• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any mountain bikers out there

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    Ellsworth Truth nonSST with Mavic Crossmax wheels Sram X0/Raceface drivetrain Cloud Nine shock and a Fox Float fork weighs about 26lbs SCARY fast in tight singletrack!
    026.jpg

Turner 5 Spot TNT with Hope hubs and WTB Laserdisc Trail rims built by my local shop, I love the Hope free hub its very loud and quick. XT/XTR drivetrain Fox RP23 shock and Fox Talas RLC fork. This is a very good all mountain / trail bike.
    001-2.jpg

One more of the Turner after a ride today.
    003-2.jpg

Re: any mountain bikers out there

not a mountain biker, but i spent hours watching footage from the 2011 bearclaw invitational.

that course is insane!

Where did you see this?

Anyone else got any pics of their bikes or like to ride?

Im an avid rider. Was a bike shop mechanic for 11 years.. Ill post pics up when I get back from drill this afternoon.

bear claw invitational

NBC or CBS had a special on the bear claw invitational and a surfing competition in tahiti.

i was blown away by the bear claw invitational and started looking up videos on the internet.

i guess it's technically "slopestyle" but it's still fun to watch.

Used to bike everyday 10 years ago. Wow, been that long. Gary Fisher hard tail. Rode on the rims in Billings MT mostly. Took it up in the Bear Tooth/Absorke Mountains a few times. Lots of fun. I miss doing it. Still got the bike, just never get the time to ride it.

Mine.

2011 Specialized Pitch Pro. (All Mountain)

Specialized-Pitch-Pro.jpg

I was out late last night on a night ride with my local shop...what a blast!! If you dont ride at night you have to try it, it reminds me of Le Mans racing when your ripping through tight single track and its black and all you have is a small visual of whats next. If anyone is in Maine and wants to ride or start give me a shout.

I have one of these:

xc-604-08.jpg

Put a Fox RP-23 on the rear and Marzocchi 44LR in front. Different tires GEAX Sturdies and different seat & handlebars. It is a monster truck.

Shank,

Nice ride, its very close frame design as my Turner. How do you like the Sturdys? I am running the WTB Exiwolf and they are slicker than owl shit on wet roots! I have been looking at the Geax Datura or the Gatco just never ran that brand. Im also thinking about the Continental Mountain Kings. I have ridden alot of Maxxis in the past.

Yo Remsen, is that pic from cliff side of Wilder?

Been riding MTB since the late 80's and owned more bikes that I care to remember.

Gone the entire spectrum from rigid SS to full out DH rigs.

Now....KISS....old skool rides...titanium and steel...

BTW, nice rides there fellas...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verrocchio100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yo Remsen, is that pic from cliff side of Wilder?

Been riding MTB since the late 80's and owned more bikes that I care to remember.

Gone the entire spectrum from rigid SS to full out DH rigs.

Now....KISS....old skool rides...titanium and steel...

BTW, nice rides there fellas... </div></div>

It's from right around Gualala (at Sea Ranch).

Wow! Liking the Santa Cruz! So you in to DH, Remsen? My buddy is hardcore into DH. He is running a Specialized Demo 8. That bike is a beast and is tough as nails. I watched a video of him the other day flat landing a 15 foot drop; the bike was perfectly fine! I used to ride urban/DJ (never got into DH, too expensive), but I permanently damaged my hamstring, so no more of that stuff for me for a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shank,

Nice ride, its very close frame design as my Turner. How do you like the Sturdys? I am running the WTB Exiwolf and they are slicker than owl shit on wet roots! I have been looking at the Geax Datura or the Gatco just never ran that brand. Im also thinking about the Continental Mountain Kings. I have ridden alot of Maxxis in the past. </div></div>

The Sturdies have the largest profile. Bigger than the Rollers. They barely clear my swing arm due to the high profile. My rear swing arm is the Specialized design. They also barely clear my front fork brace. I love the tire. No pinch flats on drop-offs or jumps and very stable on wet roots, rocks, etc. I have had to "slow my roll" I used to hurt myself bad and often before I did. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fernandez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! Liking the Santa Cruz! So you in to DH, Remsen? My buddy is hardcore into DH. He is running a Specialized Demo 8. That bike is a beast and is tough as nails. I watched a video of him the other day flat landing a 15 foot drop; the bike was perfectly fine! I used to ride urban/DJ (never got into DH, too expensive), but I permanently damaged my hamstring, so no more of that stuff for me for a long time. </div></div>

I am more of a trail rider...i definitely don't do drops on purpose. I live in an area that has a lot of elevation, so I am a big fan of bombing down trails (and climbing them), but I can't imagine ever trying to do something like a 15 foot drop. That's nuts!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup. I'm more old school. Still riding a hardtail. Been doing so since about 1990. </div></div>

Awsome, I first got serious about mountain biking in 1991, the sport has come a long way sence then. I have been fighting off the urge to build a SS or a 1x9 Moots hard tail for some time. I figure that will be my "Im NOT getting old bike".

JP, that is a very nice ride. I like the green built in it. What wheel set are you running?

Mute, the Truth is a very nice bike it will eat a tight single track like nobodys busness! I have been riding the Turner 5 spot(5.5" bike) for a bit now and Im not going back, but Im not racing any more eighter. I feel I can climb as well and decend much faster, Im just a bit slower in the switch backs with the longer wheel base and slacker head angle. When I ride with a good rider on a hard tail or a full suspension XC race bike I lag a bit on the climbs but I can kick it out in the woods and pass them on the way back down, and to me thats fun!

Nice rides to all who have posted, keep them coming!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should move into the 21st and get a FS bike. </div></div>

I rode FS for 12 years. Just sold in June a 2011 29er FS that was pretty trick. Now back on a hardtail, a 29er. You can keep full suspension for trail riding IMO. The GF went from a very nice custom 3" XC 26er to a hardtail 29er and her speed literally doubled.

Here she is on her Niner EMD traversing a snowfield while doing the Monarch Crest trail. Read up on that one. 36 mile ride. Neither of us missed FS on a 6 hour epic, one we had both done before on 26er FSs.

saraniner1.jpg

We also went SRAM 2x10 on the whole family's MTBs this year. LOVE IT. The FS 29er I sold was 2011 Shimano 3x10. Don't miss the rear boinger or the 3rd chainring.

Here is my 2011 Giant custom build using their XTC 29er frame. I build them as "epic ride" bikes, meaning they'll take a week of 5-6 hour per day rides over the toughest XC trails in the Rockies with nothing more than chain lube. No super light wheels, carbon bars, skinny thin tires, etc. The 2.2-2.4 inch tubeless 29er tires make a huge difference in the way the bike performs.

giant29.jpg

The kid got a new action video camera, so I shot some footage on a local park ride loop so I could play with the camera and editing software. Nothing major on this ride - just a good fitness loop.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DR1826?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/EBBvHOwoVzE

Here's the guy that built our bikes showing what a 29er hardtail can do in the mountains:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kyle10bike#p/u/81/HmgtSUtokp0

Nice bike,and good job on the video. Kyle can rip. I like the area where you ride looks like there is a lot of speed to be had out there. Its a lot different than here on the east coast, especially Maine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..looks like there is a lot of speed to be had out there. Its a lot different than here on the east coast, especially Maine. </div></div>

Well the fallacy to that is most don't shoot video and post it of the grinding climbs. We basically have no flat out here - you are either going up or down. The speed differential means you spend 80% of your time climbing and 20% descending, hence the reason a good climbing bike is so important unless you shuttle a lot.

There are lots of people that shuttle out here. We're after the cardio, so don't ever shuttle (except for Monarch Crest where we don't want to grind out a climb on a major highway to get to the starting point). Unless you go pick out deliberately rocky and steep trails and shuttle, anything beyond a 4 inch CC bike out here is wasted - and the same could be said for other parts of the country, though people certainly do gravitate to the long travel heavy bikes.

Used to ride alot when I was in the Indian Ocean(jungle) and just got back into it this June. Had a Trek hard tail since '06 but had to get a serious bike this year. Ended up with a Transition TR450.
    TR450V1_1.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

On the first ride I ripped the derailer off so it is now a single speed and I had to crank the compression up on the rear suspension to keep a chain on it. It is super plush with almost 9" of travel up front. The hydraulic discs will stop a car.

This is a vid of my brother and I riding Teton Village last week(lifts were closed, damnit).
    http://youtu.be/F8Fp7I_Jl44

If someone knows how to edit VLC media videos I have a vid of "catalyst" up above Lander, WY that I need to chop down to 15min or less soz I can youtube it. PM me if you know how & want to help out.

I would really love to get into gravity...

Until then I'm stuck with XC
    grin.gif
    Can't complain too much, 29er Hard-Tails do very well in most trails and is much more fun than road biking was.

Dylan - I ride the 100 Trail when in town over by you. I've heard it called North Mountain but can't find any references calling it that. Maybe we can get together next time I'm in town.

Leo,

I think this is the one you're referring to:
    http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/phoenix/trail-100-phoenix-mountains-preserve/

Although I haven't ridden that trail before (or even heard about it to be completely honest) I'll have to check it out! The only places we have been so far in the couple years we have been riding are McDowell Mountain Bike Park, and Rio Salado Recreation Park. We go to Rio when time is an issue and we need to get through a quick ride. It's a boring short trail for the most part now that they have smoothed it all out for some reason. And it is usually with as many hikers as bikers. I don't like it there... I don't even know what the trails are named
    grin.gif

So whenever we have time, we'll go to McDowell Mountain and ride their "Sport Loop" which I am in love with ever since we started biking. I like the "Long Loop" on days where I have the energy for the whole thing. I've only tried the "Technical Loop" once so far and can't say I was impressed with it but lately I have had the urge to give it another try, maybe this weekend when I am fully recovered from this sinus infection. Other than those three loops which are located at the main area, there's also a trail called Pemberton which is 15 miles IIRC and is a good ride, but not the best in terms of fun. I honestly would love to ride it right now though because I miss riding so much! LOL Being sick sucks!

And of course there's the South Mountain trails that everybody local talks about. I haven't ridden there yet, but it's on the to-do list along with several other things. I'll get around to it all eventually...

I would love to meet up with you for some riding next time you're down here in AZ. Just drop me a PM or e-mail and we'll set a ride up!

Regards,
    Dylan

Just picked up a Light & Motion Urban 300 and used it for over 2 hours last night. I realy liked it, it was one of the brightest lights out there. Its self contained and charges w/a USB. For the $ its very hard to beat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should move into the 21st and get a FS bike. </div></div>

I rode FS for 12 years. Just sold in June a 2011 29er FS that was pretty trick. Now back on a hardtail, a 29er. You can keep full suspension for trail riding IMO. The GF went from a very nice custom 3" XC 26er to a hardtail 29er and her speed literally doubled.

Here she is on her Niner EMD traversing a snowfield while doing the Monarch Crest trail. Read up on that one. 36 mile ride. Neither of us missed FS on a 6 hour epic, one we had both done before on 26er FSs.

saraniner1.jpg

We also went SRAM 2x10 on the whole family's MTBs this year. LOVE IT. The FS 29er I sold was 2011 Shimano 3x10. Don't miss the rear boinger or the 3rd chainring.

Here is my 2011 Giant custom build using their XTC 29er frame. I build them as "epic ride" bikes, meaning they'll take a week of 5-6 hour per day rides over the toughest XC trails in the Rockies with nothing more than chain lube. No super light wheels, carbon bars, skinny thin tires, etc. The 2.2-2.4 inch tubeless 29er tires make a huge difference in the way the bike performs.

giant29.jpg

The kid got a new action video camera, so I shot some footage on a local park ride loop so I could play with the camera and editing software. Nothing major on this ride - just a good fitness loop.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DR1826?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/EBBvHOwoVzE

Here's the guy that built our bikes showing what a 29er hardtail can do in the mountains:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kyle10bike#p/u/81/HmgtSUtokp0

</div></div>

+ 1 on the 29er's. Especially if you're a bit on the tall side, they're a revelation. Test rode one earlier this year on some local trails and immediately dropped my beloved Ellsworth Isis for a RIP 9. Great traction, climbs like hell... it's like discovering riding all over again. Only problem is my legs are sore as fuck all the time from riding all the time without any recovery...
    grin.gif

I love riding downhill mountain bikes. M current bike is an Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki with modifications, and it comes in a 43 lbs. If you want to try fitness, try pedaling something that heavy up a hill. Its not enjoyable at all.

Bump this up - Did 5 rides in a row starting Thursday and ending Monday. This was Monday's ride - a long dirt road ride over aptly named Aspen Ridge. You start on the Buena Vista side and end on the Salida side. Lunch for the group on the river.

normal_Aspen_Ridge_Annual_ride_3_OCt_2011089.JPG

normal_Aspen_Ridge_Annual_ride_3_OCt_2011106.JPG

We did this ride the day prior. Not me riding or filming; the guy that builds our bikes is the videographer. He is one fast dude. Note that to access this trail it is part of a 28 mile trail starting at the top of Monarch Pass and ending up in Poncha Springs.

http://youtu.be/Rr2iwRxGPJI

_9H, glad to see more pics. That is a beautiful place to ride, I have been out there hunting and was thinking of riding the whole time! I love mountain biking almost as much as shooting, lets keep this thread kicking!

Dudes,

I am thinking about buying a Salsa ElMariachi (21", 29er). It is last years model, NIB ($1600ish). Is this a bike yall would recommend? This would be my first serious mountain bike. I want to ride mild cross country type trail rides.

All input is welcome!
    -Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bump this up - Did 5 rides in a row starting Thursday and ending Monday. This was Monday's ride - a long dirt road ride over aptly named Aspen Ridge. You start on the Buena Vista side and end on the Salida side. Lunch for the group on the river.

normal_Aspen_Ridge_Annual_ride_3_OCt_2011089.JPG

normal_Aspen_Ridge_Annual_ride_3_OCt_2011106.JPG

We did this ride the day prior. Not me riding or filming; the guy that builds our bikes is the videographer. He is one fast dude. Note that to access this trail it is part of a 28 mile trail starting at the top of Monarch Pass and ending up in Poncha Springs.

http://youtu.be/Rr2iwRxGPJI

</div></div>

9_H, a friend of mine, just got a specialized all carbon fiber and titanium s-works 29" er one speed.. I swear it weighs like 17 lbs? maybe? Its so light and flexy Id be scared to ride it.. Only problem hes had was breaking a chain doing a hard climb.

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dudes,

I am thinking about buying a Salsa ElMariachi (21", 29er). It is last years model, NIB ($1600ish). Is this a bike yall would recommend? This would be my first serious mountain bike. I want to ride mild cross country type trail rides.

All input is welcome!
    -Chris </div></div>

What do you mean by last year's model - 2010 or 2011?

The 2012 web site model shows Stan's ZTR Arch wheels on it. As long as the one you are getting still has them, a Reba fork, And a SRAM 2x10 X7/X9 mix group on it, I'd say go for it. It will be a great bike for that amount of coin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    What do you mean by last year's model - 2010 or 2011?

The 2012 web site model shows Stan's ZTR Arch wheels on it. As long as the one you are getting still has them, a Reba fork, And a SRAM 2x10 X7/X9 mix group on it, I'd say go for it. It will be a great bike for that amount of coin. </div></div>

I am believe it is a 2011 model. Can you tell by the picture? One of the things the guy at the bike shop mentioned is that it had tubeless tires. Is that a good thing? What happens when I pick up a sticker / goat head?
    SLA0009-BL.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What happens when I pick up a sticker / goat head? </div></div>

No shortage of info on the web about the benefits of tubeless. Been running them for 15 months now, including through 2 goat head seasons, without a single flat (other than a cut sidewall from a flat rock that would have taken out a tubed tire as well).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_BsT8D9JYY

Pic shows the Stan's ZTR rims on the Salsa - that just saved you $350 for a new wheelset.

Note in your research - it is important to understand that the original Stan's system was designed to do tubeless conversions of non-tubeless wheels and tires. The bike you are looking at comes with tubeless-specific rims and tires. While yes both can take tubes, the tire/rim design makes running tubeless much easier than depicted in the video below. Basically, just put 'em on, put in the sealant, roll the second bead all the way over, spin it to distribute the sealant, and away you go.

The dealer will have done this before you got the bike; you just need to put 2 oz. of sealant in every 4 months or so to maintain the flatproofing. You put the sealant in via the valve stem. No need to remove the tire. I carry a little 3 oz bottle with me in case I let the too much time go by and I get a flat that won't seal. Squirt the stuff in, spin it around, re-inflate, and off you go. The beads remain sealed even if you let the tire get a little dry to the point where it does not want to seal a puncture.

The smart thing to do is carry a spare 29er tube with you. If you can't take care of the flat with a re-seal, like a large cut, you can take the tubeless stem out, put the tube in, then something between the tube and the tire to bridge the cut. A dollar bill works fine for many cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mA4nea1UT0w

The tubeless wheels/tires completes the experience of the modern 29er bike IMO. You have less rolling mass, can run lower pressures without pinch flat danger, can run some nice light but large air volume tires (2.2 to 2.4 out here is good), all things contributing to a better ride.

Good advice _9H, I run both tubeless and also tubed tires. I like being able to air down and not worry about pinch flats, but the "old school" in me still likes tubes and a lot of air pressure when the conditions can support them. If you are going tubeless run stans in them and forget about flats (for the most part).

See the handle, I didn't get it from the Bushnell parts. Started using the handle about 16 or 17 yrs ago when I first got online. Back then I was racing as often as I could, riding all the time and couldn't thing of anything else to call meself.

These day's I'm older and more likely to be out on my old Colnago Master with the Record groupo and Brooks saddle, but I do still ride.

Did a nice tour in Michigan last year called Michigander. 270+ miles in 6 days. Lots of road and trails and alittle bit of single track.
    I ride a 6 year old ridgid Trek 4100 w/ a few comfort upgrades, nothing special. But I like it. Big gears for on road, does good enough for a 40 year old on trails. I can go fast enough to get hurt :)

Who rides singletrack clipless? I run with pedals that are platform on one side, clipless on the other. I find my self in and out of them constantly on trails, depending on the terrain. Last weekend I tried regular shoes, caught the pedal on a stump and got thrown forward hitting my shin on the forks. F*** that hurt. Bloodied but no break. I can't decide if I like them off road or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Who rides singletrack clipless? </div></div>

Just about everyone. Properly adjusted pedals make this a non-issue. These two guys are running clipless on one of the toughest continuous XC-type trails I've ever ridden. We rode this the day after this was filmed. You can watch and hear them clip in at the start of the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2iwRxGPJI&feature=channel_video_title

Thank 9H. That is a nice video. Looks like a great trail.
    Our local track isn't quite that open (fast). More obsticle course-ish, dead falls, switchbacks, ravines, 7+ miles of trails squished into a few acres of untillable ravine and woods. I'm pretty new at this singletrack thing but I am having a blast.

yea we got those too halfnutz. Sometimes when learning new techniques for more difficult obstacles we'll screw flat pedals on, but once the technique is mastered the clipless go back on.