• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Any locksmith’s in the house, I have a question

GrantB

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Louisiana
Changing an amsec electronic lock out to a mechanical one, my question is, are s&g group 1 and group 2 dials and or lock boxes interchangeable. Can I use a group 1 box with a group 2 dial?

On my AMSEC safe I had a e-lock go bad. While not an AMSEC e-lock I had to change out my e-lock to a mechanical dial. Needed the whole thing changed out. Luckily I was able to open the safe, get the smith out, new stuff installed, done.

I'm a locksmith, and we see the Group 1 stuff very infrequently, let alone do we mix and match like that. I'd guess that the dial may interchange as long as the spindle is long enough. Unless you have a ton of experience and know the pitfalls, you're better off with a complete Group II replacement lock.

I'm a locksmith, and we see the Group 1 stuff very infrequently, let alone do we mix and match like that. I'd guess that the dial may interchange as long as the spindle is long enough. Unless you have a ton of experience and know the pitfalls, you're better off with a complete Group II replacement lock.
Thanks. It’s a TL 15 rated safe and the electronic lock says it’s a group 1. I’ve installed a few group 2’s and a couple 2Ms, are group 1s harder or more complicated to install?

Thanks. It’s a TL 15 rated safe and the electronic lock says it’s a group 1. I’ve installed a few group 2’s and a couple 2Ms, are group 1s harder or more complicated to install?
What electronic are you removing? ESL10? Group 1 mechanicals are more robust and more complicated. There is more going on inside a group one mechanical, just have to be careful, especially with the internal relocker.

Assuming the hole pattern is the same format between the amused electronic and the s&g mechanical one and the bolt operation is the same, changing to the mechanical won't be a problem.

I work with group 1 locks daily. The dial ring will interchange with s&g group 1 & 2 but the actual dial and case is different between the 8400 and 8500 series group 1 locks and the 6600/6700 group 2 locks. Complete lock will interchange.

The 8500 series of group 1 locks essentially installs the same as a group 2 s&g

Unless you are worried about someone manipulating their way into your safe, stick to the group 2. It's the type that is on the vast majority of mechanical lock safes including bank vaults. Also with the group 1 locks you are limited to 1 maybe 2 dial styles. Think GSA safes and vaults.

1668478762121.gif

Am I too late to help?

Assuming the hole pattern is the same format between the amused electronic and the s&g mechanical one and the bolt operation is the same, changing to the mechanical won't be a problem.

I work with group 1 locks daily. The dial ring will interchange with s&g group 1 & 2 but the actual dial and case is different between the 8400 and 8500 series group 1 locks and the 6600/6700 group 2 locks. Complete lock will interchange.

The 8500 series of group 1 locks essentially installs the same as a group 2 s&g

Unless you are worried about someone manipulating their way into your safe, stick to the group 2. It's the type that is on the vast majority of mechanical lock safes including bank vaults. Also with the group 1 locks you are limited to 1 maybe 2 dial styles. Think GSA safes and vaults.
So you think the group 2 locks will protect me well enough? This safe isn’t in a business or a jewelry store so I am probably not going to see a professional manipulator, just the sledge hammer guys but it is protecting a sizable amount of valuables. What locks do you recommend, big red, s&g, laguard or something else

The wheel packs and bolt are the same. The mechanism which prevents manipulation is the only difference.

My preference is s&g. I work with a limited number of lock brands and if it isn't s&g it's a company that is no longer in business. I've had my hands on a big red and laguard and wasn't impressed with the quality.

Reactions: GrantB