• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any good video game to help practice target shooting?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
I was wondering if anyone knows of any PC video games where you can practice long range shooting.

My issue is I spend a lot of time getting down my Mrads and MOA, only to not target practice for many months or even a year and forgetting the ranging.

This is something which if I had a video game I could keep everything fresh in my head. I think certain aspects or target practice can easily be simulated on the computer and you don't need to go to the range to practice.

It seems every time I go to the range I'm just trying to remember how to range my scope and then I waste a lot of time trying to gain back the skill that I knew just a few months earlier but forgot. Even stupid stuff like adjusting the scope up or down when zeroing my rifle I forget.

I feel like for me the pixels / computer screen just makes it too artificial to link what I do on the computer to the real world, like milling targets for distance.

Granted, I have not spent practically any time on my computer for few years.

However, me and my teammate planned to try Arma3 if we could improve our shooter/spotter communication and other skills that are not directly linked to shooting, for competitions that are done in teams of 2 or 3.

Reactions: Randy Fox
I second Arma 3. There's some mods on Steam that allow different optics/reticles/rifles/calibres as well

Dry fire and shoot more?

Practice ranging with your reticle and then check your accuracy with a lrf?

Keep a dope card and memorize it?

I only shoot once a week, if that. Plenty of opportunities to practice at home without video games.

This arma3 thing sounds intriguing though.

Reactions: RichMangus
I was wondering if anyone knows of any PC video games where you can practice long range shooting.
Almost like a video game but better, I just got a DFAT. It allows me to set up a shooting range in my living room and practice most aspects of shooting using your own gun and "real" targets on paper. I have been using mags with snap caps to even emulate the entire process.

I have made my own DFAT for backyard training from a piece of cardboard but dryfire I do with Scatt MX-W2. Even that does not need to be always on, but it does give solid numbers on performance which is good.

Ultimately all the tools and gadgets lose to determined training that is done being focused to the task. I also recommend recording video of moving etc.

Arma can certainly fit some roles of training that cannot be done dry-firing once you can simulate the reality enough well. The project for my team is in ice for now but will be continued during the winter at latest.

I have made my own DFAT for backyard training from a piece of cardboard but dryfire I do with Scatt MX-W2. Even that does not need to be always on, but it does give solid numbers on performance which is good.

Is your DFAT just a circle cutout into the objective end of your scope? I just received my DFAT and while I know there is some sort of Glass in there it does not seem to be a lense of any sort.

dont know id this is a good time or thread ... but i got a PS5 if anyone interested. I didnt list in PX due to it being out there, but if there is any love for video games I got one as my kids were more interested in their ipads. PM me if you looking for one

Is your DFAT just a circle cutout into the objective end of your scope? I just received my DFAT and while I know there is some sort of Glass in there it does not seem to be a lense of any sort.
Yep, just a small hole in the center to maximize depth of field (DOF) so I can focus my rifle down to 6 meters. The bad side is that parallax is a huuuuge problem at that distance. Does not hurt the excercise itself but it is freaking merciless.