• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Ham radio guys here?

Samuel Whittemore

in memory
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2018
    Jumping both feet into the Ham radio world. Waiting for my Kenwood D74 to arrive. Studying like I got OCD... some of it starting to make sense. The math is where I'll suck.

Any guys here Hams? I want to get to the General license so I can be on HF world wide.

Incredibly geekville stuff I gotta say. More acronyms than Ive ever seen

Last edited:
    Thanks a ton! That many years into it Maxwell you must be the Jedi master of the art!

So eventually I'll definitely get the 7300...but because I suspect the landlord won't take kindly to mounting antennas, (ha) for now it's just the handheld. But its top of the line so should keep me busy for a spell. A lot to wrap my head around. I just got the concept of repeaters, offsets and tone understood. This is incredibly fun.

That’s right 😏😉😎 You CAN do a lot with very little really, but it’s great...Radios and an antenna (or three or four) old school cool school. Talk to guys all over the world. And learn about computer logging and qrz.com with a payed subscription service link to your logger is tits. 🤙

Last edited:
    Do ham operators still use these antennas? My wife’s family has one they’ve talked about giving away. I don’t know what it would take to take this down, or if it’s even worth the effort. I do know that I’m not taking it down. What do you guys say; is it worth taking down, or should I cut the guy wires and let it fall?

DD392ED8-FEF5-4686-804F-11F32A0A4950.jpeg

225E3654-0E61-47F9-BD79-5F550514C278.jpeg

Thanks a ton! That many years into it Maxwell you must be the Jedi master of the art!

So eventually I'll definitely get the 7300...but because I suspect the landlord won't take kindly to mounting antennas, (ha) for now it's just the handheld. But its top of the line so should keep me busy for a spell. A lot to wrap my head around. I just got the concept of repeaters, offsets and tone understood. This is incredibly fun.

Depending on your property, you should be able to get away with it.
    If it's a house with a yard, you can stick an antenna in the back yard.

You can also run antenna wires along the sides or eaves of the house or up trees or along fences

You can have your antenna built into your lawn umbrella

If you have an attic you can put a big antenna array in there

Also you can have some pretty decent HF mobile antennas on a vehicle

lots of options.

Do ham operators still use these antennas? My wife’s family has one they’ve talked about giving away. I don’t know what it would take to take this down, or if it’s even worth the effort. I do know that I’m not taking it down. What do you guys say; is it worth taking down, or should I cut the guy wires and let it fall?

When it all goes to hell in a handbag -- You'll wish you had a ham and that antenna!!

Some web sites you should look at
    eHam for all the news, equipment reviews, looking up ham call signs
    QRZCQ for when you get your call sig. For $20.00 or so a year it will be your log book for your contacts
    e-QSL to send & receive your QSL cards in addition to your card QSL cards you may want to send out.

If you have lots of money you can get an FTDX-3000 Yasau radio, I think most on line retailers have it for $1600.00. My next rig too. Should last you about 10 years.

Anything else, just ask.

Maxwell

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    General here. I studied the tests until I knew the correct answers.
    Definitely a geeky hobby but there may be a time when it's needed.

Yeah... precisely why I bought it. I'm thinking Jan 6th .. or Jan 21st might/could get a little dicey. haa...Esp if one listens to monkeywerx on YouTude... all the sudden trips to gitmo and mass troop, equipment and supply movement + the Christmas ATT bombing in Nashville --that will get you thinking.

Last edited:
    Some web sites you should look at
    eHam for all the news, equipment reviews, looking up ham call signs
    QRZCQ for when you get your call sig. For $20.00 or so a year it will be your log book for your contacts
    e-QSL to send & receive your QSL cards in addition to your card QSL cards you may want to send out.

If you have lots of money you can get an FTDX-3000 Yasau radio, I think most on line retailers have it for $1600.00. My next rig too. Should last you about 10 years.

Anything else, just ask.

Maxwell

Appreciate that. If I get stuck --I will ask. I just found out what a QSL is by googling the term --thank you.

The TDX-3000 Yasau looks great. I'm the 'buy once cry once' type.. so if I can afford it when it comes time I'll get it.

Thanks for all the help and the links guys... As always Snipers Hide is the best place for... well.... everything! haha

Hamstudy.org is a great site to study on. It keeps track of everything for you and the ones you get wrong it keeps re-asking you. Study for your Technician license first, pass that and then study for general. I made that mistake already, trying to go straight for my general.

View attachment 7511925

View attachment 7511926
    Generally, these are given away to the guy who has the means/knowledge to safely remove it (after signing a waiver of liability). However, you might sell it to someone who wants it badly. Some brands carry a premium.

Depending on your property, you should be able to get away with it.
    If it's a house with a yard, you can stick an antenna in the back yard.
    You can also run antenna wires along the sides or eaves of the house or up trees or along fences
    You can have your antenna built into your lawn umbrella
    If you have an attic you can put a big antenna array in there
    Also you can have some pretty decent HF mobile antennas on a vehicle
    lots of options.

"Antenna" -- I wish.... Until I can get out of this cess pool of a city... I live in a 10 unit apt building a block from Beverly Hills area. With the pinchy loser land slum lord and me being at war for 15 years... there'll be no courtesy antennas anywhere.

@79steeler thanks for the link... I will use that for sure as a supplement to the one bought at hamradioprep.com Wish I found hamstudy first.. ha First two test tho scored 90 and 100.

I am thinking an HF antenna on my Willys. But that last thing I want to do is punch holes in the roof.
    Any suggestions where to put it? Front bumper? Back bumper?

20201223_163503.jpg

View attachment 7511925

View attachment 7511926
    I don't know about your locale, but around here those things are SOUGHT AFTER! At the very least, I'd suggest contacting your local HAM radio club. I say this because there are many who would voluntarily come and properly (and nicely) remove it for you. Because even if 'they' don't want/need it, they know of others (probably many others) who do.

You could offer it for sale, or simply request "removal" and I'm betting that there'd be a line-up. Be diligent, get waivers to protect yourself and your infrastructure. The removal is actually quite easy and fast, for those who know what they're doing.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
    Thanks guys. It’s not something that’s going to happen anytime soon, if ever. I was just gettin a feel for if the antenna was worth anything. I didn’t know if it was old technology and obsolete, or still something to have.
    Thanks again.

I have my Extra ticket. Going for Extra is when the math got...interesting? The books by Gordon West are good and provide some useful tips on how to memorize and prepare for the test.

Something to think about in terms of "Shit hits the Fan" and communications: an EMP event should knock out all solid state electronic devices. Old vacuum tube technology should be relatively immune to this. (<<<so say some "experts") For this reason I have both (ok...way to many) solid state and vacuum tube gear. Having no experience in electronics, even I was able to learn to how re-build the old tube equipment and bring them back to life. Get a modern solid state to start out, but don't write off vacuum tube equipment. Hell, I have some old Swan equipment that is capable of 300-600 watts. With that power you don't need a linear amp and no modern transeiver will do that. For solid state stuff, personally I would avoid Icom and Alinco and go with Yeasu, Kenwood or Elecraft.

The antenna is the most important thing to focus on, not the radio <<<read that again! The good thing is that all it takes is copper wire to make a great antenna. There are books such as ARRL's "Small Antennas for Small Places" for folks that live in apartments or others that need to deal with HOA's. If wire cant be strung, there are other options such as using rain gutters and Magnetic loops.

If you go back and look at some of the old posts from @Gunfighter14e2 (If they are still up), there was a lot of stuff about making vehicles antennas.
    You shouldn't need to put any holes in your roof.

That being said If you do want to transmit and receive from your apartment on HF, there are still plenty of options if you wish to do so.

But if you rig up the vehicle and don't mind driving a bit, you can do all you need. Especially if you can park near some trees.

At St. Hulka.

Don't climb the tower unless you are experienced and know what to look for. The tower may not show signs of rust on the outside but may be rusting from the inside out. You could get 75 feet in the air and the thing could collapse. Use a boom truck or high man lift for inspection.
    What is that tower...150-200 ft? Dang, that's nice. It looks like a Rohn 25G, great towers. The antenna on top is some type of vertical. Kinda of a waste of tower IMO. Are your sure that is not a CB radio antenna on top?

Even if the tower cant support a beam antenna it could still be utilized to support a long wire antenna, a G5RV or even the tower itself could be used as a a radiator (antenna). I have a tower with a multi band beam but to be honest, my go-to antennas are still the ones I made myself, and are made up of 14 gauge wire.

• Love
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    If you go back and look at some of the old posts from @Gunfighter14e2 (If they are still up), there was a lot of stuff about making vehicles antennas.
    You shouldn't need to put any holes in your roof.

That being said If you do want to transmit and receive from your apartment on HF, there are still plenty of options if you wish to do so.

But if you rig up the vehicle and don't mind driving a bit, you can do all you need. Especially if you can park near some trees.

Good point on the mobile. For mobile use I would suggest this web. http://www.k0bg.com/ My mobile communications was mediocre at best till I followed the things I learned there.

Trees :)
    20 meter Moxon vertical. Steered from a ground rope :)
    Worked Europe, Russia, Australia with 100 watt 530.
    Tri band wire work east west (at the same time).

@gayguns : remember the math on the test does not require a calculator.
    Know your meters to Mhz.
    Mark and study the freq chart with all questions that ask about General frequencies.
    and for you guys that think ham will be the cats meow when SHTF check out SDR and Rabbit Hunts.

For anyone going for the General, study just a little for the Extra, and take the remaining elements for free.

Attachments

• 20meterMoxon.jpg
      20meterMoxon.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 41
    • P1210236.jpg
      P1210236.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 45
    • 2meterSDRTest.jpg
      2meterSDRTest.jpg
      116.2 KB · Views: 51
    Last edited:
    • Love
    Some things I have that do not suck. They work.

A Yaesu ftm-300dr (got to love digital)

Ed fong antena from California
    A strong magnetic base and diamond 40 inch mobile antena.

I can get to world wide on wires-x
    Or an analog node (link).

That ed fong and running 50 watts only 12 foot up to the base of the antena I have hit repeaters 40 miles away (the tall ones). Shorter private repeaters 20 miles easy and other repeaters closer on 5 watts. 35$ antenna that you can set out on a balcony and disguise.

Digital is like same room, better sound than a cellphone (bigger speaker)

When you can get on America link pm me and we can set a time for a meet. Also have Texas nexus and one link to a non publised room (non promoted).

Old retired guy. Got my tech and general licenses this fall. Work to get a good understanding of the concepts for the tech license. If you do that, the general is really not that much harder. More math and electronics but not bad. This from someone who lacks the math gene. The application stuff makes more sense to me. I'm studying for the Extra now--I'm totally lost... Still going to give it a try though.

I'm starting to look at HF equipment. I think the Icom 7300 is the way I'm going to go myself. Like most hobbies, you can spend some serious money without trying hard. With regard to antennas on rental property, take a look at wire antenna like a dipole.

Try and focus on getting you license first. You can't do anything without that. If I can get a license I'm betting you can also. I'm afraid there is going to come a time when you will be glad you have it.

You have received recommendations for good resources. There are excellent resources on line also. There is a group out of South Caroline and Dave Castler out of Colorado that are excellent. Do a search for Ham classes. They make the difficult understandable.

73!

Last edited:
    Start with a goal. With whom are you trying to communicate, where are they at, where are you at, what information are you trying to transmit and receive? Mission dictates gear.

For "local" comms, you're looking at VHF/UHF. That's line-of-sight, although keep in mind that use of elevation and proper antennas can make line-of-sight pretty damn far. Since the wavelength is short, so are the antennas, so you can easily clamp something to a patio railing or hang it out a window. For portable use, get 1 or 2 good handhelds for yourself and a partner, and then a fistful of something cheap (like the Baofeng UV-5R) to hand out to allies (like maybe some people throughout your apartment building, or around the block). For mobile use, there are plenty of good 12VDC units, and you can use a simple magnetic-mount antenna that is only ~18" long - not large enough to attract attention, and no need to punch any holes in nice cars.

For distance, you're looking at HF bands, and those are where antennas typically get to be some combination of large and/or complex. Proper operation is also typically trickier than just dialing a particular frequency and hitting a button.

If you want to get up and running quickly, go for your Technician ticket (I found a local group that did a day-long study/test session with no prior study required) so you're legal. A Tech ticket in hand beats a plan to get your General or Extra. Find a decent handheld and a portable/mobile; the latter becomes a workable base station with the addition of a 12V power supply. Buy a mag-mount or bumper-clamp antenna for your Willys, and run 12V into the cab if you don't already have a good source of power. Get cheap handhelds into the hands of friends and allies. Figure out how much antenna you can install in your apartment, and keep in mind that receiving on HF bands is easier than transmitting (read: smaller antennas) if you're simply looking at ways to pick up shortwave broadcasts. If you can get to a piece of ground in an elevated position, portable antennas such as those from Super Antenna can get you frequencies down to the 80m band with less than 10lbs of gear in a backpack.

Unless you've got a secure location in which to hole up for the long haul, be careful about how you allocate your gear. An expensive base station, tower, and antennas don't do you any good if you need to hit the road. Stuff that runs off 12V will be most valuable in most SHTF situations. Don't start worrying about low-likelihood/high-severity events like EMPs until you've got the most probable events covered (severe weather with a lengthy power outtage, urban riots, need to evac due to fire or NBC event, etc.). Think about flexibility; a good handheld that can run off multiple sources of DC power and a handful of RF connector adapters goes quite a ways towards communicating in a variety of situations.

Sweat the details. Stuff like feedline matters, quality of connections matter, lightning suppression matters. A fancy rig with improper connections isn't a good use of limited funds. Get used to spending $100 on a set of tools so you can strip wire that is $1/ft and then crimping on SO-239 connectors that are $7/each.

Go poke around the Fieldcraft section here. There has been a ton of solid information shared in the past; some of it was a bit tough to extract and that unfortunately degrades its value somewhat. Get the basic ARRL books. Get some basic gear, play around with it, figure out what you don't know. It's really easy to feel foolish after dropping a couple grand on a base station that doesn't fit your needs, but a quality dual- or tri-band handheld probably won't ever feel like a waste of money.

I'm currently studying for my Technician license too. Test is next month with my local club.

I bought some Boafengs last year before I understood what they were. Been watching YouTube videos, loaded all local stations and repeaters near me with CHIRP and just listen....for now. It's cool stuff. Looking forward to talking!

Start with a goal. With whom are you trying to communicate, where are they at, where are you at, what information are you trying to transmit and receive? Mission dictates gear.

For "local" comms, you're looking at VHF/UHF. That's line-of-sight, although keep in mind that use of elevation and proper antennas can make line-of-sight pretty damn far. Since the wavelength is short, so are the antennas, so you can easily clamp something to a patio railing or hang it out a window. For portable use, get 1 or 2 good handhelds for yourself and a partner, and then a fistful of something cheap (like the Baofeng UV-5R) to hand out to allies (like maybe some people throughout your apartment building, or around the block). For mobile use, there are plenty of good 12VDC units, and you can use a simple magnetic-mount antenna that is only ~18" long - not large enough to attract attention, and no need to punch any holes in nice cars.

For distance, you're looking at HF bands, and those are where antennas typically get to be some combination of large and/or complex. Proper operation is also typically trickier than just dialing a particular frequency and hitting a button.

If you want to get up and running quickly, go for your Technician ticket (I found a local group that did a day-long study/test session with no prior study required) so you're legal. A Tech ticket in hand beats a plan to get your General or Extra. Find a decent handheld and a portable/mobile; the latter becomes a workable base station with the addition of a 12V power supply. Buy a mag-mount or bumper-clamp antenna for your Willys, and run 12V into the cab if you don't already have a good source of power. Get cheap handhelds into the hands of friends and allies. Figure out how much antenna you can install in your apartment, and keep in mind that receiving on HF bands is easier than transmitting (read: smaller antennas) if you're simply looking at ways to pick up shortwave broadcasts. If you can get to a piece of ground in an elevated position, portable antennas such as those from Super Antenna can get you frequencies down to the 80m band with less than 10lbs of gear in a backpack.

Unless you've got a secure location in which to hole up for the long haul, be careful about how you allocate your gear. An expensive base station, tower, and antennas don't do you any good if you need to hit the road. Stuff that runs off 12V will be most valuable in most SHTF situations. Don't start worrying about low-likelihood/high-severity events like EMPs until you've got the most probable events covered (severe weather with a lengthy power outtage, urban riots, need to evac due to fire or NBC event, etc.). Think about flexibility; a good handheld that can run off multiple sources of DC power and a handful of RF connector adapters goes quite a ways towards communicating in a variety of situations.

Sweat the details. Stuff like feedline matters, quality of connections matter, lightning suppression matters. A fancy rig with improper connections isn't a good use of limited funds. Get used to spending $100 on a set of tools so you can strip wire that is $1/ft and then crimping on SO-239 connectors that are $7/each.

Go poke around the Fieldcraft section here. There has been a ton of solid information shared in the past; some of it was a bit tough to extract and that unfortunately degrades its value somewhat. Get the basic ARRL books. Get some basic gear, play around with it, figure out what you don't know. It's really easy to feel foolish after dropping a couple grand on a base station that doesn't fit your needs, but a quality dual- or tri-band handheld probably won't ever feel like a waste of money.

That was incredbily helpful.

I’ll second www.hamstudy.org & pay the few bucks for their app.
    Once you’re confident sign up for an online test done via zoom and within days of passing you’ll have your call sign & then can hit the airwaves.

Everyone needs a baofeng & then a solid choice, if only for a backup, is a Yaesu FT-60.

@gayguns sint know whether this will be compatible with your radio, but at least gives an idea of what can be had for small spaces. Think others have already said it, but if not, you can get a magnetic antenna mount for your awesome looking Willy’s.

Aw cool! Looks like the https://www.wolfrivercoils.com I was going to get the silver bullet but the guy said it wouldn't work with my handheld.

They state: The D74 offers D-STAR and FM trans-mission on all three bands, and it can receive AM, LSB, USB, and CW coverage reception from 100 kHz to 76 MHz, 76 to 108 MHz (WFM), and 108 to 524 MHz.

This Apartment Antenna lets you operate 40 through 10 Meters on HF and 6 and 2 Meters on VHF

I don't get if that antenna can work --The D74 states: kKZ to MHz's and antenna states Meters.
    This is still all greek to me --I'm trying to sort it out.

IF
    Antenna: 40 - 10 meters (which translates to: 7MHz to 28MHz)

AND
    D74: 100 kHz to 76 MHz, 76 to 108 MHz (WFM), and 108 to 524 MHz.

THEN
    Not a match right?

1609030214281.png

Last edited:
    Got my General a few years ago just a few weeks after my tech. I was on a roll studying so just kept going. Just used an app on my iPhone to study.
    I have a Yeasu ft-60 and play around on a couple local repeaters. Lot of good stuff above and several threads over in the fieldcraft forum. There’s a Ham Radio Outlet down in OC - they have a lot of radios in stock and are usually pretty helpful. I’m looking for a HF base unit soon.

The D74(A) is a "TRI BAND" Transceiver.
    Kenwood TH-D74A 144/220/430MHz Tribander Digital Handheld
    The frequencies you listed are it's receive capabilities.
    MASTER the Meter to Megahertz first.
    The BANDS are in meters, the Mhz is approximate.
    For example, the 20 meter band isn't 15Mhz (300 divided by 20) but close @ 14Mhz.
    Go through the question pool for the General and mark the location of every test question on that chart.
    Typically where G differs from E, or power restrictions, or data rates.
    Schematics are given. Ohms law in it's various forms is needed by the math is simple.
    Learn what happens when C goes up in series. THAT'S ALL. C in parallel does the opposite. L is opposite to C.
    Learn the NAME of the tuned circuits.
    Being OLD, I haven't gotten into the digital methods which can greatly improve comms.
    Go to a club testing session, or online now I guess and TAKE ALL THE ELEMENTS.
    Pass Tech, you got Tech, Pass General, you got Gereral, Fail Extra, you now know what to expect.
    Sort of like "is this gonna hurt?"

Doing civilian :) to Extra in one sitting is a LONG TEST.
    I had to take the code element when I did mine.
    Test QSO had the guy using a Seathkit radio :)
    Reviewing my copy I almost missed that one.

Last edited:
    Can Ham Radio be shut down or be jammed ?
    ham transmits a basic radio signal and can be jammed like any other radio signals......but its not like the govt can just "flip a switch" and turn them off.

a really easy way to jam a radio band is to just buy a bunch of cheap radio....set them all to frequencies you want to jam, and leave them on constant transmit.

of course the downside is it makes you really easy to find when you are putting out a continuous high power beacon

Kid's regen walkie talkie on a guys roof :)

Learn what the disclaimer on the back of your clock radio really means.

You will also be on a new list with your 'Ticket' complete with a Google GPS image of your antenna farm :)

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Aw cool! Looks like the https://www.wolfrivercoils.com I was going to get the silver bullet but the guy said it wouldn't work with my handheld.

They state: The D74 offers D-STAR and FM trans-mission on all three bands, and it can receive AM, LSB, USB, and CW coverage reception from 100 kHz to 76 MHz, 76 to 108 MHz (WFM), and 108 to 524 MHz.

This Apartment Antenna lets you operate 40 through 10 Meters on HF and 6 and 2 Meters on VHF

I don't get if that antenna can work --The D74 states: kKZ to MHz's and antenna states Meters.
    This is still all greek to me --I'm trying to sort it out.

IF
    Antenna: 40 - 10 meters (which translates to: 7MHz to 28MHz)

AND
    D74: 100 kHz to 76 MHz, 76 to 108 MHz (WFM), and 108 to 524 MHz.

THEN
    Not a match right?

View attachment 7512325
    You could operate on 2m but not 70cm. I was just putting it out there to show that there’s hope and give you a direction of something to build on when searching.