing pin channel it could cause problems.

As others have said, I would call Glock and let them know.

That is interesting. I have yet to see deterioration on any of the Glocks I have had apart. If everything else is good I would replace and move on.

Please let us know what Glock has to say.

I'd like to know what they used to make the cups deteriorate so everyone on here knows what not to use on their glocks.

Is he one of the guys that thinks that using Brake Cleaner on his Glock is a good idea? Just a thought. Hopefully just a fluke accident.

As another armorer I've never seen this either. Gun scrubber is pretty harsh stuff though and could well have deteriorated the cups over time. In my experience solvents if improperly used tend to act like super-glue and bond the polymer together which is why I tell my guys not to dunk them! At the end of the day though it's a $.50 fix.

Used properly it should not cause damage. Maybe if the firearm is just sprayed down (without disasymbling) and the solvent gets into the striker area and cause damage if it is allowed to sit for an extended amount of time????? I know it is designed to evaporate but if it is concentrated in a confined area it may not be a good thing. Just an idea?????