• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any ideas for inexpensive steel targets?

Re: Any ideas for inexpensive steel targets?

check the for sale section. Any of the 3/8" AR500 out to do the job.

Used bulldozer blades. Used,but not too thin, discs from plows. Hang it up where you can see it, I doubt at 1000 plus you'll be bothered by backsplash. JMHO

Dozer track sections, there is a range near coshocton ohio that uses them and seem to get good service out of them.

Find a big truck junk yard. Dump beds are AR plate. They will usuall cut a chunk out for ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rummage around the scrap yards, old rotors off semi's make a nice bell that sit well on wood fence posts, no to mention large plates laying around... </div></div>

I was mechanic for 9 years at a Semi truck buisiness and I never seen a semi with "rotors" they have drum brakes all the way around (NO rotors), even on the front steers. Unless your talking about some ancient stuff I have never seen before.

If they ever did have rotors, that had to be some brake shoe!

Also I dont know what your definition of a "Semi" is. My girlfriend calls dumptrucks semi-trucks so.......

+1 on earth moving equipment being made of the equivalent of armor plate. I actually made some targets out of new 3/8" sheet steel for earth movers, and they have been extremely durable.

Some fire engines have disc brakes . Disc brakes are available on trucks, but are not that common.

Still, not a very good target because the hole in the middle and they would probably break quite esay.

I just went to Pacific Steel and bought a 32"x20"x1/2" piece of steel. Cost me $58. I see that there is a PS in Rock Springs and Laramie. Any other steel provider that sells pipe/rebar or sheet steel should be able to help you out.

While you're at the scrapyard keep an eye out for pipe "blind flanges", they work really well and are usually plenty thick.

A 10" blind flange is about 1.25" thick and lasts for a long time even though it's mild steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While you're at the scrapyard keep an eye out for pipe "blind flanges", they work really well and are usually plenty thick.

A 10" blind flange is about 1.25" thick and lasts for a long time even though it's mild steel. </div></div>

+1 for the blind flanges. a 300PSI is about 1 1/2" thick.
Another tough piece of steel to shoot at are railroad tie plates. They hold up really good.