• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any opinions on a Sako TRG 42 in 300WM?

skeeterIII

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2014
Arizona
I am looking to buy a lightly used Sako TRG 42 in 300 Win Mag and wondered what your opinion was of this rifle. It is an early model made around 2002 and comes with an equally early Leupold Vari-X 4.5-14x40mm scope.
Any ideas on the price I should be paying?
Thanks

Reactions: A.Redd
I am a TRG owner but not in 300. I love mine. I've been swapping between factory Hornady and Federal rounds and both are grouping in the 1/2" range, better with a better shooter. If the one your looking at is a low round count, then your probably looking at around 2900 for a good deal

Trg's are some of the most accurate rifles if your shooting factory ammo. They shoot just about anything well. I have a trg22 and love it. It will shoot better with a load tuned to it but... how many other rifles shoot all your test loads and the cheap box stuff u used to get on paper under 3/4-1" @100. No they may not be the prettiest or machined to the tightest tolerances but get it and tell us it doesn't shoot.... it wont happen... unless of course the barrel is completely shot out. Hope not.

Trg's are some of the most accurate rifles if your shooting factory ammo. They shoot just about anything well. I have a trg22 and love it. It will shoot better with a load tuned to it but... how many other rifles shoot all your test loads and the cheap box stuff u used to get on paper under 3/4-1" @100. No they may not be the prettiest or machined to the tightest tolerances but get it and tell us it doesn't shoot.... it wont happen... unless of course the barrel is completely shot out. Hope not.

I agree, I hand load (168 SMK's) for mine and most 5 shot 100 yard groups run 0.3-0.4 moa.

I am looking to buy a lightly used Sako TRG 42 in 300 Win Mag and wondered what your opinion was of this rifle. It is an early model made around 2002 and comes with an equally early Leupold Vari-X 4.5-14x40mm scope.
Thanks

Go for it. I have one of the new model trg 42 s in 300 win mag and the old model trg 22 in 308. Great rifles that shoot better than I do. I would not worry about it being an old model, I actually prefer the trigger in my 22. The 300 is very easy to shoot in the trg 42 though you will want a muzzle brake

Just my thoughts. I own one. Great rifle, and shoots small groups. But, I shoot it a little, cause I "read somewhere" that the 300 Win Mag will burn a barrel in 1000 rnds. What's the round count?

Kind of digging this one out of the graveyard, but for those that have had the chance to compare old/new are the 2013 upgrades really worth the $1200 price increase? Seems 3-4 years ago you could get a TRG 42 in 300 for about $2800, $2200 for a .308. I know the dollar has lost some ground but the big attraction to the TRG was the value for the price, at $4000 that's full custom rifle at a top shop territory.

Just my thoughts. I own one. Great rifle, and shoots small groups. But, I shoot it a little, cause I "read somewhere" that the 300 Win Mag will burn a barrel in 1000 rnds. What's the round count?

Id say that's the win mags that are shooting smaller bullets at ridiculous velocities. I've got well over 1k on one of mine and she still shoots bugholes. I am shooting 230 grain bullets at 2890 fps though

I agree, I hand load (168 SMK's) for mine and most 5 shot 100 yard groups run 0.3-0.4 moa.

Man i wish i could get my 308 5r in the .3's. Im stuck in the .6's with handloads. Not to change the topic but whats the normal barrel life for a 300wm barrel these days?

Man i wish i could get my 308 5r in the .3's. Im stuck in the .6's with handloads. Not to change the topic but whats the normal barrel life for a 300wm barrel these days?

I had over 2200 Rnds through a 700 Police ( win mag) and it was STILL shooting when I rebarreled it

I would feel comfortable paying up to 2800 for the rifle itself, in good to excellent condition. The scope is of no "real" value on such a beast as the trg 42. I bought my 42 in .300 win mag around 2007; also the old model, and have never regretted it for a second. I have shot the .338lm version and was glad I got the .300wm. Component/ammo cost and recoil is reason enough to justify it alone. Like others have said it is not a picky rifle and will very often out-shoot the user with good ammo. Also don't feel under gunned by choosing the .300, my load launches a 208 A-max at 2836fps (could be driven harder) and has no problem at 1500 yards. I have stretched it to 1760, things get a bit shaky out there. Ask yourself, are you really going to be shooting at 1000 to 1500 regularly, if not do you even need a rifle such as the trg? If yes then do it and don't look back. I should also mention when I do my part I can put 3 rounds into a playing card at 500 yards, I attribute it to the excellent rifle and ammo. Good luck with your decision, hopefully you will soon be the proud owner of one badass rifle.
Thanks