• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any major benefits from aftermarket stocks?

kyle1974

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Corpus Christi
I have been shooting my LTR for a month or so, and wondering about possibly slapping a new stock on it. What I'm wondering is... I like the standard stock OK... the rifle shoots well. I would hate to spend $500-$800 on a stock to find out there's no real advantage. the LTR has a bedding block, and the rifle is bedded. I like the more pronounced pistol grip, but if the only difference is a slightly different feel, I think I'd just spend the money on ammo.

so for everyone that has swapped to upgraded stocks (Manners, Mcmillan, etc...) have you noticed improvements to your shooting?

Re: Any major benefits from aftermarket stocks?

kyle,

Yes, when you buy a new stock for your rifle, the Fairy Stock Mother grants you three wishes.......Improved shooting is one of them!!!!

Seriously, a stock is subjective. If it fits you and shoots good, keep it. If it does not fit you or your shooting style kick it to the curb and buy want you need. If your stock is fit for the purpose it was intended, then improvements in shooting come from practice, not equipment.

Your HS stock is serviceable, use it, shoot it, and when it comes time to replace your barrel, you can upgrade your stock as well.

Bob

well.... that little tramp hasn't been good to me lately!
laugh.gif

I have never owned a high end stock, and didn't know if it was just an issue of fitting, or they were capable of better bedding properties.. or whatever else..

I think I may tape some foam, or put one of those stock packs to get a better fit there... if that works, I can tell the wife how I jsut saved a bunch of money for my next gun... she will be so proud.

People change their stocks because of a number of reasons. May be because it will be more "tacticool", ergonomical, and of course improvement of accuracy. The last reason is more applicable toward lower end stock rifles. The LTR are very accurate out of the box. Certainly, if it shoots well, I would leave it alone. You can take that money and spend it toward your next rifle.

yep keep the stock, tell the wife you saved a bunch of money, then spend it all on ammo, sounds like a great idea to me