• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any need to lapp 2 piece Nightforce steel rings?

dan25

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
I am having a custom gun built and want to go with a 2 piece Nightforec Steel base and rings to make loading the gun easier. Nightforce is saying not to lapp the rings. What if the base mounts are not square? Not really sure who or what to believe anymore. This will be on a 300 win mag and want to be able to shoot to 800 yards. Someone with more knowledge then me want to pipe in. What should I do? I have heard problems with lapping.

Re: Any need to lapp 2 piece Nightforce steel rings?

Buying quality rings (like Nightforce) generally means you do not need to lap them.

800 yards? That 300 WM is barely getting started at that range!

I dont see how 2 pc bases will make it easier to load, I have no issues with this 1 pc TPS 20MOA base. Get the 1 pc. Oh, and I bet TPS is much cheaper than Nightforce and as high if not better quality.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

You don't think a 2 piece base will making loading the gun easier? I agree that the one piece would take care of any alignment issues, but was wondering about obstructing loading. Thanks.

Dan, I 've been thru this and for me the two piece bases are easier to load. I have MK IV bases on a 223 5r and am ordering 20moa N.F. bases for a 8 twist 223.
This is in 223.
Your 300mag might benefit from a one piece base with a recoil lug built in.

The NF unimount I put my NXS in didn't require lapping, however the NF rings I put my Viper on in my new gun required lapping. Although I'm a bit mixed on lapping as you generally lap the rings and not the scope tube. Are we certain that the scope tube is always more uniform than the rings?

I would definitely lap 2 piece bases as some of the NF tolerances are not what they should be. Just my .002.

Regards, Paul