• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing any info on W Tarter?

kyyotestalker

Lapua Freak
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Moreland, Kentucky
went to my local fun shop and on the back wall i spot a customized center grip xp100 priced at 1400. after looking it over it has a benchrest stock, straight Heavy non tapered barrel 15.25" in .264ND 6ppc, everything has been worked over including a fancy extractor and trigger.

On the barrel above the caliber is engraved W Tarter - Hart, im assuming its a hart barrel but cannot find anyting on W Tarter? The pistol is prestine and looks unfired, is 1400 a resonable price?

If this is the wrong place to ask mods please move.

Re: any info on W Tarter?

Contact topstrap here on the hide. Based on his posts he is the resident long range pistol expert.

Hi, resident expert??? Really doubt that, I just like to see how far and how accurate we can get the things to shoot but do appreciate wishful thinking
smile.gif

Not familiar with that name unless it was the original owner. Did find that caliber listed on this site. The last comment in this thread has the caliber listed on a couple rifles that were built.

http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-51606.html

Fancy extractor I'm guessing might be a Mauser type, It was probably an original 221 Fireball and most builders put those extractors in them. One of my first Silhouette XP100 guns from SSK had that modification done.

Probably be an excellent shooter and more than likely set up for 100 or 200 yard BR type of shooting. I don't think there was ever a class set up for BR pistols unless a group got together on their own and allowed these to compete.

If it's just the gun I think that is a bit steep since you don't know the condition of the barrel. Easy enough to have it rechambered to something else with the same size bolt face. If you were wanting to get into this LR type of shooting personally I'd recommend a Savage Striker, easy to change to any caliber (even small and large boltface) with a few simple tools. You can find them in the $450.00 to $550.00 range ready to go.

I'm sure the original builder had that much or more in having it put together but unless there are matches you can shoot it in it's pretty limited in it's use. If you could get a picture to post it might help. You might ask the same question over on Benchrest Central http://benchrest.com/forum.php to see if anyone has any info on this gun or who might of owned it. Most specialty type guns like this are remembered especially when built for a type of shooting that normally don't see something that isn't the norm.

Good luck, let us know if you get it and if you find out any more information about it. Here is another site that has a lot of Specialty Pistol shooters on it and they might even recognize the gun or builder. http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Topstrap

Is it possibly an action that one of the Hart gunsmiths barreled?

The late, great Waldo Tarter was a Pulaski County / Somerset, KY country gunsmith that was always way ahead of his time. The W. Tarter signature was obviously his name; he always put the barrel manufacturer's name on the barrel, along with the caliber and neck diameter. I have seven Tarter guns- each shoots way better than I can. He did tight neck guns to BR standards before anyone here in Kentucky knew what that meant. Waldo trued actions long before most anyone around here knew what that meant or why it was needed. He made his own dies and seaters, similar to what Sam Wilson was doing on the west coast ( Wilson BR dies ) along the same time frame.

If you don't want that gun, PM me - I'd love to have another.

Thanks for the info sgtsmmiii. I was hoping it was a local gunsmith. the work don to this thing is better than any i have seen from ANY local smith.

This settles it im putin the down payment on it tomorrow!

You are a wise man
grin.gif
. I sincerely believe you'll be pleased with the purchase. Good luck.

A little further info ( not that it's gospel ), but all of the guns that I have ( and some friends guns' ) from Waldo have been small caliber. He probably did some bigger game guns, but the small bore, high accuracy calibers seemed to be his forte and predominate the region. I wonder how many more are stuck back in someone's safe or closet around Pulaski County or down US 127.