• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any one out there bike?

Mr_Brass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
45x90 WI.
I dont drive so i bike where i need to go. I used to have an old mongoose 20" BMX no gears or nothing just a plain bike. well needless to say i have outgrown it for more than a ride up to the corner store.

last year I saw a Schwinn at walmart that i liked and at just under $300 the price was right. sadly I can't find this bike anymore (i don't even remember the name) so the quest is back on.

I'm looking at MTN bikes for the ruggedness and stuff and i just like that style of bike more. pretty much I'll be using this bike on road 90% of the time and some offroading.

I found a GT aggressor that I like but I don't know much about what gearing and such to look for so any insight would be good.

thanks

Re: any one out there bike?

I ride a Gary Fisher Marlin mountain bike. I have 2 sets of tires. I use a set of 1.5's most of the time when riding on the road. I also have a road bike for longer rides, more than 20 miles. I have found biking to be a great workout. I try to ride at least twice a week spring through fall. I don't do much winter riding.
Rob

Get on Craigslist and you can find a quality used MTB for $300. Walmart bikes are usually lower quality. I see Giant, Cannondale, Trek, etc for sale all the time. Good luck.

I ride a GT All Terra Aggressor that I bought new in 1995. I've put thousands of miles on that bike, both on and off road; all of the components have been replaced at one time or another. It's heavy but it refuses to die. I bought my first road bike last year and went with a Trek 1.2 that I purchased from a family owned bike store with a very large selection.

I would buy a bike from a bike store and not a box store. More than likely the people at the store actually know things like what frame size you need, where your handle bars should be adjusted to, and can make educated recommendations as to the best bike for you. They will also be able to provide maintenance and support for you after the purchase.

You can get an entry level Trek 820 MTB for not much more than the Schwinn you saw at WalMart.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mou...n/sport/820/820

Agree with the used (classified ads, etc.) recommendation and avoiding the big box stores. Getting a used bike and having a bike store tune and upgrade could get you a much better rig for the money, but it takes more time and effort. Buying new from a bike store is probably lower risk though.

Police departments often have annual sales of unclaimed property as well.

Having a spare (or primary) set of wheels with slicks instead of knobby tires will allow you to go a LOT faster on pavement.

You probably only need minimal (if any) gearing. You don't need more than a double chainring on front. Keep it simple and the benefits will be light weight and mechanical efficiency.