• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns any ithaca37 experts? 1968 full choke police

Prknives

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
Reno,NV
hi all, I recently picked up this 37 and was trying to find some more info, based on the serial number it's a 1968, the barrel is marked full and based on research and measurements it's a factory full choke 20" barrel not a hack job. I figure it was a police or prison shotgun but there are no department marking on it. any info to help value and learn about these old scatterguns would be much appreciated.

IMG_9140.jpg
IMG_9141.jpg
IMG_9143.jpg
IMG_9144.jpg
IMG_9145.jpg

I am certainly no expert, but that won't stop me from offering my observations & comments.

First, the m37 is a classic! Well done.
Next, the plain receiver (lack of the hunting scenes on the sides) may indicate military or law enforcement/corrections origin. Plain stock (no checkering) may also support this idea. Yours also appears to be parkerized instead of blued, so that also supports the idea of mil/police/corrections. It looks great.

However, some guns were marked "DSPS" (Deer Slayer Police Special) on the barrel. These barrels are very easily interchangeable and there looks like a very slight difference in the finish between the bbl & tube/receiver so maybe it is not an OG bbl? But if it is a riot gun, considering the 20" barrel, full choke for buckshot would make sense to me.

With a rifled slug barrel using hand cast Lee 1 oz key-drive slugs, mine isn't very accurate. But using 1&1/8 oz Lyman slugs, with my slug barrel & iron sights I can easily hit the 200 yd gong (24" diameter). I reload the Lyman slugs into bulk Wally world shells and this combo really packs a wallop.

From what I have seen, the stock can be prone to crack at the receiver and since yours looks in great shape with little obvious wear on the slide parts, perhaps it hasn't been fired much? That might also suggest a prison origin. However, I would expect rack rash from years of going in & out of gun racks.

Finally, I think you will find that your new meat gun has slam-fire capability.

Nice find! Hope you got it at a nice price.

Last edited:
Does it slam fire? Fires if trigger held and slide racked.

Be very careful, lots of unintended discharge with them.

Does it slam fire? Fires if trigger held and slide racked.

Be very careful, lots of unintended discharge with them.
Agreed slam fire is fun when you know it is there but you should do a function test and confirm if yours can slam fire.

Christmas of '77, my brothers and I all got new 37's. Dad liked them so much he bought himself a used one. His was made in '70 and has a 20"
20220615_180331.jpg
20220615_180340.jpg
20220615_180233.jpg
slug barrel. By the dime test, his is more open than full choke. Deerslayer is stamped on that barrel and it has rifle sights. His also has a smooth stock. He later picked up a 28" modified barrel (there aren't many of those).

By the lack of scratches on your magazine, I'd say yours hasn't been shot much. It's a good looking piece.

Be careful buying barrels. Mine and my dad's aren't interchangeable. The new ones won't fit any of the old guns.

The barrel should be numbered to the gun and as Posted the were not interchangeable.
M37's for other than Police/Military issue were roll marked with a waterfowl scene.

M37’s carry easy for their weight, I always liked how they balanced.