• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Jeep Wrangler owners here?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
A couple of friends drive them and love them... I had a CJ in high school and miss the fun little convertible runabout. My last 'Jeep" was my Land Rover defender 90 which I loved! I miss the soft-top and the runabout feel of a Jeep.

Plus I am thinking about retiring the 3500 to towing, plowing and long-distance hauling. It's at 90K, perfect condition. I'd like to keep it another 10 years at least. To replace it for much daily driving... getting a new Jeep Wrangler or JK or whatever they call them now to use as a daily-driver to keep the miles off my truck for a few years.

Looking at two door (SWB) (when I need to carry four people, the truck works fine), soft-top, 6-speed manual, AC, Sirius and Connectivity package as 'must have.' Other than that, don't need a lot of kit. I'd like the Diesel, but don't think it is worth it.... may not be available in the SWB anyway.

Who has had late model Jeeps and what do you guys think of them? Lots of web sites (click-bait idiots) whine about them. But they whine about everything that is fun. Looking for some real owner input... from actual members of the tribe. And the 'Hide! I'll probably wait until late summer/early fall anyway. Get a leftover '18 when the 2019's come out. So just fishing right now...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last Jeep I owned was a Kaiser pick up. tough as nails but not terribly reliable. Id check the Consumer Reports on reliability before I bought anything. Ive heard theyre not so great in that dept.

Reactions: deltawiskey
I looked at them a few fears back. Rated low in reliability but high in customer satisfaction. I guess people like them so much they don't care if they're not well built. I was looking at a 4 door hardtop. Soft top is a non starter for me as an everyday driver due to needing to talk on the ph for work.

First vehicle was an '85 CJ-7 that my uncle had restored with a fiberglass body and upgrades on the interior. Current ride is a '15 Rubicon Hard Rock. I test drove 4 different Rubicons, 2 and 4 door, auto and manual. I ended up ordering the 2 door Rubicon Hard Rock to get most stuff already on, which basically added leather for nothing. I did add a hard top, auto and 4.10s. The 6 speed I drove left a little to be desired, and I learned on a 4 speed manual in the CJ-7. Jeep had 45 miles on it, and I could hear like a paint can ball rolling around in 3rd and 4th gear. Going into 6th, I noticed I had to kinda slide towards reverse. 6 speed with the 4.10s would roll about 50 mph at idle. I drove 3.73 and 4.10 in the 5 speed auto. I wanted the low gears, but she revs on the interstate. MPG is always 17-18 on WV backroads or interstate. I did add a 1" spacer to the front to remove the rake after removing the backseat.

Reliability: I've had it 36 months and 44K miles. I've had a rear driver axle seal go down and replaced under warranty. I've got a slight squeak on the brake pedal on the inside. I've read it could be the booster and master cylinder. I'll let it go since I'm out of the 3 year/36K overall warranty. Biggest gripe, I've heard people joke about a new windshield every year. They aren't lying. I've got my original windshield...with 3 repaired chips, 1 crack and a new chip last week.

Overall, it is the most civilized Jeep Wrangler out there. I've had it off road a handful of times, and it is damn capable in stock form. The lockers and sway bar disconnect are nice, but rarely used for me. Looking back, I would've been happy with the Willy's with the BFG KMs, 3.73 on the auto, and limited slip diff.

Last edited:
i used to go to costa rica, dude a lot of convertable what evers there, mercedes pickups convertable, neat foreign stuff, think along those lines, youre cool, get something cool

I dont have one of the new JL jeeps. I have been looking at them and they sure are neat. I actually dont think any of the 2 doors are out in the wild yet as the JL has only been out 2-3 months now. Looks to have huge improvements and lots of creature comforts available. As to reliability of the new jeeps I cannot speak. currently has the 3.6 Penastar and 2.0 turbo. A diesel to be released next year and electric version of some sort in 2020.

We had an AMC 1970 CJ 5 then I moved on to a CJ7 1980 then went years and years without one until a year ago when I drove by a dealership with a black 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sport out front. My mistake was taking it for a test drive which ended with me purchasing it. Is it quite on the road no, will it go about anywhere yes. It has become my daily driver and enjoy it especially with the doors and top off. The power is good and it has no problem going down the road at 75mph or in low range climbing a steep rocky trail. I think people that give Jeeps a bad name expect a ride similar to a current lux vehicle with screens, leather, and quite interior... IMO you buy a Jeep to keep that wild part of you alive, and to get out of the day to day grind of your life.

As if it wasnt hard enough for me not to purchase a new jeep...... thanks a lot... I am doing all I can to keep from trading in my 10 F150 for a new JL. LOL I actually think that is the hardest pill for me to swallow, loosing the bed. I had an 02 TJ and it was a pile of shit, but i purchased it used and it was beat up. The dealership i was dealing with was too stupid to fix it and eventually bought it back cause they didnt want to continue to fix it for free under extended warranty. I hear that was the last really bad year for the jeeps.

I had a first year YJ (the bastardized half AMC, half Chrysler one). It was a blast to own and drive, but man, that thing was a maintenance nightmare. I went through one engine rebuild, one transmission, one wiring harness, four carburetor rebuilds and one oil pan (cracked when I high centered on a rock).

I have many friends with them, new and old. They haven't changed much in their reliability from hearing them talk about them.

IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG

My aunt owns a 17. It now has 3" lift and 35s. She loves it. If you want her opinion I can pm her number. She's super friendly :sneaky:

2007 to 2011 the Jeep v6 had problems. A lot of them had to be torn into well under 100k miles.

Anyone else seen Mahindra's new Jeep-like (non-street legal) offering? Looks like an updated Willy's...

2007 to 2011 the Jeep v6 had problems. A lot of them had to be torn into well under 100k miles.
This, and manual transmissions that liked to smack the crap out of your hand when they would kick out of second gear on the 1-2 upshift.

I would never own one. Not particularly good at anything, can't haul, poor mileage, poorer reliability. My friend has a Wrangler, comes over once every few weeks to repair something else, not limited to rusted cab mounts, suspension, exhaust and oil leaks. No thanks. Remind me of a poor man's hummer that are easy to dump a ton of money into for pointless shit, lots of people soup them up thinking they're ready for SHTF, but I'd prefer a 5.3L chevy truck any SHTF day.

I had a 2009 Rubicon SWB 6 speed. I don't know what the weather is where the OP lives, but here in CO we have some viscous winds along the front range. Driving that swb at highway speeds was a major pucker factor with the crosswinds up here.

Reactions: Bender
my wife has a 15 rubicon, its great. great gas mileage even though you really driving a small box. The new ones are supposed to be a lot more aerodynamic thus more economical on gas use. ours is the 4 door model. Honestly, I can't wait till she wants the new model coming out so i can do all the cool upgrades to it. we plan on keeping that vehicle for a very long time.

I would never own one. Not particularly good at anything, can't haul, poor mileage, poorer reliability. My friend has a Wrangler, comes over once every few weeks to repair something else, not limited to rusted cab mounts, suspension, exhaust and oil leaks. No thanks. Remind me of a poor man's hummer that are easy to dump a ton of money into for pointless shit, lots of people soup them up thinking they're ready for SHTF, but I'd prefer a 5.3L chevy truck any SHTF day.
My Chevy 5.7L one ton Express van has 240,000 and has started everytime I turned the key. Other than brakes and normal stuff its only needed a fuel pump at 180K and an alternator at 235K. Gets 17 on the highway. What junk.

I had a 2012 Jeep jk that I bought new. At 7k miles the heater core plugged up and had no heat at all going into winter and due to a piss poor dealership I waited 3 months for them to attempt to fix it. I picked it up drove 15 miles and barely had heat so turned around to go back. Was told it was fine so I had to go to a different dealer and had to get Chrysler involved in order for them to fix it. It was also in twice to try and get the transmission grinding/popping out of 2nd and 4th while cold issue fixed as well. After that, it was a good vehicle but I got rid of it at 25k miles just to get back into a truck. I wish I had the jeep back though, it was a fun vehicle. I installed a lift and 33" tires so I had to have a shop put in gears because with the 3.21 gears it was pretty gutless. With 4.56 gears I got 14 mpg in town and 16 on the highway, it's far better than the 10 mpg that my f150 with a 5.4 gets.

I've got a 2012 JKU (3.6l) that has quite a bit done to it. 3.5" lift, 35's, 4.88 gears, fenders, sliders, front/rear bumpers, winch, etc. It's a 5600# pig that's as solid as a tank and can get anywhere I want to go. I've driven it hard and it's been reliable. That said, it's not a truck, never will be a truck, and if you go from driving a (real) truck to a Jeep, you will miss some things. That statement goes both ways, I owned trucks all of my life (until the Jeep) and while they were great at many things, the Jeep flat out excels in situations that I would HATE to have my trucks in. On the other hand, I tow my quads to to the desert a few times per year with the Jeep and while it gets the job done relatively easily, I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish I had a cushy ass 3500 cruising up the grades instead of a rugged ass Jeep struggling up the hills. Different tool for different jobs.

The plan is to eventually have both. Sounds like you would be in the that position since you already have a 3500 for all of the hauling duties, so getting a Jeep would be perfect. Being an "ex truck owner", my only gripes with the Jeep are things that I *should* be using a truck for. You won't have that problem.

I have the red headed step brother, the Cherokee. It’s not as “cool” but just as capable and I think it’s cool in its own right. I wanted a 4dr rubicon, but I refuse to pay that much for a toy!!! Lol. They are cool though....

5617DBCC-266B-4F6D-8960-BF5E4809A32E.jpeg
D229BE1C-102B-4784-8EB1-5F451EA0A253.jpeg
B938FA26-FD9C-4AB7-8138-A36FD0476FCA.jpeg
39B7EA6F-815D-4B33-97BB-9E01C31AB96D.png

I have the red headed step brother, the Cherokee. It’s not as “cool” but just as capable and I think it’s cool in its own right. I wanted a 4dr rubicon, but I refuse to pay that much for a toy!!! Lol. They are cool though....

Way too clean, not enough scars. Hell, you don't even have any blinkers zip-tied to the grille. That poor girl's gunna die of old age if you keep treating her like that.

Also, you should ditch that hollow tube tie-rod. Those things bend if you just look at them funny. They're easy enough to bend back into shape, but then you'll need to do an alignment and depending on weather conditions, that might not be fun at all.

Get a ZJ tie-rod instead. You'll need these parts.

Get the following parts for a 95 Grand Cherokee with a V8
Moog part numbers
ES3096 Tie rod end (short)
DS1312 Long tie Rod
ES2097S Adjustment Sleeve

Last edited:
Yeah, I just picked her up, she is covered in road grime now. I need a SYE kit and a CV drive shaft. I want slightly longer lower control arms too. I’ll definitely get the tie rod you suggested. Not bad for a $2600 Craigslist find! Hell, the AC even works and all electrics work! I’m 90% sure it has new radiator and water pump. It gets poor mileage 14 in town. But it’s paid off and makes me feel 20 again.....

Yeah, I just picked her up, she is covered in road grime now. I need a SYE kit and a CV drive shaft. I want slightly longer lower control arms too. I’ll definitely get the tie rod you suggested. Not bad for a $2600 Craigslist find! Hell, the AC even works and all electrics work! I’m 90% sure it has new radiator and water pump. It gets poor mileage 14 in town. But it’s paid off and makes me feel 20 again.....

Might wanna make sure you're not gonna have a cracked head, first. That looks like an 00-01 or so which had that issue. Somewhere between 70k and 120k the head cracks and things go tits-up in a hurry.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/00-01-xj-cracked-cylinder-head-overview-118922/

Might wanna make sure you're not gonna have a cracked head, first. That looks like an 00-01 or so which had that issue. Somewhere between 70k and 120k the head cracks and things go tits-up in a hurry.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/00-01-xj-cracked-cylinder-head-overview-118922/
Thanks, it’s a 97. Has 190k and change. It runs absolutely amazing. Needs some interior work (headliner and sun visors) but what good jeep doesn’t show love? I might buy another 4.0 block and build a 4.7 stroker for it. It doesn’t like 50mph headwinds at 70 for some reason....lol but it actually does better than I thought it would. I use it for in town dd and like a four wheeler with AC when off road.

Thanks, it’s a 97. Has 190k and change. It runs absolutely amazing. Needs some interior work (headliner and sun visors) but what good jeep doesn’t show love? I might buy another 4.0 block and build a 4.7 stroker for it. It doesn’t like 50mph headwinds at 70 for some reason....lol but it actually does better than I thought it would. I use it for in town dd and like a four wheeler with AC when off road.

Ahh, probably good to go, then. I tried towing a boxy trailer that weighed ~2300lbs and couldn't get over 60 on flatland during a crazy windstorm down here. Getting to 60 took about 3 minutes lmao.

I do the same with mine, it's basically a 4 wheeler with AC and a 1500watt inverter that can run chainsaws and coffee pots. Amazing all the nooks and crannies it can fit into in the dense woods.

A stump or rock buried in brush will really fuck up that stock tierod, though. Ask me how I know =)

Ahh, probably good to go, then. I tried towing a boxy trailer that weighed ~2300lbs and couldn't get over 60 on flatland during a crazy windstorm down here. Getting to 60 took about 3 minutes lmao.

I do the same with mine, it's basically a 4 wheeler with AC and a 1500watt inverter that can run chainsaws and coffee pots. Amazing all the nooks and crannies it can fit into in the dense woods.

A stump or rock buried in brush will really fuck up that stock tierod, though. Ask me how I know =)
I’ve had dirt bikes that cost more than twice what I have in this....lol. I’m really just going to drive it for a couple years until my son is old enough to drive, then it will be his. And I will go buy a Dodge Challenger with the 6.4 L.

I have a Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door with 6 speed manual, like God intended. Honestly I had never cared for them. Figured they were limited use and shit quality. Well my wife wanted one so we got it. Damn if it isn't a fun vehicle to drive. Nothing factory is as capable off road. And I don't mean the shopping mall parking lot. Most surprisingly, haven't had ONE SINGLE issue with it in 5 years (knock on wood). It is just as reliable as my Toyota Tundra has been. And their resale value in my area is ridiculous. I could probably sell it tomorrow and lose maybe 5K-10K from what I paid 5 years ago for it brand new.

Just thinking out loud here @sirhrmechanic , but why don't you just get another Land Rover and be done with it?

Because I got tired of the $1,000 oil changes. At one time, I had 13 Land Rovers. A D90 daily driver. And a ton of variants, including a prototype Forward Control, a real SAS Pink Panther, a Royal Review vehicle... but got rid of collection in 2002 or so. And for 'vintage fun drivearound' I now have my Mutt. Looking for a modern vehicle with some fun features. Like no roof.

But, yeah, I have a soft spot for Landies. If I had been smarter c. 1993, I'd have bought a 110 US spec... when they could not give them away. And if I could buy any vehicle off the lot, worldwide, it would be a TDI 110 Land Rover. But customs hate them here in USA...

Thus my interest in a simple, off the lot... warrantied Jeepish-thing.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have a 2011 JK Unlimited (4 door), bought ex demonstator at 3k km and now at 159k km - in New Zealand with a right hand drive (they make em RH for the US Postal service). Gave it a 2" Old Man Emu lift for better balance with a trailer. Gets regular services at dealer and 4WD mechanic. Only had one issue - a burnt out wire to the cooling fan. My plan was to get a Land Rover 130, but that would have been double the cost.
Gets used as my daily driver, but it's very thirsty.
I had plans on sometimes dropping the windshield - until I saw what a PITA it'd be. It has a hard top on all the time even though I also have a soft top for it. Weather in NZ over summer is too changeable to risk taking everything off, but taking the front panels off is great.
I've added lots of storage accessories eg basket, trays, gun mounts.
AC in summer can't keep things cool enough - too much space I guess.
The subwoofer by the tailgate would be better somewhere else.
Turning circle is appalling.
Road noise will do your head in.
But it's fantastic!
Oh - and my wife says when she is driving it she gets lots of attention from teenage boys when they pull up beside it at traffic lights (it's a gloss back Call of Duty livery) !!!

No, and I wish I never had.

manual diesel 4x4, what's not to love?

Its size for one thing. I looked at that article too and that thing is the same size as or a little bit bigger than a Polaris ATV. The Mahindras are even street legal.

You have mre guns than me, you have more motorcycles than me, you vacation way better than I do, now you are saying you are into Jeeps too, holy hell did you hit the dam lottery, Jeep people are a group that makes harley people look frugal. I want to go over to the jeep thing but hell man I just dont think I can afford that hobby too. Oh well someday maybe.

I do have a diesel jeep cherokee, I liek it but its the wifes and I think it more a car than a jeep.

A couple of friends drive them and love them... I had a CJ in high school and miss the fun little convertible runabout. My last 'Jeep" was my Land Rover defender 90 which I loved! I miss the soft-top and the runabout feel of a Jeep.

Plus I am thinking about retiring the 3500 to towing, plowing and long-distance hauling. It's at 90K, perfect condition. I'd like to keep it another 10 years at least. To replace it for much daily driving... getting a new Jeep Wrangler or JK or whatever they call them now to use as a daily-driver to keep the miles off my truck for a few years.

Looking at two door (SWB) (when I need to carry four people, the truck works fine), soft-top, 6-speed manual, AC, Sirius and Connectivity package as 'must have.' Other than that, don't need a lot of kit. I'd like the Diesel, but don't think it is worth it.... may not be available in the SWB anyway.

Who has had late model Jeeps and what do you guys think of them? Lots of web sites (click-bait idiots) whine about them. But they whine about everything that is fun. Looking for some real owner input... from actual members of the tribe. And the 'Hide! I'll probably wait until late summer/early fall anyway. Get a leftover '18 when the 2019's come out. So just fishing right now...

Cheers,

Sirhr

You have mre guns than me, you have more motorcycles than me, you vacation way better than I do, now you are saying you are into Jeeps too, holy hell did you hit the dam lottery, Jeep people are a group that makes harley people look frugal. I want to go over to the jeep thing but hell man I just dont think I can afford that hobby too. Oh well someday maybe.

I do have a diesel jeep cherokee, I liek it but its the wifes and I think it more a car than a jeep.

Here, buy this Mig and he can shoot at you with his gatling guns while you laugh at him in a Polish accent.
http://flightplanet.com/jet-aircraft-for-sale/mikoyan/mig-21__2755.php

I have a 97 TJ that I bought bone stock out of someones garage who was going to make it a project Jeep and then had to sell it when the wife got pregnant. Got it for basically nothing and other than normal wear/tear all it needed was a new windshield, seat covers and a paint job.

Have a friend that owns a local body shop so I decided to have it 100% stripped down and prepped. Took all the bumpers and fenders off and replaced them with MetalCloak fenders and frame mounted bumpers as well as the tire carrier. Put 33 inch tires on it, high end LED light bar, LED fog lights and smaller LED bar ontop of the winch. Dad axles swapped out and put in ARB air lockers as well as had the electrical completely redone and added gauges/switches on the dash for the Warne winch, air locker and all of the exterior lights. Had the entire inside and outside of it coated in 686 Tan.

I've put 20k miles on it since and the only issues I've had was a small exhaust leak and one of the bearings on the belt went and had to switch that out. Other than that, nothing; and this thing isn't babied, I beat the shit out of it offroad.

Coming upgrades are a new suspension as its 20 years old and you can tell. Want to switch it all out together and get a 3.5 inch lift so I can keep it a shortarm and then go with the improved/hydraulic Billstein shocks as I tend to use it more as an offroad 'rally Jeep' than I do as a rock crawler. if the engine ever goes, I'd love to put a TDI Diesel in it with a turbo.

Because I got tired of the $1,000 oil changes. At one time, I had 13 Land Rovers. A D90 daily driver. And a ton of variants, including a prototype Forward Control, a real SAS Pink Panther, a Royal Review vehicle... but got rid of collection in 2002 or so. And for 'vintage fun drivearound' I now have my Mutt. Looking for a modern vehicle with some fun features. Like no roof.

But, yeah, I have a soft spot for Landies. If I had been smarter c. 1993, I'd have bought a 110 US spec... when they could not give them away. And if I could buy any vehicle off the lot, worldwide, it would be a TDI 110 Land Rover. But customs hate them here in USA...

Thus my interest in a simple, off the lot... warrantied Jeepish-thing.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Years back I had the V12 Jaguar XJS and I know your pain.

It needed an annual tune up. You had to take the axles off to do any work on the brakes. An oil change required 2 hours of labor ontop of the oil change because of the parts you had to take off/put back on in order to service it.

Here, buy this Mig and he can shoot at you with his gatling guns while you laugh at him in a Polish accent.
http://flightplanet.com/jet-aircraft-for-sale/mikoyan/mig-21__2755.php
Q&D,

Be careful of what you suggest. :)

I shit you not, a few years back (before 9/11) a couple of guys (corporate execs) thought it would be cool to buy a Mig, so they went out and bought one. It arrived (with a Russian assembly & training crew) and the guys got it put back together (it was shipped in crates) and airworthy. Upon asking for clearance to take off (and being granted clearance) they requested confirmation a second time since they were armed and wanted to double check. Yep. Ammo was loaded and air-to-air missiles were hanging off the pylons. Feds literally shit their pants on that one. Somebody in ICE/DHS probably got fired...

Years back I had the V12 Jaguar XJS and I know your pain.

It needed an annual tune up. You had to take the axles off to do any work on the brakes. An oil change required 2 hours of labor ontop of the oil change because of the parts you had to take off/put back on in order to service it.

Yeah, that's why the maintenance plan (though pricey) is worth it, so as to not have to deal with the nit noid maintenance 'nickel and dime you to death' schedule. Overall I've been impressed with the newer Discovery Sport. Pretty reliable, and though I'm not about to go rock crawling, it does surprisingly well off road. Plus, the wife likes to drive it (that's really what sealed the deal), and it has all the creature comforts she wanted. The top doesn't come off (like the Evoque convertible), but the panoramic glass roof does give a pretty open feeling.

Q&D,

I shit you not, a few years back (before 9/11) a couple of guys (corporate execs) thought it would be cool to buy a Mig, so they went out and bought one. It arrived (with a Russian assembly & training crew) and the guys got it put back together (it was shipped in crates) and airworthy. Upon asking for clearance to take off (and being granted clearance) they requested confirmation a second time since they were armed and wanted to double check. Yep. Ammo was loaded and air-to-air missiles were hanging off the pylons. Feds literally shit their pants on that one. Somebody in ICE/DHS probably got fired...
Isn’t this what ITAR is exactly for? Lol

Reactions: MarinePMI
Q&D,

That is the coolest story I will probably read all day.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Yeah, the Feds stayed super quiet about it, but us in DoD Intel were briefed on it (since we handled international weapons transhipment monitoring). At the time (don't know about now, but) Marines were the remaining service where the imagery analysts were still trained (and used) crateology. Yep, the study of shipping crates. Who'da thunk, eh? Migs (each variant) have very distinct crates to a trained analyst...

Sorry for the thread hijack Sirh. :(