• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any other members do any of the olympic lifts?

mallen45

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2020
I've been lifting on and off competitively in olympic weightlifting for about 5 years now and was curious if anyone else on here did as well. If so, who does your programming and how are you all making it with all of the gym closures?

I have a home gym with plenty of bumper plates and a rogue bar. My terrible mobility holds me back on my oly lifts, and I would take dead last in any competition I entered. I don't really follow any particular program, but I like to work in some snatch and C & J work a couple times a week. My power snatch is waaaay more than my full, I completely fall apart when I have to squat. Clean and Jerk is okay, but my shitty overhead position holds me back there. I do like the lifts though and am in awe of the guys and gals who are good at them. Unless you have tried it, I don't think many folks can appreciate the level of mobility, speed, and power involved in an oly lift.

I have a home gym with plenty of bumper plates and a rogue bar. My terrible mobility holds me back on my oly lifts, and I would take dead last in any competition I entered. I don't really follow any particular program, but I like to work in some snatch and C & J work a couple times a week. My power snatch is waaaay more than my full, I completely fall apart when I have to squat. Clean and Jerk is okay, but my shitty overhead position holds me back there. I do like the lifts though and am in awe of the guys and gals who are good at them. Unless you have tried it, I don't think many folks can appreciate the level of mobility, speed, and power involved in an oly lift.
That’s awesome, yeah I’ve enjoyed my time with the Olympic lifts. I’ve had some of the wildest workouts with oly programming but it always keeps me coming back. Mobility is always a bitch to nail down. You’re tasked with spending an ungodly amount of time in stretched positions so that your body can be uncomfortable with other stretched positions under heavy load. It’s a vicious cycle.

I’ve never competed in weightlifting - I use it for strength training. I compete in rugby and train jiu-jitsu, though haven’t competed in the latter in years.

Current program is a Stronglifts 5x5 with added accessory lifts - Close Grip Bench Press and Dips, as well as some EZ Bar Curls.

I have an old bench/squat combo rack and about 470lbs of weight at home - approaching that with my deadlift shortly. May need to add some ammo cans Bruce Willis style when I run out of plates.

I’ve never competed in weightlifting - I use it for strength training. I compete in rugby and train jiu-jitsu, though haven’t competed in the latter in years.

Current program is a Stronglifts 5x5 with added accessory lifts - Close Grip Bench Press and Dips, as well as some EZ Bar Curls.

I have an old bench/squat combo rack and about 470lbs of weight at home - approaching that with my deadlift shortly. May need to add some ammo cans Bruce Willis style when I run out of plates.

Thats awesome, I did a little BJJ a couple of years ago to switch it up a bit while I was recovering from a disc herniation. It was a good time and I have a ton of respect for those who practice. My experience was great.

Been training over mahogany ridge doing one arm curls, beer muscles are pumped big time.

Thats awesome, I did a little BJJ a couple of years ago to switch it up a bit while I was recovering from a disc herniation. It was a good time and I have a ton of respect for those who practice. My experience was great.

Accomplished Powerlifters who are new to BJJ are always exciting to roll with. It's the closest to a real street wrasslin match that I care to get.

Reactions: mallen45
Accomplished Powerlifters who are new to BJJ are always exciting to roll with. It's the closest to a real street wrasslin match that I care to get.

Yeah I bet it is, you all stay even keel and just keep steady while we use every ounce of strength to get the upper hand and then take over the second we are tired. haha good times.

I like the Stronglifts 5x5 program as well. I add pull-ups, chin-ups, planks, crunches and a fair amount of running.

Mostly doing bodyweight exercises waiting for the gym to open again next week. Think my legs have had the most atrophy during this pandemic.

Reactions: Feesh
Olympic weightlifter here!

Started about 10 years ago after discovering it from crossfit. I got suckered into the whole "CrossFit kool-aid" thing initially, but after lifting with Jon North in one of his seminars when I lived in Seattle several years back, I started focusing on weightlifting and left the crossfit world. I've done 3 USAW sanctioned meets, but was always short of qualifying for the national level meets for my totals. I just train in my garage and since I live up in Alaska, I haven't been able to find a weightlifting crew like I had in Seattle. But, I'd still like to compete as a master when I move back down to the lower 48 :) Current snatch is 110 and CJ is 132 at 85 bodyweight. I do my own programing. I'd be happy to give you some training cycles if you'd like.💪;)

I used to Olympic lift a lot for my training. My coach in college introduced to it. Snatched 130 and C&J 172.5 with a 180 PC and 230 FS.

The 3 people doing it better than anyone right now are - Dave Spitz @ Cal Strength, Greg Everett @ Catalyst and Travis Mash @ Mash Elite Performance. Those guys are killing it with their athletes and in the online programming space.

Wes Kitts trains at Cal Strength and the kids Travis is training currently are putting up numbers I didn't even know existed at their age.

Love seeing the evolution.

Reactions: ColinW
I used to Olympic lift a lot for my training. My coach in college introduced to it. Snatched 130 and C&J 172.5 with a 180 PC and 230 FS.

In Olympic weightlifting, we use kilo's. So, are those KG's or LB's? Only reason I ask is, a 230kg FS is near Olympic level!

In Olympic weightlifting, we use kilo's. So, are those KG's or LB's? Only reason I ask is, a 230kg FS is near Olympic level!

Those are kilos. I wouldn't be super excited about a 130 pound snatch. And a 500 pound front squat was pretty solid. Near Olympic level? Sadly, no.

Reactions: ColinW

quite a few national level lifters front squatting 230kg. He’ll I’m almost positive Mash has a 16 year old doing. All the Morgan is an absolute monster of a teenager.

Those are kilos. I wouldn't be super excited about a 130 pound snatch. And a 500 pound front squat was pretty solid. Near Olympic level? Sadly, no.

Well, depending on your weight category....A 500lb FS would be considered Olympic level. Solid F-ing lifts man! 🤘🏻😎👍🏻

quite a few national level lifters front squatting 230kg. He’ll I’m almost positive Mash has a 16 year old doing. All the Morgan is an absolute monster of a teenager.

Travis has a whole team of HS kids that front squat 500+ pounds. He is doing something special with those kids.