• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any one else gettin their stick launcher ready?

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
Well picked up a new bow back in the spring ( Pearson TX4) and just got it out the other night to try some broadheads.
Tried the classic Muzzy 100gr's that I have been using as well as the "Rage" 3 blade that my buddy's all hyped about.
So tried 2 shots 30yards, rain was just starting. (Had a gallon jug as target, shooting for center of label.) Heard both arrows hit and could faintly see the one. Keep in mind i was shooting the easton fmj's that i got for 3d. They are very low vis buttttt oh well thought of that after was going for what i thought looked good at the time.
Anyways here's the results, i was quite suprised an a lil impressed. Never had this happen with two totally different style broadheads.
muzzyrage.jpg

Re: Any one else gettin their stick launcher ready?

They are flying right no doubt good shooting and tuning and that is some solid piece of mind, I love the Montec G5s some bitch about them being hard to sharpen but never a problem here. Not to knock the Rage as they have wakt a bunch of critters but I have helped on two occasions track and not find shoulder hit bucks where the Rage was less than lethal. One by my good buddy three d extrodinare and Bowtech Rep. We had been hunting that buck, a 140ish public land bruiser for the low country, for two months, that was last year, who knows if he made it. We did several tests with the two and three blade Rages he had on both hog and deer scapulas the results were stupifying, the blades act as a stop against heavy ribs and scapula. He threw all his away, for turkeys maybe and when you know your gonna hit the double lung every time and the deer ain't gonna move, but the agony we both felt over that and seeing there performance on real tissue in real situations confirms me as a fixed blade on small diameter but heavy stick at 470 grns and 292 fps kind of guy. Never know when you might need to penetrate a car door.

Was out practicing with my Mathews DXT the other day. Shooting from 20 yards for 2 shots, then 30 for 2, 40 for 2 then working back to 20 again. First shot from the 30 yard line I heard a crack when the arrow hit the target, walked up and found the nock broken on one of my 20 yard arrows. Almost my first Robin Hood...almost! Went out later that night and shot a possum rummaging through the garbage cans at the end of my driveway. Said garbage cans just happen to be rangefinder verified 30 yards from my side porch LOL!

Schtick launcher...

Jeez, Guys; I thought we were being treated to a treatease on Atlatls.

That's what I thought, too, Greg, when I saw the title. I thought that was really going to be a cool thread. Oh, well...
laugh.gif

When you live and breathe for bow season, any phase resembling archery gets you fired up! My bow stays ready in the case year round. Nows when I normally start practicing behind the office during lunch or for a quick break. I can get out to easy 100+ yards, but shoot to 60 max. Make your first practice arrow the most important of the day. I'll shoot the first one at 40 or 50, so the closer shots will hopefully be easier.
I use the Rage 2 blade, and it is BBAADD!! I have some Nitro and Muzzy's for pigs and varmints that come in.

Bow jocks....defenently a different breed of cat...grin! Dont worry, I'm one too!!

GN, nice shooting..always good to see those broadheads fly srtaight!!

I have been at it for a couple of weeks myself practicing and tuning. I did some paper tuning the other day and fletched up a new dozen Victory arrows. I will have the Grim Reaper Razor Tip 85gr. expandables on the business end again this year. You really do watch them drop like they say and the confidence I have in this broadhead is huge. With any luck and if my scouting pays off I'll be on another buck like this one.

dscn0839w.jpg

By sambam45, shot with COOLPIX L11 at 2009-07-20
dscn0926.jpg

By sambam45, shot with COOLPIX L11 at 2009-03-16

scan0022-1.jpg

Here's one I took with the bow a few years back.

That is a very nice Muley! The taxidermists that I took mine to said a lot of the people that came into his shop said how much mine resembled a mule deer.

Strick, thanks for the info on the rage's, I'm not quite sold on'm two of my buddies love the 2 blade but I think I just haven't quite drank enough mechanical kool aid yet.
Greg, sorry for getting your hopes up.
Next to varmints and some long range shooting, the stick launcher's my favorite. Yes mine's a lot more than the traditional but it make the hunt a lot more interesting when ya have'm within spitting distance or a lil further.
Nice buck's guys.

SM223, That whitetail would put a few mule deer to shame!!

Did you score him?

Last years deer. Can't wait to see what this years brings!!!!
P1010066.jpg

My taxy and I came up with 141 5/8" Gross. He is a main frame 8 with 3 stickers one can't be seen because it extends out behind his right ear. His G2's were just shy of 14".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SM223, That whitetail would put a few mule deer to shame!!

Did you score him? </div></div>

I did the NYSDEC Bowhunter Education course, but never got around to getting the license, I was already budget maxxed out with rifles. Then I did a nasty fall on ice, breaking my left humerus up near the shoulder, and more importantly, pretty utterly and totally wrecking the shoulder joint. Unless I go with completely revamping to an LH stance, my bowhunting days are done.

But archery occupies a warm spot in my heart from my early days, when I was involved in some target archery with a Club in West (South?) Orange NJ (Essex Archers). Back then we use laminated glass/lemonwood longbows (60lb) for the 100yd stuff, and fiberglass recurve 35lb bows for the in-closer stuff.

The real fun was when we went after the clay birds with the 35lb bows and the big-fletched bird arrows.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the info on the rage's, I'm not quite sold on'm two of my buddies love the 2 blade but I think I just haven't quite drank enough mechanical kool aid yet. </div></div>
Ghogs,

I finally drank it. I won't use any other mechanical but this one. I've had so so results with other 2 and 3 blade fixed broadheads. I've had some break apart on bone. Others were great shots, but animal would run forever. I have yet to take an animal with the 2 blade Rage. I've seen several animals taken with them, and the damage and wound channel is crazy big for a broad head. I hope to report this season on it!

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make your first practice arrow the most important of the day. </div></div>
So true. I tend to know real quick whether my mind is focused or not. Hoyt shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make your first practice arrow the most important of the day. </div></div>
So true. I tend to know real quick whether my mind is focused or not. Hoyt shooter. </div></div>
Kinda like a "cold bore" shot
wink.gif
. Hoyt...no wonder ya need to focus...just kidding, two of my buds are big hoyt guys an we harass each other all the time. Although the one gets a lil mad when i call his dog 'mathews or pearson' instead of 'hoyt'.

Does anyone know where I placed my bow??? Haven't seen it since last year. Tizz the time of year that we act like Indians huh??? Only been to one 3D shoot so far this year, driving all over the US is time consuming. Last year I used those Easton FMJ. Nice arrow but turds I must say. Switched back to the good ole Gold Tips. I was a HUGE Mathews shooter but decided to move over to the Hoyt side of things. Being 6'8" with a wing spand of like 12', well Mathews don't make a boe that feels good to me no more. Me and the other "Meeeacks" where going to try and make the Triple Crown shoot this year and well we never got around to do so. O well back to long HOT days in the stand for yet another season! O... I agree, that is awesome seeing that the 2 different heads flu the same! Gotta love that "smack"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schtick launcher...

Jeez, Guys; I thought we were being treated to a treatease on Atlatls.

</div></div>

Classic.

SM, Bow Antelope opens here in 4 days!!!

Got out my Parker Phoenix 32 and been playing with it some.

Im testing the waters to see if my post-op shoulder can handle full draw for any real period of time.

Hell, even if Im only armed with a camera, I plan on being in the blind for archery season.

Shaggy, if ya can't draw her back bro bring the camera I'll come out and help ya get your meat!!! lol

Perish my meat from your thoughts...
laugh.gif

I would love to go out West someday and chase those speed goats. That one there is a dandy and traditional to boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another guy who does without all the technology
grin.gif

Nothing to fail but the string.....

19 yards with a stick and string
wink.gif

34601goat4.jpg

34601goat11.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got out my Parker Phoenix 32 and been playing with it some.

Im testing the waters to see if my post-op shoulder can handle full draw for any real period of time.

Hell, even if Im only armed with a camera, I plan on being in the blind for archery season. </div></div>

Try to locate a psyotherapist to get some strengthing excercises. They know all concerning rehab.