• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any helpful advice for first custom build?

Emryse

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Hey all, finally spending some serious money for my first custom setup. Would appreciate any recommendations, clarifications, or criticisms that would constructively make my build better. Thanks in advance.

- Right-handed shooter
- Surgeon 591 Rem700 short action chambered in .308 with 20MOA base
- oversized tactical knob
- Match grade, cut rifled barrel blank; 26” length
- Barrel prepared for brake / suppressor setup with appropriate threading, etc. (I am looking at the TBAC 30BA)
- AICS AX folding chassis
- Single-stage trigger set at 2.5#

Any further recommendations on guidance or specific requirements to ensure happen in the build process would be appreciated as well.

Re: Any helpful advice for first custom build?

What is the purpose of the build? F Class, benchrest, etc? That will have a major impact on components. If you just want a nice rifle to get into long range shooting, thats fine too. Id strongly suggest a BAT action. Ive handled the Surgeons, Templars, Lawtons, Kelblys, BATs, etc...and by far the nicest machining is coming out of Rathdrum Idaho. Every BAT I have handled has been silky smooth and beautiful. All 4 of my custom guns are built on them. I found the Surgeon to be extremely gritty and rough. I wasnt impressed at all. You will hear a bunch of bullshit about tight tolerances and binding with the BATs here on the hide, but I have never once had that problem.

I like your barrel length. Pick your pill and match the twist rate.

A brake isnt really necessary on a 308, but it will reduce recoil. Look at VIAS.

Trigger weight is a personal preference. I like 2lbs.

Handle as many stocks as you can to pick one that is most comfortable.

Consider the weight of the stick. My first gun, a 300winmag, weighs well over 17lbs. its a bitch to hunt with.

I personally would check out a Bighorn action. One of the best kept secrets out there. IMHO.
grin.gif

Regards,
Paul

That bighorn action looks interesting with the floating bolt head. I have a stiller and for the money I really like it. I have used a surgeon too and gotta give them high marks as well.

As mentioned earlier you should consider weight with that AICS it could be close to a 20 pounder.

You can't sell here without paying to be a vendor.

Karmic discharge in 3... 2... 1...