• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any *new* modern powders for .308?

Lonely Raven

Just an IT Guy
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
Denver Area
First off, thanks to all who helped me pick out the Remington 700 5R as a birthday present to myself. It is truly a fantastic rifle and easily outshoots me. Which brings me to my question.

I have about 200 rounds of 168gr FGMM. Plus I've received 500 pieces of brass from a friend that no longer owns a .308 and doesn't reload. So I'm looking to develop a load for my rifle to practice with and get some real trigger time on.

I'm looking at a 1000 box of Nosler 155gr Competition .308, BR2 primers, but still looking for a powder (all to be done on a Rockchucker).

Perusing the reloading data here, seems most everyone uses Varget, though we all know it doesn't drop well. Is there a modern, maybe spherical powder, that is as good as Varget for precision shooting? Or is it just the defacto "best" for this application?

With this being an election year, I don't want to be caught out of powder with empty shelves at my favorite online stores. So I figure I'll buy an 8# of something now...but I was hoping for something other than Varget.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Any *new* modern powders for .308?

Most run Varget because they would rather trickle charge than mess with performance swings due to temperature swings.

I use...

Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most run Varget because they would rather trickle charge than mess with performance swings due to temperature swings.

I use...

Varget. </div></div>

That's what I figured the key point was. If there is nothing else, then that's what I'd stick with myself (since I'll drop then trickle or get the RCBS Powder Measure combo).

I just figured I'd ask to see if anything else is close. TAC for example, or that CFE223.

For 155 grain bullets try IMR 8208XBR. It's newer than Varget, and also temperature stable. I recently switched to it for a 16.5" 308 semi auto and got more velocity out of the slightly faster 8208 vs Varget with the 155 AMAX. For 168 and up bullets I'd stick with Varget, but for lighter you really should try 8208, it meters MUCH better.

CFE223 gives nice velocities. I use it in my 5r. I belive in the coming months we will hear about temerature sensitivity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 155 grain bullets try IMR 8208XBR. It's newer than Varget, and also temperature stable. I recently switched to it for a 16.5" 308 semi auto and got more velocity out of the slightly faster 8208 vs Varget with the 155 AMAX. For 168 and up bullets I'd stick with Varget, but for lighter you really should try 8208, it meters MUCH better.

</div></div>

I happen to have 2# of this I picked up for shits and grins...probably for .223 since I didn't own a .308 when it came out. I'll have to try it and see how she works!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caseyru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CFE223 gives nice velocities. I use it in my 5r. I belive in the coming months we will hear about temerature sensitivity.</div></div>

Yeah, it is still pretty new for me to ask opinions on that I guess. I got a buddy who got an 8# when they were in stock (for a few minutes), I'm betting he'd spot me a pound to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caseyru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CFE223 gives nice velocities. I use it in my 5r. I belive in the coming months we will hear about temerature sensitivity. </div></div>

It's a spherical powder....it will be temp sensitive. Guarantee it.

if u want to use varget get a lee perfect powder drop . i think they are like 20 bucks now and are very consistent with varget

2000MR smaller granuales than varget, temp stable, similar burn rate, I haven't done much with it yet but I believe its probably a good one.

I have a 40x that came with a test target with two groups in the two's loaded with IMR 3031. I get less than 0.2 with it using 748. Modern my ass.

I have to second what turtle sniper is saying. The Lee perfect powder drop does not cut the grains when you drop varget. We were both very surprised how well it worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2000MR smaller granuales than varget, temp stable, similar burn rate, I haven't done much with it yet but I believe its probably a good one. </div></div>

Temp Stable???. Have you shot in temps above 95* that you developed in cooler temps? I know someone who has and it's not what I'd consider temp stable piercing primers.

Nope sure haven't. Read that it was, guess I was misled. Only recently moved back to the South from AK, so until recently my only concern was that the loads developed at 60-80 still went bang with sufficient velocity at 30 below zero. I guess I have allot of loads to check out at high temps, damn.

In my limited .308 loading experience, I've been a Varget guy; I'd like to give R15 a try as well as IMR 4895.

I'm curious as to how a 155 grain bullet will work in your 5R; please let us know. The lightest I've run through mine is 168.

With respect to the election year - loading components fears; last time it seems to me that it was all consumer driven. That is to say (and flame on if you please) the manufacturers and especially the retailers just let the demand drive the bus...

I have had good luck with my 5R and 155 Scenars. Even with my beginner status I can easily hold to under 1 moa at 200 and I shot them at a 1000yd match and did very well with them. (using Varget powder by the way)

I've had great results with CFE 223. I don't know about the 155s, but 20" Savage 1in10 loves the 175 SMK's with 47.2 grains of powder, CCI BR2, and Nosler brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillK65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had good luck with my 5R and 155 Scenars. Even with my beginner status I can easily hold to under 1 moa at 200 and I shot them at a 1000yd match and did very well with them. (using Varget powder by the way) </div></div>

Thanks for the info BillK! I need to get some loaded up.

AR-Comp is a slightly faster formulation of RL-15 and reportedly more temperature stable: HERE

Kombayoch had tested AR-Comp: HERE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope sure haven't. Read that it was, guess I was misled. Only recently moved back to the South from AK, so until recently my only concern was that the loads developed at 60-80 still went bang with sufficient velocity at 30 below zero. I guess I have allot of loads to check out at high temps, damn. </div></div>

I've seen people shoot up to 90* just fine. The temp where things start to get ugly is around 92-94* and above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope sure haven't. Read that it was, guess I was misled. Only recently moved back to the South from AK, so until recently my only concern was that the loads developed at 60-80 still went bang with sufficient velocity at 30 below zero. I guess I have allot of loads to check out at high temps, damn. </div></div>

I've seen people shoot up to 90* just fine. The temp where things start to get ugly is around 92-94* and above. </div></div>

I know RL-17 gets scary above 92 but does the same hold true for 2000MR? I did see the one post about 115F piercing primers, is that the one you are referring to?

I recently tried CFE 223 in my GAP Crusader with 168gr SMK bullets. The velocities were higher than anything I've ever tried. But just watch out for pressures at the upper end. I started blowing out primers and getting soot rings around the primers before I got to the max loads.

The max for that load is 49.0gr per the Hodgdon website. I had my problems at 48.7gr. I tried two types of primers and the problems happened at the same point, 48.7gr. At 48.5gr, there were no pressure signs at all and I was getting 2886 fps consistently. I will say it was kicking the bejesus out of my old shoulder though.

My problems might be related to the GAP's tight chamber or to the fact that the Lapua brass is thicker than most others. In any event, be sure and work your way up with this powder.

Personally, I've always had the best luck in my .308 bolt guns with IMR 4064. I'm experimenting with Varget and it looks promising, but it has yet to match the 4064 in my guns.

Out of both my gasser (OBR) and Remmy 700, CFE223 is showing a lot of promise. My ES was less then 18 fps (meters very well).

I'm yet to find a wonder-powder that competes with Varget for 175ish bullets in 308. I've tried lots, and Varget is tops for every 308 I've loaded for.

...I just bought 32lb of it...which oughtta keep me till the end of next season.

I've just started playing around with my new rifle and I've seen some good groups with N140,..155 scenars, and 175 SMK. The problem around my area is that nobody consistently carries Vit powders.

I've also had good luck with N140 in my M1A with 168 SMKs.