• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any Leupold VX-3i LRP FFP users here?

burneyr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2006
N. Florida
I know it's discontinued, but some old stock is still out there. Incoming rifle - looked at many choices but this one is the right combination of weight, size, and features I need.

Please respond if you have direct experience with one of these. I'm particularly interested in the 4.5-14x50mm, but all the models used the same turret system and glass.

Thanks!

I have the 4.5x14x50mm in a FFP with the CCH reticle. It’s currently sitting on a practice/backup competition rifle since upgrading to the Mark 5.

no issues, always returned to zero. The one downside is the eye box gets tight at max power.

I think only the 4.5-14 got discontinued, I had the 6.5-20X50 LRP with FFP CCH and it was a nice scope, some quirks but I wouldn't get the CCH in the 4.5-14, go with the TMR if available. Per Leupold's literature the CCH was optimized for higher magnifications and I could certainly agree with that. In the 6.5-20, by the time I dialed down to 12X-10X the reticle was getting pretty hard to see where other Christmas tree designs are still usable down that low.

The tracking was good, no issues there, and while the turret is a little unorthodox it ended up growing on me because the zero stop is automatically set when you rezero the turrets and overall feel of them wasn't bad. The rev indicator doesn't tell you the number of revolutions you've made but the amount of elevation you've dialed, so instead of 1,2,3 like most it has 5, 10, 15 for the mils. The parallax knob had some lash in it but not too bad, was still able to get parallax free, but the minimum distance is a little long for a rimfire. The one I had would only go down to about 60 yards or so, perfectly fine for a centerfire but I'd planned on using it on my .22 for precision rimfire matches, so that didn't work out.

Optically, it was fine, not the best and not the worst, it was clear edge to edge but there could be a good amount of chromatic aberration at high power. As described above, the eye box could get tight at high magnification also but it was workable. Overall, I felt the LRP was a good optic, not a replacement for the Mk4 in any way but decent option for the casual long range shooter but at the same time not worth their full asking price.

I like mine. 21ozs! Mine has been jumping back and forth between an ar-10 and a hunting rifle. Like said above, large elevation knob. Glass is good enough.
I have the impact 60 moa reticle. Scope is pretty compact.
It’s my only leupold scope and I’ll be keeping it. I haven’t found anything lighter, more compact and higher than 14x. I’ve been active looking for something better for a year.

Last edited:
Reticle (tmr) is a little fine- for me- for hunting...that said, I shot a nice axis and a pig last weekend, so there is that.
I think the best attribute for that scope is the wieght.
Replacing mine with a bushy lrhsi with the doughnut of death, as I like that reticle better.
Good scope, just didnt personally fall in love with it.

6.5x20x50 owner x2-
TMR is very fine at lower magnification.
I used one at the SH Iowa class, it tracked at 99% according to Mark.
I have not checked the tracking on the second one yet.
Elevation turret is obscenely tall.
Good value scope IMO.

I have one 3.5-10 but haven’t used it yet. Was going to put it on my hunting rifle but the rifle got severely delayed due to the pandemic. From initial view the view is pretty clear and eye relief is good too.