• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any issues?

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
I have decided to go ahead and purchase a origin action (223 rem) with a proof heavy Palma 1:7 SS, 22” tube. I’ll be dropping the barreled action into a krg bravo/X-ray and plan to use mdt aics mags for 223.

Before I pull the trigger on this, does anyone see any glaring issues or stupid mistakes as far as parts/mag compatibility?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your intended use.

The heavy Palma is a bit of a truck axel but might be fine from a bench.

You are losing a bit of velocity over a 26-inch barrel, but are gaining overall handiness.

I don't see a 22-inch heavy Palma barrel being in any kind of a sweet spot.

Go lighter for a handier rifle.

Go longer be shooting from a bench.

Good luck

Not quite sure I'd go 1:7, maybe 1:7.5. .223 just doesn't excel at those really long bullets while keeping velocity up (that's what a Valkyrie is for).

I also agree that may be a bit of overkill on that heavy of a contour for a .223.

The KRG Bravo is a light chassis, and will be front heavy with a 22" heavy Palma contour barrel.

Not that big of a deal, but if you do want to balance it out, you may need to add a weighted steel LOP spacer or two to the rear. KRG does make these.

I think people overthink twist and 223 is the worst about it. My 7 twist white oak loves 55s

Would you recommend a cf proof prefit at 24/26” instead?

Primarily a bench gun, I do not compete. Would like to shoot factory 223 match ammo and occasionally varmint hunt with it.

I’m finding that barrels are very hard to find in the flavor I want .

If availability is the concern, maybe try Shilen? I've got a ratchet groove 7.5 tw 26" in 223 that continues to impress. 10/10 on a 4" plate @ 560 prone on all but the gustiest days. 5 inside a dime @ 200 off the bench also typical. Heavy contour though - 1" at the muzzle.

I've got a heavy Lilja in 24".
I have yet to see any benefit other than it's a heavy bitch (14 lbs).
If I was to do it again I would definitely go lighter on the contour and probably an accelerator from 1:9-1:7 twist.
Some call it "Gain Twist".
Make sure you can chamber the heavies like 90 grain Bergers....they really help at distance.

Would you recommend a cf proof prefit at 24/26” instead?

Primarily a bench gun, I do not compete. Would like to shoot factory 223 match ammo and occasionally varmint hunt with it.

I’m finding that barrels are very hard to find in the flavor I want .

I would look at bugholes and see if anything they have in stock suits you. They are my preferred vendor for barrels, and generally have a good selection in stock. Altus is another good one to check out, though I find they have less inventory than bugholes.

I have looked everywhere. Can’t find a 24” medium profile 1:8 twist 223 prefit for an origin anywhere.

I will say Anthony at Crown Ridge is worth a look. last one was under $450/ delivered
Have 3 2 remage and a tikka all shoot really well.
I purchased a heavy Palma remage from Northland SS Match Chamber 223 and even in a McMillan A5 it was a bitch to handle. I had my local gun smith turn it down to M24 contour and cut it to 22 inches. Still heavy in the McMillan but useable
H

I have looked everywhere. Can’t find a 24” medium profile 1:8 twist 223 prefit for an origin anywhere.
did you contact Anthony at Crown Ridge Barrel works. Is standard is MTU, but he carries a few profiles, and he can shoulder it for an origin, option on his site. I run an origin and tl3 and he shoulders all mine.

Just get the heavier contour if you can find it in the twist and length you want. Mine is a 27” Proof Comp Contour on a TL3 and it’s a joy to shoot. You are not carrying up mountains so the weight will just help deaden recoil even more for the light caliber already.

Reactions: Baron23
The only thing I can find in stock is
-proof 1:7 twist SS MED PALMA blank.
-proof 1:7 twist SS HEAVY PALMA blank
-proof 1:8 twist SS COMP CONTOUR blank.

Is 1:7 going to be too fast for factory match ammo and occasional varmint rounds?

Is 1:7 going to be too fast for factory match ammo and occasional varmint rounds?

You can always go 8 twist if you don’t plan to go much heavier than 75s but I would get one of the heavier contour in 7 or 8 depending on bullets used.

No, not at all. I wont buy a 223 going forward that isnt a 7 twist just because it doesnt hurt a thing with 55s I can personally attest to at a minimum and the heavier bullets are more fun anyways. Sure the 8 will be fine but so will the 7.

Reactions: Baron23
You can always go 8 twist if you don’t plan to go much heavier than 75s but I would get one of the heavier contour in 7 or 8 depending on bullets used.
You don’t think comp contour gonna be too heavy? I have no hands on experience with that profile at 24”

You don’t think comp contour gonna be too heavy? I have no hands on experience with that profile at 24”

Mine is a 27” Comp Contour and I don’t think it’s too heavy at all. Will be personal preference though. You will be carrying it to the bench and how far for varmint hunting?

call owen at front range precision and see how long his lead time is on a 223 comp contour prefit

note you can use TL3 barrels with the origin too. he has the HLR lugs

On my post above about PVA they do have .223 Wylde in stock. Some reason the drop down got messed up and is showing 6.5 chamberings.

M24 Contour Proof SS Blank here:

Still not gonna beat Owen's price though. He has (1) Proof SS 224 7T Heavy Palma Blank with Origin SA $1149. Might as well grab that and have him send it over to Garret Preece for chamber/threading.

TM6

Last edited:
I would call TS Customs, see if they have a blank they can spin up for you. They keep a lot of Benchmarks in stock.

He does amazing work, and his turn around time right now is SHORT.

No. The M24 and Heavy Palma start with the same shank diameter
As do tons of barrels and depends on the manufacturer. A proof m24 is not the same shank diameter as a proof heavy palma. 1.2 vs 1.25

, breech length

Also depends on manufacturer, and again not with a proof 2.5 vs 3
and end up with the same muzzle diameter.

At different lengths (26 vs 30)
The only difference is in the belly.
So the shank diameter, breech length, muzzle diameter at the same length, weight and taper are all different.

…..Which makes them “identical”

Last edited:
7 twist in .223 bolt gun, period. I'd contact Anthony at Crown Ridge Barrel Works, I've had 2 of his 6mm Creedmoor 7.5T MTU's and they shot as good or better than anything else out to 1250 yards and both had long lives. The Origin will accept shouldered or Savage-spec with a nut (there's no accuracy difference between the two, in fact, you can get a tighter headspace with a nut usually, and Anthony's are about the best looking barrel nuts available if one goes that route). If it's to be more of a precision bolt gun and not a hunter, go 26".

A 26" 7T MTU in .223 from him may be in my future as well...

Get a Diamond or top-shelf Bix, do not cheap out on your trigger or you will kick yourself later.

Also, after shooting with Garrett Preece, I wouldn't send him any work.

Please expand on this, spill the beans, I need to be in the know.

Not a smart ass comment, I'd like to know what inspired you to say that.
I don't wish anyone here on the forum to spend their hard earned cash, myself included, if someone is doing sub par work, or is it another reason?

Thanks for your insight.

TM6

Reactions: b6graham