• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Lock Pickers Here?

aSilk_Suit007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2018
North TX
A few years ago, I locked the keys to my rifle case inside the CASE! No big deal, ill just cut it off with the bolt cutters at home. Well...no. My car keys and that key are on the SAME ring. So now me and my buddy are stranded in the middle of now where, right? No. This guy always carries a small lock pick kit in his pocket. Within 5 minutes, he had the lock picked and we were on our way! 4 days later my pick set came in and and I TOO was picking locks. Glad I talked him into coming that day
unnamed.jpg

Reactions: MarkLeupold
Yeah, that'll work with a key lock but did me no good when I forgot the combination to the cabled pistol case that my suppressor was legally secured in. Took me two months to go through nearly a thousand number combinations to get it open. I hate these senior moments!

ive always had good luck with Peterson picks
https://thinkpeterson.com/

i generally avoid anything thats plated.....the plating always flakes off fast and they feel like shit in the lock.

really the only picks i find i need for most locks are a
  • single hook
  • bogota
  • snake
  • key/ripple
i would avoid the pre assembled sets......they always give you a bunch of picks you never use.

ide buy the picks individually..and buy aditional picks as you find you need them.

ide buy all of the above......but ide buy a spare single hook.....toss in a broken pick extractor.....and a couple of tension bars

Last edited:
what mcameron said ..,"avoid the pre assembled sets......they always give you a bunch of picks you never use. "
I more a raker and picker than a true skilled picker on the pins . You will need a few different tension bars for sure, from small and thin to a little more heavy . and there is a Whole bunch of knowledge that only a real formally trained tradesman knows .

locks and playing with the barrels and pins are the thing You have to stay current on also . I used to have a whole bunch of padlocks locked on a chain that I would just sit and unlock while watching tv and sitting around to stay in the feel of things .

Reactions: Lc17smp
Yeah, that'll work with a key lock but did me no good when I forgot the combination to the cabled pistol case that my suppressor was legally secured in. Took me two months to go through nearly a thousand number combinations to get it open. I hate these senior moments!

A combination lock works by two ball barings securing the shackle. You shim not pick a combination lock. By taking a thin yet firm piece of metal (a pop can) you can separate the ball barring from the cut on the shackle thus opening the lock.

I carry a set of Southord picks that I got at a gun show a long time ago. They've gotten me into my house and my locker at work more than once when I forgot a key. Been a long time since I've tried padlocks, but for a while I was pretty good at them.

I carry this at work

69090_alt_02.jpg

https://www.duluthtrading.com/lock-pick-tool-69090.html

The company I work for does institutional casework and such and it's come in handy a few times when we've had to open the lock on a cabinet or something. I've successfully tried it out on a couple Master Locks too and it opened them up pretty easily, plus when it's stowed it just looks like another pen in my bag.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I paid a locksmith $80 to open up a storage unit that I had lost the key for. He gets out of his truck with one of these and about 20 seconds later I was in the unit. I could have bought three for the price I paid him... *facepalm*

angle-grinder-product-art.jpg

Reactions: winniedonkey
I have a "bump key" set that I have used from time to time. But it takes a lot of practice and you need the blank to fit whatever lock your getting in to. I keep my key set locked up in the safe as it could easily be used to break in to locks. I keep it to help out a friend or if I lose a key to something. I rarely lose keys though and I'm out of practice. But a bump key set can get you into a lot of tumblers if you have a blank that will fit. If I had to use it today it would probably take me a while to get a simple home depot knock off lock set open. But eventually could bump it open most likely.

You can research these they are fairly common nowadays. I'm not really comfortable recommending a set as these can be used to break into locks that shouldn't be broken into. But I will say a good set is gonna run you a pretty penny.

In response to my post above^^^
I worked as a Maintenance Supervisor and had 2 seperate 100+ unit hotels that I was in charge of. Before upgrading both buildings to the digital keycard deadbolt systems we had the old school room keys. Even after we upgraded both buildings to keycard systems we kept all of our equipment rooms, breakfast bars and offices/conference rooms under the old hard key system. So when our maintenance guys lost the key, then lost the master, or quit and never returned their key rings, etc. I would from time to time have to bump open equipment areas to get in and replace or re-key the locksets. This company didn't always like to pay for the tools we needed. So I would buy some tools that were necessary out of my own pocket. A professional bump-key set up being one of those necessities. My blanks are mostly all likely obsolete by now and the odds of finding a lock to match my blanks are rare.

Anyway, just felt I should explain why I even possess a set. I cant stand a sneaking, dirty thief. I never even consider using my set anymore unless it's for someone I know well. Even then I usually have to order a blank to fit. But it is very interesting if your into mechanical stuff like locks. To use picks and torque bars is a whole other ballgame, requires much practice and develope a sense of "feel".

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
for no real reason I used to binge watch Bosnianbill on youtube.

his lock picking videos and voice are soothing. and he's a firearms guy so he even shoots them to test their 'strength'.

very informative too. check him out

Omg I thought I was the only one that used to watch BosnianBill for the soothing tone. I hoped to learn through osmosis and watch while I inevitably always doze off.

Reactions: Olen_4504
I've never 'broken into' anything illegally, but I will at the same time say that I've had to break into a lot of stuff. I have lost keys, I have forgotten combinations, and I've also got friends and family.

They ALL know that if they need something 'gotten into', to bring it to me. No, I have never advertised this, nor have I really said anything aloud. Folks just seem to know. I've also never boughten any lockpicks or gizmo's.... just made what was needed at the time. One of my bro's lost the keys to his own gun cabinetS (TWO OF THEM) and brought them both here to my home, to do.

I knew they were his, because I'd seen them often enough at his house, both open and closed. Locks only keep the honest folks out. There are so many ways of circumventing,,, that it really is delusional and scary when you think about it.

Piece of mind.... but is it really? Anyone ever seen the tumblers inside a Sargent and Greenlee jailcell door? Quite interesting, to say the least.

Or you can make a bump key but you need to know the type key for the blank

Sparrows has some nice kits. Build your own. You definitely need a few tension wrenches, a couple takes, and at least one hook for working individual pins.

Then prepare for the scare, cause you'll need to change out stuff on your house when you see how easy it can be. I can get through standard quicksets easy peasy.

I will say the new quickset smartkey locks are way better than their predecessors.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Learned in the military a half C. ago. It's a handy skill. First set was the H.P.C. Inc. double sided bi-fold. When I got home I picked up a much smaller Ilco set. Both Co.s are still around. A lot of locks have serious design flaws which can be very quickly exploited.