• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any one hunt with hornady A-tips?

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Im just curious if anyone on here tried the A-Tip bullets from hornady on game this past year? Seen a few results reading but seeing more about personal experiences with it. Every other target bullet is used so lets hear what happened.........

They work very well. Last year used 135s from a 260 on cow elk antelope and few deer. They perform very well.

They work very well. Last year used 135s from a 260 on cow elk antelope and few deer. They perform very well.
    They act like the eldm? Stay off bone and be good? I was thinking 230 or 250 a-tip from 300 win mag from 2700 to 2850 and shoot antelope deer and elk. Ive had great luck with softer bullets running slower and staying off of bone but these seem like a 1 bullet do all if they work with hunting

They act like the eldm? Stay off bone and be good? I was thinking 230 or 250 a-tip from 300 win mag from 2700 to 2850 and shoot antelope deer and elk. Ive had great luck with softer bullets running slower and staying off of bone but these seem like a 1 bullet do all if they work with hunting
    For the most part yes stay away from bone and they don't tear up too much. Hit bone and they destroy a lot in a hurry. Went through my cow elk at 650 with about a silver dollar sized exit didn't hit any bone. Antelope was a head shot at 460 it wasn't pretty. Deer where hit in the shoulders between 60 and 300 yards. It dropped them where they stood it destroyed the shoulders though.

Reactions: deersniper
    I didn't get much expansion on two heart shot Kansas whitetails, both big bodied deer. The doe ran 100 yards with no blood trail, only a few drops where she fell. Hit a rib on the way in, a rib and the upper leg bone on the way out. Not a very big hole in the heart. 2735 fps out of a 6.5 Creed 18" Bartlein. The doe was 165 yards, my buck was 340 yards. He went much farther with no blood either. Coyotes got him before I did.

First pic is entry on rib, second is entry on the heart, third is exit on heart, fourth is exit, last one is the doe. She was a big dry doe with no fawns. Had 2" of fat on her back and rump.
    20201212_085319.jpg
    20201212_084525.jpg
    20201212_084534.jpg
    20201212_084211.jpg
    20201212_082740.jpg

Reactions: diggler1833
    Here is a video of it used on plains game.

Hornady doesn't make much that doesn't work so I don't know why ATips wouldn't work for you.

Those were all head, neck, or spine shots. Just about any bullet would have the same results when you hit them there.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
    Those were all head, neck, or spine shots. Just about any bullet would have the same results when you hit them there.
    So bc you didn't actually watch the entire video I'll help you out. In the last 3rd of the video they showed a shot that was placed on the shoulder and also showed the external and internal views of what it did to the rib cage. Other than that, shot with an ATip is still an ATip. It's not a ballistic tipped bullet so it won't fishtail like an ELDX or a Terminal Ascent. Behaves similar to a MatchKing or any other match designed bullet, plenty of killshot pictures of those on the Hide.

Reactions: Keith E.
    So bc you didn't actually watch the entire video I'll help you out. In the last 3rd of the video they showed a shot that was placed on the shoulder and also showed the external and internal views of what it did to the rib cage. Other than that, shot with an ATip is still an ATip. It's not a ballistic tipped bullet so it won't fishtail like an ELDX or a Terminal Ascent. Behaves similar to a MatchKing or any other match designed bullet, plenty of killshot pictures of those on the Hide.
    I did watch the entire video and saw the internal damage that was up against the spine on the shot that you mentioned. I have seen a lot of kill pictures with the A-Tip and they must need heavier bone or more velocity than what I had on the two animals that I shot.

I have had great success with the 77gr SMK, 140 ELDM, and the 130 gr Norma Golden Target. I have settled on the 130 Norma as they do a lot of damage and have always given an exit at 6.5 Creedmoor velocities. The A-Tip is an amazingly accurate bullet, and I may try them againg out of a 6.5 saum or PRC. I have shot the 90 gr A-Tip out of my 22BR and am impressed with them, but the 75, 80, and 88gr ELDM do more damage at the velocities I shoot them at.

I didn't get much expansion on two heart shot Kansas whitetails, both big bodied deer. The doe ran 100 yards with no blood trail, only a few drops where she fell. Hit a rib on the way in, a rib and the upper leg bone on the way out. Not a very big hole in the heart. 2735 fps out of a 6.5 Creed 18" Bartlein. The doe was 165 yards, my buck was 340 yards. He went much farther with no blood either. Coyotes got him before I did.

First pic is entry on rib, second is entry on the heart, third is exit on heart, fourth is exit, last one is the doe. She was a big dry doe with no fawns. Had 2" of fat on her back and rump.View attachment 7638896View attachment 7638898View attachment 7638899View attachment 7638900View attachment 7638901
    This isn't the first bad experience I've seen.
    A few others have reported weak expansion on LR elk shots with good impact velocities.
    I did some expansion tests out to 700 yards with 230 atip, and a bunch just bent while others totally fraged like an eldm

The SMK was mentioned as being a good hunting bullet, haven't used them myself but I've heard from good sources that they are prone to "bananaing"
    At least the 230s are

Reactions: 232593 and 260284
    This isn't the first bad experience I've seen.
    A few others have reported weak expansion on LR elk shots with good impact velocities.
    I did some expansion tests out to 700 yards with 230 atip, and a bunch just bent while others totally fraged like an eldm

The SMK was mentioned as being a good hunting bullet, haven't used them myself but I've heard from good sources that they are prone to "bananaing"
    At least the 230s are
    What was your MV on that 230 grain ATIP when you did those 700 meter tests?

First pic is entry on rib, second is entry on the heart, third is exit on heart, fourth is exit, last one is the doe. She was a big dry doe with no fawns. Had 2" of fat on her back and rump.View attachment 7638896View attachment 7638898View attachment 7638899View attachment 7638900View attachment 7638901
    That's what happens with an underpowered cartridge especially when hampered by a very short barrel .

That's what happens with an underpowered cartridge especially when hampered by a very short barrel .

Not underpowered for the task that it was assigned. Just that we sometimes ask too much out of a projectile in a role it wasn't designed for. Sometimes you get perfect terminal performance and sometimes you don't. Can't blame the design when you don't.

1. Shot placement (he had that covered).
    2. Bullet construction

7mm190 atip. Shot was 589. Muzzle fps was 2925. He ran a 15 yard circle and died. Picture is off the exit side.

Attachments

• IMG_7946.jpeg
      IMG_7946.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 41

This is my son's hunting rifle, he's been hunting with it since he was 12. It's a 16" 260 Remington, arguably more underpowered than an 18" 6.5CM, particularly when shooting the 120-grain bullets that this little rifle craves and shoots so well. He has killed 4 mule deer and one cow elk with it since he started hunting, the closest one was 300 yards out. The first deer and elk were right around 500 yards.
    87245ba5-99fa-4d04-adf8-fa8f9bbe6d0a.jpeg

1915d76b-0f8b-47bc-8201-11669b97651c.jpeg

68cc3a92-9a3b-468e-bea9-f34cf71a348f.jpeg

111525f1-338d-4e18-9bfb-be40cb2893ca.jpeg

JAW09174-copy.jpeg

For those who might want to know more about it, I've outlined it here:

They look pretty close to the old Hornady A-Max bullets except the aluminum tip was bigger than the current bullet. Probably because the new bullet is designed for hunting?
    I shot a lot of the old 168 A-Max bullets out of my 7-08 at the 500m ram silhouette, it was the hands down best at bucking the wind and downing the 60lb target.

This is my son's hunting rifle, he's been hunting with it since he was 12. It's a 16" 260 Remington, arguably more underpowered than an 18" 6.5CM, particularly when shooting the 120-grain bullets that this little rifle craves and shoots so well. He has killed 4 mule deer and one cow elk with it since he started hunting, the closest one was 300 yards out. The first deer and elk were right around 500 yards.
    87245ba5-99fa-4d04-adf8-fa8f9bbe6d0a.jpeg

1915d76b-0f8b-47bc-8201-11669b97651c.jpeg

68cc3a92-9a3b-468e-bea9-f34cf71a348f.jpeg

111525f1-338d-4e18-9bfb-be40cb2893ca.jpeg

JAW09174-copy.jpeg

For those who might want to know more about it, I've outlined it here:

The 120gr PVRI bullets you are using in that are amazingly accurate, just about impossible to get anymore.

Reactions: Charlie112