• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any loads for .308 with OAL 2.95 or longer?

dntfxr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2004
north loUiSiAna
I had an extended mag box put on my LTR with factory tube and it has really opened up alot of options for load potential. I'm starting load development with 168 Amax just kissing the lands @ 2.968". I plan on starting around 45g, any one have an idea what max load would be with Varget at that length?

I also have some 150bt to try at around the same OAL or a little longer, but they wont quite reach the lands from the magazine. It looks like I should be able to get a bit more velocity from r-15 or imr4895 but I'm open to suggestions.
Anyone have any loads at longer OAL in .308?

Thanks
dntfxr

Re: Any loads for .308 with OAL 2.95 or longer?

I have one rifle that likes a 2.9 OAL, 175 smk-45g Varget.

I have loaded 178gr AMAX's to 2.995 during development, didnt work well for me so I settled at OAL of 2.886 and I get amazing results (.442" smallest, .832" largest)Regarding your question, the max I have used with varget at this length is 44.3grs, havent felt the need to go higher.
-Taylor

Thanks for the responses guys. The difference in my seating depth gives me roughly 3 grains more capacity.I have been thinking I could use that extra capacity and flatten the trajectory a bit, but not if its at the expense of accuracy. I have some loads ready for testing that just kiss the lands, but I may seat them in another .010 to keep pressures down.
Any responses and suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks,
dntfxr

Alright, I have an update. I kept the rounds touching the lands @ 2.968. The rifle likes it! These are all 100yd 3 shot groups. The 48g load is MAX in this gun, I'll probably stick with 46 but I'll try some more around both charge weights. The 47 and 47.5 groups opened up a bit, but 45-46.5 were all under .6" so it's got to be the more forgiving load. I didn't bring my chrono so I have no numbers yet but I think I will stick with this combo! These pics are of the 46, 46.5, 48 g loads with and without the dime for comparison. I had great vertical dispersion with all loads 45-48g and some of the horizontal I know was the wind on those as it got gusty at times.
targets001.jpg

jackson2years195.jpg

targets002.jpg

jackson2years196.jpg

targets003.jpg

jackson2years197.jpg

I'm surprised that the extended mag box is not a more common mod, but I highly recommend it. It took a little tweaking to get it to feed just right, and with the factory bottom metal I lost 1 round capacity, but it is well worth it IMO.
thanks,
dntfxr