• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any loads for 280 Ackley and 180 Begers?

elmerdeer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Canada, quebec
Hi guys I am getting my Win M70 280AI custum back from the gunsmith this week and would like to try the 180gr bergers. Has anyone found any good loads with this combo? My barrel is a Krieger FW contour with a 1-9.5 twist finished at 24", and the powders I have on hand are H4831,Rl-22, Rl-25, Imr7828,Retumbo, and Rl-17.
Thanks
Elmer

Re: Any loads for 280 Ackley and 180 Begers?

You're not going to win any speed records with the 24" barrel but RL17 in the 52gr range will be a reasonable starting point. RL22 with 53.5gr is a node in my 7/270 but it's rather light/slow at only 2800 fps. Retumbo is going to be much too slow for this application, especially at the 24" length, I think 7828 will be too slow as well, but that's worth trying to make sure. H4831sc is going to be a little on the fast side, more applicable to 160class bullets but it should be extremely consistent. RL25 is going to be the same judgement call as the 7828, it may be too slow but it's worth shooting a few to see what you get.

I think your best bet is probably going to be the RL17

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're not going to win any speed records with the 24" barrel but RL17 in the 52gr range will be a reasonable starting point. RL22 with 53.5gr is a node in my 7/270 but it's rather light/slow at only 2800 fps. Retumbo is going to be much too slow for this application, especially at the 24" length, I think 7828 will be too slow as well, but that's worth trying to make sure. H4831sc is going to be a little on the fast side, more applicable to 160class bullets but it should be extremely consistent. RL25 is going to be the same judgement call as the 7828, it may be too slow but it's worth shooting a few to see what you get.

I think your best bet is probably going to be the RL17</div></div>
Thank you bohem, I will try it and see.
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on the region you're shooting in. Usually a 9.25 or 9.5 will stabilize it but that's not a guarantee.</div></div>
What do you mean by region is it altitude? I will be shooting at 100ft above sea level in Quebec, and hunting in Saskatchewan which is 1500ft above sea level and when I go hunting its cold, Around 0 degrees farenheit and colder. Just curious.
Thanks
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elmerdeer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on the region you're shooting in. Usually a 9.25 or 9.5 will stabilize it but that's not a guarantee.</div></div>
What do you mean by region is it altitude? I will be shooting at 100ft above sea level in Quebec, and hunting in Saskatchewan which is 1500ft above sea level and when I go hunting its cold, Around 0 degrees farenheit and colder. Just curious.
Thanks
Elmer </div></div>

I'd suggest you give Berger a call or send a PM to Bryan Litz about it then.

I'm referring to a combination of altitude and temperature. Canada winters at relatively low altitudes may cause you some problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elmerdeer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on the region you're shooting in. Usually a 9.25 or 9.5 will stabilize it but that's not a guarantee.</div></div>
Thanks
Elmer </div></div>

I'd suggest you give Berger a call or send a PM to Bryan Litz about it then.

I'm referring to a combination of altitude and temperature. Canada winters at relatively low altitudes may cause you some problems.</div></div>
Thanks, I will.
Elmer