• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any of you rimfire guys using a Labradar?

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
If so, Do you need the air gun trigger adapter? I'm considering investing in this unit but I don't know if I'll need that adapter. I MOSTLY only shoot rimfire and I prefer it to be suppressed when I do.

I tried a labradar to see if it would work. and it is a no go unless you add the trigger adapter. Even put on the most sensitive mode. and still no go. hope this helps, STan

I have tested the magneto vs labradar against each other on the same shot and they are within 3 fps. Althou the mag did nove the bullet towards the magnet.Stan

Reactions: SourMash
Yes- I use it with rimfires & centerfires (suppressed and non-suppressed). I lay the microphone under the barrel- Works awesome. I have been very happy with my Labradar system.

Reactions: ZG47A and SourMash
There is a guy on Facebook that sells inertia triggers. They work great, better than the microphones.

I use my Labradar often with 22lr. I initially had issues with not picking up many shots but I now have it sorted out. I have both the air gun external mic and the recoil trigger neither of which I could get to work well. I ended up finding that the position of the unit vs muzzle was the missing link. I put it just off the side of the bullet path (like really close) and forward of the muzzle by a few inches. Works great as long as no one else is shooting around me.

I use my Labradar often with 22lr. I initially had issues with not picking up many shots but I now have it sorted out. I have both the air gun external mic and the recoil trigger neither of which I could get to work well. I ended up finding that the position of the unit vs muzzle was the missing link. I put it just off the side of the bullet path (like really close) and forward of the muzzle by a few inches. Works great as long as no one else is shooting around me.

By doing this does it pick up most of the shots?

By doing this does it pick up most of the shots?
Yes, 90% - 95% of them. I really haven’t spent the time to get the recoil trigger or the external microphone sorted out. Maybe I can have it be a bit more reliable with one of them. But honestly for my needs only dropping a few shots out of a 15-20 round string is all I need.

Reactions: Bradu
I use the LabRadar for the .22LR and even my airguns. I've used it with the microphone and the trigger made by Greg Piet.

Go to this discussion for the trigger. It's a great accessory for the LabRadar.

Just ordered me one. I was having issues I thought was me. I have had my radar 2 years and only used it a few times.

I have the Microphone and the recoil trigger, I much prefer the recoil trigger. I now have hook and loop dots on the front of all my stocks, works great! I use the recoil trigger on everything I shoot, I don't even run the LR bareback any more, tin roof no tin roof, 338 w/ muzzlebreak down the firing line, nada. I do have to get it adjusted right.
FWIW I have had guys running LR alongside me that had no problems running bare that tried to adjust my unit with no luck. It's kinda hit and miss with them. Mine has been back to LR twice, SOS.

My LR works fine with .22 using the external microphone, and handgun mode at sensitivity level 1. I do find I have to put the microphone very close to the muzzle. This configuration guarantees pickup of nearby shots from centerfire rifles, which is annoying, but I'm retired and shoot during the week when I have the line to myself or nearly so. Maybe one day I'll pick up one of Greg Piet's inertia triggers, but right now I'm good to go as is.

Also be aware that LabRadars are often gold-plated witches on indoor / cluttered ranges. I find using the low-power setting helps if I'm on a short, cluttered range (have never tried it on the one indoor range to which I have access).

You don't need the external mic or recoil trigger etc with the lab radar to pick up every shot with a .22lr even suppressed. Place the lab radar about 6" in front of the muzzle and a few inches to the side. Make sure to have the velocity set to pistol instead of rifle since .22 velocities are low. This position of the lab radar works for every type of gun I've ever tried up to 50 BMG. With the larger calibers I put it a bit further in front of the muzzle to make sure it doesn't catch any muzzle blast but maybe 12" at most.

You don't need the external mic or recoil trigger etc with the lab radar to pick up every shot with a .22lr even suppressed. Place the lab radar about 6" in front of the muzzle and a few inches to the side. Make sure to have the velocity set to pistol instead of rifle since .22 velocities are low. This position of the lab radar works for every type of gun I've ever tried up to 50 BMG. With the larger calibers I put it a bit further in front of the muzzle to make sure it doesn't catch any muzzle blast but maybe 12" at most.

That's not the problem. If other shooters are at the range, it sometimes picks up the sound of other gunfire and the device is triggered.

Then when it doesn't see a bullet come out of your rifle, you will get an error message or false reading.

That's why I got the trigger.

That's not the problem. If other shooters are at the range, it sometimes picks up the sound of other gunfire and the device is triggered.

Then when it doesn't see a bullet come out of your rifle, you will get an error message or false reading.

That's why I got the trigger.
Yes makes perfect sense and I agree that can be an issue in that scenario. The trigger is a great solution for that instance.