• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Any local Precision Rifle clubs that host monthly matches near Austin, TX or Atlanta, GA?

jjshooots

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2020
California
Hey All,

I’m in need of some guidance from some local Texans and Georgians.

I may be moving out to one of the two states in a year or so (Austin or Atlanta), and have been trying my best to find some local clubs to shoot at that are semi close to those cities. My results have been sparse tho.

I’m fairly new to all this; only shot two matches at my local club here in Cali. But I’m hooked now and would like to keep going if I were to move lol!

So hopefully you guys can offer some clubs that are a welcoming to newer guys; and that I can shoot monthly matches at, or even just practice at?

What I’m gathering for Texas is that Jacobs Plain Gun Club is a great club. But it’s a little bit of a drive from Austin, which is fine; but are there any others that are a little closer to Austin?

As for Atlanta, all I’ve seen that is semi close is Cool Acres and another that was out west that I forget the name of— but are there any more?

Anyways, thanks in advance for all your help with this if you get to it!

——————-
TLDR:

Any PRS style clubs near Austin, TX or Atlanta, GA within 2 hours roughly? And welcoming to newer shooters.

ATX Precision in Burnet, Tx monthly
and
TEXAS Precision match are your 2 options in central Texas… but if you don’t mind traveling… you can probably find match here every weekend of the month during match season .

In Georgia:
- Cool Acres Sporting Camp in Swainsboro, GA (website has their events)
- Rifle Ranch in Graham, AL (no website, need to keep tabs on their Facebook page; I don't have Facebook so I depend on others)
- Arena Training Facility in Blakely, GA (apparently they have events but they aren't on the website and I don't know where to find them)
- K&M Shooting Facility in Finger, TN (6+ hours away but on the East Coast, it's THE place to be for PRS competition and training, IMO)
- Dead Zero Shooting Park in Spencer, TN (3-ish hours away from Atlanta; don't really seem to have PRS competitions but great place)

There are a couple "just ranges" around, too, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

There's also a number of gun clubs in Georgia that are more of the "NRA-fanboy variety" that have the 2- and 3-gun and service rifle type stuff. Plenty of places you can do your fair share of ISPSA and IDPA pistol shooting if you want to, as well.

Austin, Texas is likely going to be much better hub for a long range shooter (even despite that particular city's desire to vote blue) due to the size of the state and the fact the state overall is not in an immediate rush to turn blue like Georgia is. Texas has a ton of long range facilities and land that you can shoot on (potentially even public land you can just... go shoot on; someone would have to validate that for me).

Either you'll be fine but what comes often goes. Only 5 years ago there were many more long range facilities around the Atlanta area. Most got shut down because of neighborhoods being built, owners dying off or selling, or owners changing to something that actually made money.

Reactions: jjshooots
In Georgia:
- Cool Acres Sporting Camp in Swainsboro, GA (website has their events)
- Rifle Ranch in Graham, AL (no website, need to keep tabs on their Facebook page; I don't have Facebook so I depend on others)
- Arena Training Facility in Blakely, GA (apparently they have events but they aren't on the website and I don't know where to find them)
- K&M Shooting Facility in Finger, TN (6+ hours away but on the East Coast, it's THE place to be for PRS competition and training, IMO)
- Dead Zero Shooting Park in Spencer, TN (3-ish hours away from Atlanta; don't really seem to have PRS competitions but great place)

There are a couple "just ranges" around, too, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

There's also a number of gun clubs in Georgia that are more of the "NRA-fanboy variety" that have the 2- and 3-gun and service rifle type stuff. Plenty of places you can do your fair share of ISPSA and IDPA pistol shooting if you want to, as well.

Austin, Texas is likely going to be much better hub for a long range shooter (even despite that particular city's desire to vote blue) due to the size of the state and the fact the state overall is not in an immediate rush to turn blue like Georgia is. Texas has a ton of long range facilities and land that you can shoot on (potentially even public land you can just... go shoot on; someone would have to validate that for me).

Either you'll be fine but what comes often goes. Only 5 years ago there were many more long range facilities around the Atlanta area. Most got shut down because of neighborhoods being built, owners dying off or selling, or owners changing to something that actually made money.
Unfortunately no public land that would allow 👎 …. And yes these idiots keep voting blue .. but Austin does allow anyone to travel to the other matches here within reason

SoTex club matches travels to different venues.. makes it a blast that things are different from match to match.

Reactions: jjshooots
Hey All,

Just wanted to quickly resurface this thread — Dallas is now on the table for me.

What's the status of Centerfire or Rimfire club matches in the Dallas area / where are the matches there?

It seems the main one is Fossil Pointe now (Not sure what's going on with Jacobs Plain Gun Club, as I'm not seeing their Facebook anymore — did they close?)

Thanks for any help here again!

Hey All,

Just wanted to quickly resurface this thread — Dallas is now on the table for me.

What's the status of Centerfire or Rimfire club matches in the Dallas area / where are the matches there?

It seems the main one is Fossil Pointe now (Not sure what's going on with Jacobs Plain Gun Club, as I'm not seeing their Facebook anymore — did they close?)

Thanks for any help here again!
For Dallas, I assume you have a facebook, join the TxPRC North Members group