• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Any other arrowhead collectors?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Since many of us spend much time in the outdoors while shooting or hunting, I figured maybe there's a few who collect chert. I'll post pics to get started.

Once I go back home, I should be able to get an updated pic with my entire collection.

Let's see what you got.

IMG_20210718_111002_958.jpg
    IMG_20210626_200218_252.jpg
    IMG_20210608_094759_974.jpg
    IMG_20210607_111604_144.jpg
    IMG_20210530_132213_086.jpg
    IMG_20210529_144226_488.jpg
    IMG_20210529_135357_708.jpg
    IMG_20210529_135344_034.jpg
    IMG_20210527_161224_224.jpg
    20210622_182340.jpg
    20210528_093111.jpg

IMG-20210714-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210709-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210705-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210627-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210622-WA0015.jpg

In addition to the ~ 50 broken ones and discarded F-ups, these are the ones I recovered while I was building the pad for my house:

20210719_003633.jpg

I'm convinced that the tribe that used to live here held 'arrowhead making camp' where my house sits. I've also a few grinding stones and a tomahawk head.

Definitely some unique finds among the mix there. I remember my Grandpa would be driving, and middle of a sentence in the middle of the story suddenly stop the truck, go off the side of the road, through the roadside fence to a little dirt mound or rock heap, or hillside and come back with 2 or 3 every trip. I'd ask him how he knew they were there, and he'd try to point out what might as well of been invisible greek letters floating in the sky. He had thousands he had collected, and donated many to wildlife museums, state park areas, cabin retreats, resturants, etc. I've got one I'll have to try to find and post up that is a very unique shape as well.

Those are all found on private land right?! Very nice stuff, it's so cool seeing these artifacts and appreciating the differences in both time and culture

I have only ever found one, and I gave it to the landowner, an old man who had been driving over it for years with his 4-wheeler. It was right in his two-track, sitting right there in plain sight on the surface. I took him out there & said, "Look at the ground, what do you see?" He says, rocks... Hey! Is that an arrowhead?

Located about a mile west of Pomme de Terre lake in Missouri, this was a large flat hilltop with a spring just downhill. He had cut some trees down and the surface was disturbed. I first noticed a LOT of small flakes and broken pieces, and being a flintknapper, I knew I was in the middle of a site used for making stone tools. Landowner said there's piles of that rock all over around here. It's mozarkite, Missouri's State rock. And sure enough, there are Basketball size chucks of it laying around. I explained all this. He didn't care, sold the property.

I only found that one, but over the years I have made hundreds and hundreds of them. Here's a few made in 2012.

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_130732.jpg
      IMG_20210719_130732.jpg
      564.7 KB · Views: 50
    These are the genuine artifacts I picked up off the surface at his place. Most of them are what I call "oh shit!"s because they obviously broke in two and were discarded.

The interesting thing about arrowheads is the connection to history. Literally EVERY arrowhead/stone tool ever made is still in existance, because they never rot, etc. The last person to touch those pieces maybe was the guy that made it, 1000 or 10,000 years ago...

I used to go to knap-ins and hang out with some of the most skilled flintknappers in the US.

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_133319.jpg
      IMG_20210719_133319.jpg
      875.8 KB · Views: 42
    Last edited:
    Reactions: Ravenworks
    Since many of us spend much time in the outdoors while shooting or hunting, I figured maybe there's a few who collect chert. I'll post pics to get started.

Once I go back home, I should be able to get an updated pic with my entire collection.

I have found a few in Missouri, nice ax and points, I will try and post pics soon, remolding going on, timing a little off,,,, found a few bird points also…..Everyone that’s has posted pics,,, dam nice!!!⚡🇺🇸

View attachment 7670450View attachment 7670451View attachment 7670452View attachment 7670453View attachment 7670454View attachment 7670455View attachment 7670456View attachment 7670457View attachment 7670458View attachment 7670459View attachment 7670461

View attachment 7670462View attachment 7670463View attachment 7670464View attachment 7670465View attachment 7670466

I've got a friend that could find an arrowhead in a Walmart parking lot! He got into making his own several years ago. Here's a small/thin one he made - can't remember if obsidian or glass. I've got another larger one he made out of the thick glass from back of a TV picture tube.

IMG_1103.jpg

Reactions: Ravenworks
    I'm a digger as well. From pick and shovel, added screening to the mix and now have a Cat skidsteer to do volume excavation dropping onto a large rock screen and sifting by hand. A few get broken doing volume work but the yield for a days work is very rewarding. We have unearthed items back to about 12,000 years ago. Holding that piece in your hand knowing that it been a bit since the last human held it is real special. Its not just the Points found but the tools and personal items that can make the dig a bonus.

I use to pick them up as a kid roaming the high ground above Irondequoit bay off lake Ontario when I was a kid. We would find them every time the garden wasctutned spring and fall. Always made me think how life must have been for those people.

At a jobsite I was at previously, there were soooooo many. Literally walking and driving over them all the time. One day I found 11 in just a few hours.

This one I found today.
    IMG_20210719_131407_073.jpg
    IMG_20210719_131348_246.jpg

And this piece I also found today. It's what was missing from the piece I found on Saturday to make the complete arrowhead.

IMG_20210719_091503_711.jpg
    IMG_20210719_091451_947.jpg

And here is how the arrowhead would have looked had I found it complete.

IMG_20210719_182409_941.jpg
    IMG_20210719_182325_896.jpg

In addition to the ~ 50 broken ones and discarded F-ups, these are the ones I recovered while I was building the pad for my house:

View attachment 7670638

I'm convinced that the tribe that used to live here held 'arrowhead making camp' where my house sits. I've also a few grinding stones and a tomahawk sábado.
    The one on the very far right of that display, did it by chance have wings that are broken off? If so, that could potentially be an Andice projectile point, and those are so freaking rare and awesome.

I've got a bunch somewhere I picked up as a kid in south GA. Many folks in that area have huge collections. Not sure if it's still there or not but if you're ever passing through Colquitt, GA check out the collection on display at the local post office.

Not an arrowhead but coolest find of mine was a broken part of a large clay marble I found while cleaning horse shit out of the barn. Couple years later I found another piece of a broken clay marble a 100 or so yards away in a freshly plowed field. I thought no way in hell but sure enough it was the missing piece from the first one!

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

Reactions: stello1001
    The one on the very far right of that display, did it by chance have wings that are broken off? If so, that could potentially be an Andice projectile point, and those are so freaking rare and awesome.

As far as I know, that one is complete (unbroken). I've got box full of broken/discarded points. Now I'm going to have to go through it to see if there are any in there...

I'm a complete novice at this. I just built my house on a site that has so much chip rock that I just about didn't have to gravel my driveway.

A humorous story regarding arrowheads and my house site:

My wife and her family are Choctaw. The tribe has a great program that assists with the placement of water/septic lines for card-carrying members building on 'tribal land'. Essentially they get money from the Feds to dig lines to new house builds...free of charge to the resident.

Of course this means that the Feds have to send a team out to every new site to "check" to make sure that they aren't going to build on an archeological discovery site...whatever. so this "team" consisting of two fat bitches comes out and proceeds to do all this sample digging in my arrowhead making camp. Of course, they find significant evidence that there's an archeological significance to this area...and they shut down the program where the tribe assists in digging my water/sewage lines.

After a drawn out debate over several days, the tribe sends out some big whig representatives, plus a state team, and those two fat fed bitches...we all meet at my house site one afternoon.

It is at the point where I'm halfway through a rant in front of all of them about my house NOT being on an archeological site that I literally step on a perfectly preserved arrowhead as im showing them around...thus ending my argument:D. It couldn't have been more perfectly timed if I tried.

Fat fed bitches say something to the point if shutting down my house build compmetely until they fully excavate the area...so I show them exactly where they'll be buried, and the equipment that I have to do it with...kind of abruptly ends all conversation and turns the environment wierd. Whatever, screw them. It's Oklahoma for crying out loud...you can't piss out here without watering an ancient burial ground. Within 90 seconds, state and fed reps are back in their cars and leaving my property.

Never saw it heard from the fed bitches after they got in their car. The tribal head honcho representative was friendly enough for me being a whitey. He didn't authorize my lines getting dug because it would have been a non-funded tribal expense, but I did get my septic tank and lines for free. Three days on a borrowed track hoe and I dug them myself.

I keep that arrowhead separately displayed on a bookshelf, just for the story that it allows me to tell...

Reactions: rope
    I just found my first ever arrow head last year on an elk hunt in NM. On the north side of Cerro Montoso. Then I couldn't help but look down the rest of the trip. Found three more..

Have you ever been to the Woolaroc museum up by Bartlesville? The arrowhead collection there is incredible. The shrunken heads there are cool and the gun collection is amazing, but I was blown away by the arrowhead collection.

I have a few found when I was just a kid- but the jewel of my collection is a few pieces of jewelry and a large stone anvil and a very large chunk of flint that on one side has marks where you can see several arrow heads were knapped out.

Pick up this S&W model 19-3 yesterday. Came in as a consignment gun and was to good of a deal to pass up. The original owner put an obsidian arrowhead in the grip.
    494F41DE-AC95-47AC-8FFC-AF05DCF90FD3.jpeg

I have found a lot of points in caves here in Kentucky, cornfields, tobacco base etc. I have a milling stone about the size of a sledgehammer with one angled end and one 90 degree end. A carved plate with a hole drilled at one end. Checked by a local University it is if I remember correctly, soap stone. Dated many many years ago. Several nice tips and like everyone else broken ones.
    20210721_101210.jpg
    20210721_101202.jpg

Bere are some in a bag my grandfather had. I just got them this weekend from my father who has had them for about 15 years or so…

Post It Notes are just for size comparison.
    206239AD-EE28-4FF5-B3C3-ED45D58E9001.jpeg

Reactions: stello1001