• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Interest in Steyr SSG 69 Aluminum Trig. Guard

ogonzalez13

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Laredo, Texas
How many of you would be interested in a Aluminum replacement trigger guard that uses the factory mags for the Steyr SSG 69, PMI, PMII, etc.. model of rifles?

If it was built would you buy it?

Seriously I need a strong number.

Thanks.

Re: Any Interest in Steyr SSG 69 Aluminum Trig. Guard

I'll take one.

The SSG bottom metal can also be used an all Steyr L huntingrifles. The market is much larger than SSG.rifles only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take one.

The SSG bottom metal can also be used an all Steyr L huntingrifles. The market is much larger than SSG.rifles only.</div></div>

Very good to know. Ill continue to look into this project.

you can make yourself a fortune if you can make aluminum bottom metal that will work feeding AI/Alpha for the SSG's. But then again, that has already been promised by somebody (styria?) and not delivered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can make yourself a fortune if you can make aluminum bottom metal that will work feeding AI/Alpha for the SSG's. But then again, that has already been promised by somebody (styria?) and not delivered.</div></div>

I know that this would probably be a better option for most people but Iam trying to keep cost down a little and think using the original mags will work ok as well. If more people are interested in a system that uses AI Mags than I will look into that a little more as a option.

What do you guys think?

If AI mags are to be used I think you have to expand and relocate the magport in the receiver. I don't think this is a good idea on the SSG. The SSG Target with it's beefier receiver will not have problems with this. Steyr did it themselves on the UIT-rifle.

Old Tikka M55 mags might be a solution. These mags are singlestack and designed to be off center(to the left just like SSG) in the Tikka action. Tikka has recently resumed production of these mags due to popular demand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If AI mags are to be used I think you have to expand and relocate the magport in the receiver. I don't think this is a good idea on the SSG. The SSG Target with it's beefier receiver will not have problems with this. Steyr did it themselves on the UIT-rifle.

Old Tikka M55 mags might be a solution. These mags are singlestack and designed to be off center(to the left just like SSG) in the Tikka action. Tikka has recently resumed production of these mags due to popular demand. </div></div>

Thank you for your input. All the information I can gather to make this project work best is greatly appreciated. I want to put out the best product possible that will appeal to most people. I am trying very hard on getting this project off the ground and have already started to invest into it. Lets see where it will go. Again any input you hide members have please speak up.

Thanks.

The rotary magazine is brilliant but prone to failure as it is also plastic of course. This is likely the number 2 weakness of the rifle behind the bottom plastic. A pair of metal pillars would be a nice thing to include with this new product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gabbott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rotary magazine is brilliant but prone to failure as it is also plastic of course. This is likely the number 2 weakness of the rifle behind the bottom plastic. A pair of metal pillars would be a nice thing to include with this new product.</div></div>

The magazine being a weak point is also why I was looking into an AICS mag option. No reason to fix one problem and not address the other. Is there something special about this action and or stock that any good gunsmith would not be able to inlett and install pillars?

Thanks.

Nothing unusual. This is a perfect application for pillars especially now that the plastic stock would be between the metal action and the new metal trigger guard.

Like I told you in the other thread, I would be interested in a high quality replacement aluminum trigger guard/mag well for the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifles but only if it uses FACTORY MAGAZINES - in my case, 5 round magazines.

After much deliberation with myself, I have come to the conclusion that I do not like any protrusion under my SSG, including genuine Steyr 10 round plastic magazines which undeniably look cool but are not very practical - and they also suffer from the same flimsiness as the 5 round magazines but the latter are for the most part well hidden in the rifle.

I am also assuming that such a trigger guard/mag well could be exported from the U.S. to Canada (no importation restrictions on this side of the border).

As part of my research I have also looked into export laws and there should be no issues to Canada, Australia and many of the European Countries. I really hope I can get this project done and get it released to hide members first. I think by being able to use the factory mags this product will serve a greater number of people at a lower cost to me and the end user.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carcajou</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I told you in the other thread, I would be interested in a high quality replacement aluminum trigger guard/mag well for the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifles but only if it uses FACTORY MAGAZINES - in my case, 5 round magazines.

After much deliberation with myself, I have come to the conclusion that I do not like any protrusion under my SSG, including genuine Steyr 10 round plastic magazines which undeniably look cool but are not very practical - and they also suffer from the same flimsiness as the 5 round magazines but the latter are for the most part well hidden in the rifle.

I am also assuming that such a trigger guard/mag well could be exported from the U.S. to Canada (no importation restrictions on this side of the border).</div></div>

Make it happen. Try some samples and take lots of pics for us. The SSG 69 has a lot of rifles out there looking for this solution. You must use AI mags. Show us what you have and lets get the ball rolling. All you need is one proto type that works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPERS4DUMMIES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">standing by...I'll take 1</div></div>

As soon as I have any updates I will let you know.

any update on this? I'm interested in at least one.

Still being worked on. Once I know, you will know. Thanks for the interest.

Damn, I wish I still had my SSG now.

put me in the line
take 2

Thanks

I'll take one as well. I would prefer a trigger guard which would allow the use of the current SSG mags. 2 of my 3 10-round mags are recent purchases, and I would hate to see my $450 wasted....

I know 3 people in the UK who would go for the AI mag system. My 5 rd mag has just broken...its a shame that a good rifle is let down by a crapy plastic mag!

Depending on the price, we at McMillans will be interested in one or two dozen of them for re-sale with our stocks.

I just joined the forum to get in on this! I want one bad!!! Please give us an update.

I joined to get onto this too. Update please!!

Guys. Thanks for all the interest. I am still working on this project. The machinist that is helping me out has taken it on as a side job. He needs to keep his regular customers happy as that is his true source of income. I know it has been slow coming but it is in the works.

Thanks for the update there. I was considering getting my gunsmith to make one but I will try to sit tight and be patient (along with the other 100 people here
smile.gif
)

I notice the guy from Mcmillans saying they are interested in having a mag to go with their stocks, well having bought one of their stocks for my gun its made such a differance,both to constant accuracy and reliability.I,ve just broke another mag but thats my fault in that i let oil and foam get on it by leaving it in the gun.Sorry to hear Emouse has had problems with styria arms,as it seemed it was the final problem of a fine gun sorted? cheers 12 bore

Put me down for 1 as well

pm when they are ready. thanks

Any news on the Alluminum Trigger Guard/ Mag well for the SSG-69?

Just a bump to keep this alive!

Still here - and still very much interested.

As much as I love the Steyr SSG P69 rifle system, I think this is nothing but a pipe dream that isn't going to go anywhere. I wish that this would be executed well and brought to market, but I believe it is highly doubtful that it ever will. My recommendation is that you find another exceptionally well thoughtout system, like the SAKO TRG or Accuracy International, and make the best of it.

Perhaps CDI or Dixon could take on this project if theres enough interest.

Hi guys,

I e mailed Styria Arms 10 days ago. I was told trigger guard and floor plate would be announced this past week. Nothing yet.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As much as I love the Steyr SSG P69 rifle system, I think this is nothing but a pipe dream that isn't going to go anywhere. I wish that this would be executed well and brought to market, but I believe it is highly doubtful that it ever will. My recommendation is that you find another exceptionally well thoughtout system, like the SAKO TRG or Accuracy International, and make the best of it. </div></div>

Well, ranger1183, maybe you are right and nothing will come out of it but up until now, ogonzalez13 has not yet announced that he was giving up the game.

If, in the end, the whole undertaking collapses, I will fall back on my emergency Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 spare trigger guard/mag wells - and I will get some more.

I swapped out my SSG-69 into a McMillan stock and love it. I have been patiently waiting on the alleged Styria replacement for a few years now. I would be interested in either product, but especially one that uses different magazines than the factory SSG mags. I had a factory SSG magazine literally fall apart in my hands when I picked it up from the gun safe. That is why I have a large number of the factory mags in stock.

I am interested. What do you think the price range would be?

I have talked with ogonzalez13 about this. He is trying to get new bottom metal made to use factory magazines.

I am trying to get ones made to use with AICS magazines.

FYI: I called him to make sure i wasn't stepping on his toes with my project.

I do not think he has given up on this project yet but it has been a long time since i talked to him.

I haven't given up on my project yet, but haven't heard from my vendor in a long time. I guess it is about time to call him. I have been working with this vendor since last october to get this project rolling.

I tried this many years ago with another vendor but it was cost prohibitive to do it then.

I've been trying to get this going for several years & will probably still try even if my vendor doesn't come through.

My current vendor would like an estimate of how many people would be interested in an AICS type replacement. I looked at the old posts to get an estimate.

Wish me luck!