• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any one use the Gracey Match Case Trimmer?

usmc1488

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2012
Camp Lejeune
I currently use the Hornady case trimmer which I find to be very accurate in delivering the same case length through out a prep session. The only down side is that you have to chamfer and debur separately.

My father just gifted me the Gracy Case trimmer which chamfurs, deburs and trims at the same time.

Anyone still use it? Any tips? Should I even bother with it?

Last edited:
I've got an old Gracey trimmer that I still use, I leave it set up for 223 and use my Giraud trimmer for everything else. The Gracey trimmer came along long before the Giraud, Henderson, or other trimmers that do all steps at once and it still is a very good tool. Setup is pretty simple. The hardest is tinkering with the cutting blade position so it chamfers both sides of the case the amount that you want. I just did it by trial and error. Then case length is set by screwing the shell holder in or out. Caliber change is a little harder than the Giraud trimmer but it isn't too bad. Enjoy using it, it should give you many more years of use.

The Gracey trimmer blade cuts the case in the V of the blade with the sides of the V chamfering the inside and outside of the neck. Both steel and carbide blades were made. In addition Fred Bertelsman made his own design trimmer head that replaced the Gracey trimmer head completely. Fred's design had two blades that formed a V and each blade was adjusted independently. Both blade designs used a set screw which you loosen to move the blade or blades. I bought mine used many years ago and the motor shaft is attached to the trimmer head with an automotive hose and hose clamps. Primitive but it works.

Thanks gents I think I’ll give it a try!!! Right now I only reload 308 and 30-06. So I’ll set one up for 308 and one for 30-06.

I had a Gracey about 20 years ago. I thought it was a woefully inadequate tool, and hard to get consistent lengths, because the mechanism can be compressed if you put pressure on the case and it's hard to put the same consistent pressure on each case each time.

The Giraud is a MAJOR upgrade compared to Gracey, but it's costly as are the adapters and cutting heads (I have one for each caliber so I don't have to reset the carbide blade each time - set it perfect once and forget it).

If I got one for free, I'd try it and see if I found the results satisfactory. What I predict will happen is that you will sell it and get a Giraud, eventually, like I did.