• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Any mushroom experts out there?

KEbravo4

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 7, 2020
can anyone id these?

20200809_163911.jpg
20200809_163905.jpg

Just remember this true rule when it comes to mushrooms:

"All mushrooms are edible...... some only 'once'"

That being said, there are a few Mushroomologists on the site here, but one has been banned for a bit. Have patience, someone will come refute what I said.

You would need to do a spore print to positively identify, thats a mycologist’s game. Rule of thumb, don’t eat it unless you got it at a grocery store.

Google lens gets these things right a surprising amount of the time, but I wouldn't trust it for something I was planning on ingesting :)

Yeah problem with fungus is so many look identical until you spore print, one is good to go for your salad the other destroys your liver.

Reactions: CaptArab
that is not one of the 10 or so mushrooms i collect for eating. but it looks familiar...

i remembered the name i was thinking about, i think it is a parasol mushroom

I’ve always been told to stay away from any mushrooms growing on a lawn or growing near row crops

Thanks everyone. For the record I do not plan on consuming...just saw them in the neighborhood and was curious...i figured someone on here would know.

Perhaps a helpful anecdote, there are ways to figure out if they are poisonous or not in a survival situation, but I won't go into it because it's generally a pretty stupid idea to waste your time unless you're chained to a goddamn tree and all you have is a bunch of mushrooms in reach. You can find information about it in survival books and maybe online. Even the most poisonous of them won't hurt you unless you ingest them or rub them on your tongue or gums like a coke head, so identification handling for examination and spore printing is completely safe.

Perhaps a helpful anecdote, there are ways to figure out if they are poisonous or not in a survival situation, but I won't go into it because it's generally a pretty stupid idea to waste your time unless you're chained to a goddamn tree and all you have is a bunch of mushrooms in reach. You can find information about it in survival books and maybe online. Even the most poisonous of them won't hurt you unless you ingest them or rub them on your tongue or gums like a coke head, so identification handling for examination and spore printing is completely safe.

In a survival situation, the general consensus used to be that mushrooms have so little nutritional value, that it wasn't worth considering them at all due to the risk of a mixup.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Im not good at id’ing them but if you pinch/bruise the stem and it turns blue they contain psilocybin.
Maybe you could Id it by the spore print? If you cut the top off (the cap) and place it on a white piece of paper and put a glass over it within a few days it will drop its spores and leave a distinct print and you may be able to use that to further identify it