• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Any NorCal long-range training (or Reno, or Palm Desert)?

rob.sfo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Contra Costa County, CA
Does anyone know of any long-range training opportunities in Northern California? I'd love to make it to a Mile High or Alaska class someday, but until I can make that happen I'd like to find something within driving distance (of the SF Bay Area).

If there's nothing in NorCal, I could make possibly something work in Reno or Palm Desert when I'm in those areas for other reasons.

I went to a PRS 1 course in Sacramento at the big complex outside of town.
Called Gray Ops, instructor is a retired cop/sniper. Was a good guy, but the course was very basic.
How much 1:1 attention can one instructor give to 10-12 guys? Not much it turns out.
More of an Intro to LRS.
2 full days.

I’ve read of some courses a couple hours No. of San Fran, like Uriah or something. Let me know if you find something, or we’ll have to drag Frank out here!

Last edited:
Reactions: rob.sfo
Are you looking for some long range training? Or just a place to practice?

There is BLM at Panoche and Tumey Hills.

There are monthly PRS matches in Avenal gun club (3hrs) down I-5. With a stage out to about 900. You can usually go the night before and camp and practice.

Thanks guys.

My #1 priority is to dope my rifle. I just finished working up a load, now I need data.

My #2 priority is training. I've never had proper long-range instruction.

Shooting matches falls behind those two. So far I've only looked into the LR practice and PRS matches at Sac Valley as those seem to be the closest.

I appreciate the tips, I'll update if I find anything.

There is a thread buried in here with a few other places in CA that provide actual training classes. One was near LA and other was north of Sac.

Reactions: rob.sfo
I would highly suggest Max Ordinate Academy in Apple valley, it's a bit of a drive but the tuition includes lodging. And the cabin is pretty sweet.

The PR1 will let you do the two things you suggested. Learn fundamentals, ballistic theory, scope theory, setup your ballistic calculator, and shoot on a range that goes out to 1700 yards and practice wind.

I would highly suggest Max Ordinate Academy in Apple valley, it's a bit of a drive but the tuition includes lodging. And the cabin is pretty sweet.

The PR1 will let you do the two things you suggested. Learn fundamentals, ballistic theory, scope theory, setup your ballistic calculator, and shoot on a range that goes out to 1700 yards and practice wind.
Awesome. I found that one, seemed a bit far but it might be the best option.

Awesome. I found that one, seemed a bit far but it might be the best option.

I took the gas gun class (urban precision) and Tyler and Co was fantastic. Planning to go back with a bolt gun to do PR1 and the PR series over the next year.