• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any lawn fanatics out there

Rlovato

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Just wanted to see if there was any gun nut lawn guys like me out there
20181002_162443.jpg

I used to be but things change. A basketball playing kid trampling the front lawn, a female pup pissing and shitting causing brown and dead spots and last but not least, back problems. I gave up and decided the hassle was no longer worth it.
I don't enjoy looking at the lawn any more but I have more time to do nothing

I have two lawns to deal with right now. Our old home, still unsold, 45 min away that has about 1/3 acre of mowing, and the new home with 2/3 acre of mowing. Anyone looking for a cheap home around West Metro ATL?

No. Fucking. Way. Lesseeee ? Mow lawns or reload/go shoot. Don't tell me, give me a minute, I'll figure it out :unsure:.......

I hate yard work.

Caserone and KillZall are my friends.

I love shooting fishing and taking care of my lawn they all get their own time. The wife says i have more hobbies then i have money and she hit the nail on the head! Lol

My lawn and landscape is pretty decent, but I am going to wait for the black socks and Sketchers phase of life to really care.

I love shooting fishing and taking care of my lawn they all get their own time. The wife says i have more hobbies then i have money and she hit the nail on the head! Lol

Yeah, I was being a smartass with my response, but I do have respect for people that are into lawns, yards and landscaping. I dont have time or interest in it anymore, but I do have a Jack Pine Banzai tree that is mine and no one else gets to touch. Its really cool. :cool::cool:

Used to mow commercially, reduced to a push mower these days.....not quite a Walker, but I still stripe my ghetto lawn, wife thinks I'm a hoot. Definitely an all outdoors kind of guy, so I'm with ya!

Reactions: Rlovato
Its the definition of insanity, designed to drive suburban males crazy. Someones bright idea to plant a ground cover that requires maintenance at least once a week in the summer, sometimes twice a week during a wet summer in the South. Cut it, it grows right back, repeat ad nauseam.

Reactions: XLR308 and Dirty D
In a good year I get 5 cuttings off mine.
At $150/ton, that's pretty good.

Myself and my yard, I cut the grass when it needs cutting, give it a weed and feed once or twice a year, and call it good. If mother nature doesn't put water on it (and I'm not trying to get seed to start), it doesn't need to be watered and I certainly don't need to be using such a valuable commodity on grass looking pretty. It comes back every year whether it browns out early or not.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Mow when it's needed, doesn't take more than an hour. I never run a sprinkler on lawn grass, refuse to irrigate without a financial return. This time of the year, the next mowing will be the last. 30 degrees the other morning, mowing is done.

Reactions: tnichols
This time of the year, the next mowing will be the last. 30 degrees the other morning, mowing is done.
Same here, first snow coming in next week if the weather forecast is right, but I haven't cut in nearly a month since we haven't gotten a good rain since late July and most has browned out. I'll run the mower to mulch the leaves when they come off the trees though, helps the wind move them off the yard faster yet still lays down a good layer for the soil. Raking is for chumps, and it robs the land and good insects of nutrients and habitat.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
Absolutely! I'm a big time lawn nut! When it looks like I'm starting to get a lawn, I go nuts with the round-up.
Gravel and leaf litter and mulch. When you live in the woods, ain't nobody round to admire your purdy grass no how. With all the free time, I can work on all the other shit my wife wants me too. Plenty of time for new kitchen, new roof, new master bath, new floor in the bedroom, paint these walls, paint those walls, let's change the color of this, let's change the color of that......
Now that I think about it....maybe I need me a fancy lawn. Couldn't be harder than the shit I've been doing in my "free time".

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
Back around 2005 a buddy bought a brand new house. The back yard was unfinished and he had about 3/4 mile of conservation area (dry swamp) behind him.

He was mentioning that he needed to get his sprinklers installed and order a shit ton of grass.
I jokingly told him since he loved the beach so much he should just turn his back yard into a beach.

Two weeks later, I get these pics from him.

Todd.jpeg
Todd 2.jpeg

I refuse to waste time growing something you can't eat. I am a natural guy, mow it and let nature handle the rest. I could give a shit less if you find me a substandard person for not having a well manicure lawn. JMHO

Back around 2005 a buddy bought a brand new house. The back yard was unfinished and he had about 3/4 mile of conservation area (dry swamp) behind him.

He was mentioning that he needed to get his sprinklers installed and order a shit ton of grass.
I jokingly told him since he loved the beach so much he should just turn his back yard into a beach.

Two weeks later, I get these pics from him.

View attachment 6951159View attachment 6951160
Thats a cool idea

Tucker, love that setting! How much mowing do you have? Ours needs about 7 hours a week (for the 2 mowings) + trimming but yours is much larger!

WInter is nice though. Restful. Peaceful.
Tucker, love that setting! How much mowing do you have? Ours needs about 7 hours a week (for the 2 mowings) + trimming but yours is much larger!

The whole property is 70 acres, but the mowing, including when I do the areas out by the highway is 7 acres.
I'm working on the area on the other side of the driveway from the house now. I planted 250 Norway Spruce in about 7 rows last Spring. Those are to give us a better privacy screen in winter when the leaves are off the hardwoods. Sometimes you can see the lights through the trees.
The rest of the area is being reworked for wildlife habitat. About a third of it is already sown in clover, brassicas, and winter peas.
The other two thirds just got shaved yesterday and I'm going to spray it later today or tomorrow. In about a week that will be sown in crimson clover for the winter cover and forage, then I'm leaning towards sunflowers next June and see how it goes.

If I push hard I can mow it all in about 2.5 hours, but it's better to take my time and do it in about 4.

Reactions: remaction
Yard is about an acre. I use a 55cc stihl brush cutter. 4 times this year. Let it get up about 18”. Doing my part to increase o2.

Reactions: Tucker301
@Tucker301 Flowers in mid May and millet late May / early June hits about right for early Sept dove. You hosting first annual hide dove shoot and midget toss?

Btw, a lot of real pretty places posted.

Reactions: Tucker301
@Tucker301 Flowers in mid May and millet late May / early June hits about right for early Sept dove. You hosting first annual hide dove shoot and midget toss?

Btw, a lot of real pretty places posted.

You can see in that last photo that I did have millet around the pond one year. After that was done I began putting Durana clover around the steepest banks that I can't get to with the riding mower. It's done very well this year and the deer love it! I looked out last night about two hours after dark and the eyes looked like a parking lot.
Still had some remnant weeds in it this summer. Next year I am going to try some selective herbicide made to kill everything but clover and see if I can get it dialed in even better. Hoping to get it to where the deer do the steep grades for me. ;)

Once upon a time before I had another dog and the foxes were still eating rabbits. Then the coyotes ate all the foxes and we have a real rabbit problem and the dog didn't help at all.

IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0354.jpeg

IMG_0353.jpeg

IMG_0355.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    776 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    975 KB · Views: 10
Oh, and @MtnCreek , shooting doves over sunflowers is fun, but shooting doves over a cucumber patch that was disced a few days prior, well that's more like Stand Your Ground self defense stuff.

Reactions: oneshot86