• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any good source for used Anschutz or Walther (or similar) single shot match/target rifles?

1500varmint

Well-Armed Pacifist
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2018
One of my kids has been shooting with a Jr Rifle club for a couple of years and enjoys the activity. She's not winning championships, but she enjoys the competition. She's headed to college next year, but my youngest is showing an interest now, so I was considering the idea of picking up a target rifle for us to have in the house.

Our rifle club has some good loaners that they let the team use (Anschutz 1903's) , so I don't HAVE to get one, but if there are forums or groups that regularly sell used ones I could start lurking there and grab one if a good deal comes along.

I presume the honest answer is that a "great deal" on one of these is like finding a unicorn?

I see them pop up on Gunbroker from time to time, depending on who is bidding and how it is listed there are some great deals to be had. Rimfire Central classifieds is another good place to start.

Reactions: 1500varmint
Hi,

IIRC @168BTHPM has a rather large collection of single shot match grade 22RF he was selling some of.

Sincerely,
Theis
I do have a large collection of small bore target rifles. I am out of town right now. PM me next week and when I get home I will send you a list of what I have.

Search the firearms auction houses such as CT Firearms Auction, Poulin or Invaluable. They have two Winchester 52's, a Stevens 416, and a Anschutz 54 Super Match for sale right now. As for deals? These fine match grade rifles will sell for their true market value. That said, I have purchased similar rifles in the last 8 years that most recent being a few months ago and they are usually prized collector examples that Grandpa cherished and handed down to his grandchildren who had been taught in school that guns are evil and decided to cash them out instead of keep them (My opinion). You NEVER find used weapons this nice at gun shows. You may pay more at auction but you can get a fine weapon. I don't usually sell rifles but I do have an old 1974 vintage Remington 540XR with the factory original peeps on it. It would make a nice student marksman rifle but is not going to be quite as good an an Anschutz or Walther but then the price is about half what one of those would bring. I won the ARA National Factory class tournament with it in 2020 with a scope attached but it is no longer eligible for that series due to rule changes. ARA told me it was too good for their factory matches. It shot 194 perfect shots out of 200 in that match so, it is capable of some stunning accuracy. It has an adjustable length of pull stock which helps with junior shooters. PM me if interested. It is not pretty but like I said is a proven shooter. You can find some of its groups in the early 6x5 challenge threads. It likes Lapua and my personal proprietary cleaning regimen. I also have a nice Stevens 416 "X" barrel repeater tgt rifle that I would sell. It is old but looks nice and is cheaper than the Remington. It looks and performs similar to a Win model 75.

One of my kids has been shooting with a Jr Rifle club for a couple of years and enjoys the activity. She's not winning championships, but she enjoys the competition. She's headed to college next year, but my youngest is showing an interest now, so I was considering the idea of picking up a target rifle for us to have in the house.

Our rifle club has some good loaners that they let the team use (Anschutz 1903's) , so I don't HAVE to get one, but if there are forums or groups that regularly sell used ones I could start lurking there and grab one if a good deal comes along.

I presume the honest answer is that a "great deal" on one of these is like finding a unicorn?
It is not impossible to find a good deal on a target rifle, however its is more challenging to get the CORRECT target rifle - especially for a jr female shooter. The "vintage" rifles are often too heavy and lack the modern ergonomics needed for successful prone and position competition. Stick with something recent as the triggers and stocks are typically much more adjustable also.

Depending on your daugher's stature, an Anschutz 1903 is not a bad introductory model and they often pop up on Target Talk for a decent price with sights. On occasion, an older 1807 may appear for nearly the same price as a 1903 - and the 1807 has a significantly better action and trigger. As for older Walthers, they are out there but I would stick w/ Anschutz or Feinwerkbau for an older rifle. (Some of the older Walthers do not accept all of the modern Anschutz/FWB accessories as their sights had different dovetail sizes and the accessory rail was also different.)

I never recommend any of the auction sites and the sellers often have little idea on what they are posting for sale. I prefer to stick within the known competition community as if there is an issue it is more likely to be resolved vs dealing blind on an auction site.

Posting a WTB is a good approach on TargetTalk might also shake the trees vs just waiting for someone to get a used rifle posted.

Another option is to attend some local matches where rifles are often available. In many instances, an honest seller will let your daughter shoot the rifle before purchase. In any instance, if they don't want to let you shoot it first, pass on it. Again, buyer beware if the "spidey senses" start to tingle.

With junior shooters and level of interest, its always a challenge to balance how much to spend on a rifle. If she is showing only moderate interest, it might just be better to invest in a well fitting shooting coat, sling, glove and mat for right now and still use the club rifle until her interest is more defined. When interest is greater, go for the pants and boots along w/ the rifle. The last thing you want to do is drop $1500 and in a week or two find out that interests/hobbies have changed.

I've been shooting smallbore competitively for almost 40 years. I will PM my contact info that if you have any questions you can contact me an I will give an experienced opinion. Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
ken

I would add another possible source could be to check with the coaches of any of your local college rifle teams. You might catch a student graduating who wants to sell their rifle. Agree that it is good to be able to shoot a rifle before you buy but in my experience it is rare to find a match tgt rifle that has been shot out. Most that won't shoot benefit greatly from a thorough cleaning of the bbl. True that some bbl's get damaged by improper cleaning technique but this happens less often with a quality match rifle since the past owners usually have someone coaching them on the "Right Way". Worst case you might need to replace a bbl. The multi-year GARC Champion WVU rifle team has a number of its members shooting Anschutz rifles with Lilja bbls.

Over the last 5 or 6 years I have purchased several used match grade 22s like 40Xs, a Walther Olympic rifle, a couple of ex-military competition rifles and a few Anschutz sporters for my wife (who OFTEN kicks my butt, wins matches and has set a couple of club records!) and I to shoot in various matches. I have gotten them from MANY sources to include buddies, swap meets at bigger matches, online, gun shows and in swap/trade deals. In my opinion, you just have to keep your ear to the ground and when one comes up, wherever it might appear, take quick action or it will be gone. New rifles MAY not be quite so "chancey", but one problem with purchasing a rifle that you can't shoot to try it out is that you just never know if you are getting good one or some one else's junk---and it seems to be pretty much "luck of the draw" unless you're spending WWAAYY more than I do and buying a new rifle!. Not to mention that 22 rifles CAN BE pretty picky about what ammunition they like and you could possible try one out that just WON'T SHOOT the ammo you happen to try in it. As an example of both of those things, I picked up a 40X at a swap meet one time based upon the rifles "general reputation" without an opportunity to try it out. When I got it home a couple of weeks later and tried it with several brands/models of ammo, it shot what I pretty much considered to be "shotgun groups". o_O Well, it WAS a Mid-60's rifle so I figured that it had either been ruined with a cleaning rod somewhere along the way or maybe just NEVER, EVER cleaned, so I figured I'd try cleaning it REALLY, REALLY good and either make it shoot or just completely KILL it and then re-barrel it. Luckily, it went from "shotgun groups" to shooting sometimes well under one MOA at 100 yards with its "preferred ammo" on a nice calm day and I now love it and shoot it in competitions, often doing well in them!

The attached pic was shot in a Mini-Palma with the 40X that used to shoot the shotgun groups. The "X" ring is just a tad under 1 inch and this was shot at 100 yards. Needless to say, I was quite tickled with the rifle!

Attachments

• IMG_1477 (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_1477 (Mobile).JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Mac Tilton used to import used club rifles from Europe, and also had a goodly number of used Anschutz rifles sourced from here in the States. I'd purchased a NIB H&R M12 from the CMP, and although it was a pretty decent shooting rifle, the factory stock was a club. When I started talking with some of my High Power friends about re-stocking it, one of the guys voiced the opinion that I'd be far better off to contact Mac and make a trade with him for a nice used Anschutz. I took his advice, called Mac, and he agreed to a trade for a very nice 1611 w/sights for about half what a new stock for the H&R would've cost me. Never regretted that trade... Too bad Mac's no longer with us - he passed away in April of 2018. Mark Chesebro took over Mac's rifle business several years before Mac's passing, but I have no idea whether he's got anything like the hundreds of used smallbore target rifles that Mac used to keep in stock...

Mac Tilton used to import used club rifles from Europe, and also had a goodly number of used Anschutz rifles sourced from here in the States. I'd purchased a NIB H&R M12 from the CMP, and although it was a pretty decent shooting rifle, the factory stock was a club. When I started talking with some of my High Power friends about re-stocking it, one of the guys voiced the opinion that I'd be far better off to contact Mac and make a trade with him for a nice used Anschutz. I took his advice, called Mac, and he agreed to a trade for a very nice 1611 w/sights for about half what a new stock for the H&R would've cost me. Never regretted that trade... Too bad Mac's no longer with us - he passed away in April of 2018. Mark Chesebro took over Mac's rifle business several years before Mac's passing, but I have no idea whether he's got anything like the hundreds of used smallbore target rifles that Mac used to keep in stock...
Mac Tilton at MT Guns has been out of business for about 10 years. He sold out to a guy in CA and moved south. He and his wife were having health issues. I have also bought many guns from Mac, he is a great guy but just not in the business anymore.