• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Henry aficionados out there?

Ratbert

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
Concord, NC
h001l_levercarbine_lg.jpg

I'd like to get a little 22LR Lever action carbine since at this point my 22's are all kind of big and heavy for target shooting or centerfire training of some sort. I'm looking at the Henry large-loop carbine and I think that's right along what I want, but I had a couple of questions for anyone who's dealt with them before:

1) How's the cheek weld when using iron sites on these? It looks a touch low, I kind of like the look of their 17HMR stock with the higher cheek. Are they the sort of company where I could call them up and order a 17HMR stock to install on my carbine?
h001v_varmint_lg.jpg

2) Is there any reason Williams peep sights (http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/wgrs.htm) specifically the WGRS-54 wouldn't fit on a Henry?

3) Does the Henry come with any provision for attaching a sling? I'd like to hook a TIS slip cuff up to it so I can shoot prone if desired. Or does a sling just put too much tension on the barrel to be used effectively with a lever gun?

4) Never used a large-loop style before, is it uncomfortable/ungainly/annoying such that it's only worth the trouble if you shoot in the cold alot, or would I defintely prefer it over the standard loop for just general purpose plinking?

Re: Any Henry aficionados out there?

Get the H001T with the 20" octagonal barrel, that is the best one they make without going to the even lower drop design in the golden boy. You can always install the large loop on the H001T if you like the look of that. I shot the hell out of my henry with just irons on the rifle and it was near perfect for me. The carbine is nice it just doesn't have the marbles sights on it and isn't quite as accurate as the 20" H001T model. You can get slip-on leather comb-risers as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=1&Ntt=comb+raiser&noImage=0&_requestid=52423

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_products.htm

I believe that Williams Gun Sights has sling swivels that will attach to the magazine tube instead of the barrel.

they also have a NRA instructor discount program which will get the cost down agood bit(i think like 40%)

I have dealt with the golden boy and the youth model but never owned one myself. I never noticed a problem with the cheek weld so I think you will be fine. The large loop is completely impractical and I think that if you just get one in your hands and work it a couple times you will not like the feel of it. Just one man's opinion.

These are really fun little rifles! Nothing like 16 rounds to play with, and accuracy will surprise you. Nice groups with almost any ammo you feed one. Never any drama loading/ejecting. This is the H001, it is a base model,inexpensive and very light. Get one, you will be pleased.An AMERICAN MADE value for certain. All who shoot it want one.
CIMG1080.jpg

Ok, it sounds like I need to just give the standard stock and hand loop a try. Worst case, I can always throw a stock pack on it
laugh.gif

Good plan,if, you try the large loop(didn't feel good at all to me) and want to add one later they fit all of the lever HENRYs.One thing to recommend the large loop is that it has a 16.5" barrel which is the best length for 22RF. I wish that my H001 had that option as opposed to it's 18.5". Another reason to own a HENRY is that it loves any ammo. I have to feed my Annies match grade,my 10-22 subsonic which is still cheaper to shoot than centerfire, but still quite expensive at 7-10$ a box. The little HENRY shoots bulk pack without drama, and with surprising accuracy.