• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any of you using steel Sinclair expander mandrels?

Yondering

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2017
Skagit Valley, WA
I know the carbide expander mandrels have become more popular lately, but I'm wondering if many of you still use the steel versions and if there's much difference other than the effort at the press handle? I've been reading comments that a lot of guys are still lubing necks when using the carbide mandrels, what say y'all?

Also, related question - are you using the expander mandrels (.001" under bullet size) or the neck turning mandrels (.002" under), and for bolt or semi-auto?

Been using the steel expander ones for a while. I think the tung carbide are probably worth the money as the brass starts galling to the mandrel pretty quick and I have to take the mandrel out and polish it off.

Been using the steel expander ones for a while. I think the tung carbide are probably worth the money as the brass starts galling to the mandrel pretty quick and I have to take the mandrel out and polish it off.
I've heard this same thing. I haven't sized many cases, maybe 50 so I haven't seen any galling yet,

I'm using graphite right now, but I'm thinking of switching to the Hornady wax instead.

I tumble and anneal after every firing, and saw the same galling noted above and made the switch to carbide turning mandrels, which are .002 under. And still use Redding dry neck lube to give a small amount of ‘release’ to bullets that have had carbon burned off in annealing process. My solid working loads in 223, 6.5 Grendel/Creedmoor are low runout and SD’s under 10. Process seems to work for my end intended results.

I use the standard stainless Sinclair mandrels both turning and expanding. Lubing the case necks is mandatory.
Never had any galling issues using lanolin or the rcbs lube.

I'm using the steel neck turning mandrel to get .002" neck tension and imperial dry neck lube with no galling issues yet thankfully. Those carbide mandrels are expensive little shits

Standard stainless steel Sinclair mandrels here also. .002 under. Lube necks also. No galling here either.

Ive been using the steel since forever. I polish them before their first use. Lube is mandatory imo, and galling has never been an issue. Whether you use the turning or expander mandrel is a personal choice. There’s always some springback, and some cases are more springy than orhers.

Reactions: Steel head
I am using the wilson mandrels, I haven't used them very much yet so we will see I guess..

Been using 21st Century SS for 3 years. I have done in excess of 8K pieces of brass (6BRA, 284, 22BR) without any problems in that time period. I do not use any lube in the necks or on the mandrel, other than whatever is in there from the One-Shot lube sprayed on for sizing the case. The brass goes into a tumbler full of rice after this for cleanup.
IMG_1212[2334].jpg

• Love
Reactions: CK1.0 and Baron23
I've been using the TiN version of their turning mandrel (.002" under) for a while... this topic prompted me to take mine out and look at it for the first time and a long time.

The first pic is straight from being disassembled: more gunk than I expected, but it hasn't been cleaned or looked at in at least 1200rds.

The second pic is after a quick squirt of One Shot gun cleaner/dry lube: don't see anything too alarming and it's got somewhere near 2000rds on it.

tempImage2jNOs1.png
tempImageHi2ja5.png

I think I'll check on it more often than every ~1200rds from now on, and if it starts to show anything concerning wear-wise, I'll get one of the carbide versions. (Think I probably ought to give the rest of my dies a quick cleaning too soon.) ;-)

FWIW/FYI I use lanolin/alcohol spray-lube (Dillon/Frankford/Midsouth all seem about the same), I toss the clean brass in a plastic container and give 'em ~5 squirts and then swirl and tumble them around for a minute or so, then I let the alcohol evaporate for 5-10mins and get to it. Enough lube makes it in to enough of the necks and gets on the mandrel to where I never feel like I'm dragging the mandrel dry through the necks.

Since adding the mandrel to my routine, I don't think I've seen an SD number in the double digits.

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. It looks like the TiN coating works great in this application.

I picked up one of the plain SS neck expander mandrels and will give that a shot to see if it works as well for me as carbide. First thing will be to polish it real well in the lathe though.

Are most of you using the .002”-under “turning” mandrels for semi-autos (AR platforms for me) or are the .001” expanders working out ok? My normal sizing processes shoot for .002” neck tension so I was hoping the .001” mandrel would hit that with some brass spring back.

Yondering,
Maybe not good practice but I have used a sizing mandrel with only .001 neck tension on my GAP .308 AR10 using Winchester brass, 155 grain Scenars or Bergers, magazine fed, loaded .010-.030 off the lands, without any cycling or pressure issues. The rifle will shoot every bit as accurate or better as the bolt actions in long range competitions. I have never had a round come apart when extracting a loaded round out of the chamber. I am sure that the Winchester brass being harder than most other brass is a possible factor. I have not shot any other brands of brass other than Winchester through my GAP AR10.

Ive been using the steel since forever. I polish them before their first use. Lube is mandatory imo, and galling has never been an issue. Whether you use the turning or expander mandrel is a personal choice. There’s always some springback, and some cases are more springy than orhers.
Same.