• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any pilots?

Re: Any pilots?

Not yet, but I'm hoping to get mine once I get my Bio degree done. Alaska fur and feathers and USF&W kind of like that. Figure I can gain flight hours on their birds and their dime.

so what kind of costs am I looking at for single engine, tail dragger, and pontoon certification? I'm hoping I can pay my own way through without incurring any debt, is that feasible?

Im not sure about pontoon, but a single engine private alone costs around $9,000 (depending on plane costs, how long it takes for you to finish, and instructor fees). A tail dragger edndorsement would cost around $2,000. It would be cheaper if you could get them at the same time though because tail dragger time would count toward singe engine private.

I payed my own way flying around 3 hours a month. But, I am still living at home (20 years old) and going to college. It is very possible to do. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil Xray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not yet, but I'm hoping to get mine once I get my Bio degree done. Alaska fur and feathers and USF&W kind of like that. Figure I can gain flight hours on their birds and their dime.

so what kind of costs am I looking at for single engine, tail dragger, and pontoon certification? I'm hoping I can pay my own way through without incurring any debt, is that feasible?</div></div>
Any particular reason why you want a taildragger and pontoon? I mean I get that most pontoon conversion are from conventional gear but...I guess I'm just wondering for myself.

Yep. Somewhere around 14,000 hours. I stopped keeping track of my time; I got lazy.

It is what I do for a living. Beats having to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fly320s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep. Somewhere around 14,000 hours. I stopped keeping track of my time; I got lazy.

It is what I do for a living. Beats having to work. </div></div>
who do you fly for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil Xray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not yet, but I'm hoping to get mine once I get my Bio degree done. Alaska fur and feathers and USF&W kind of like that. Figure I can gain flight hours on their birds and their dime.

so what kind of costs am I looking at for single engine, tail dragger, and pontoon certification? I'm hoping I can pay my own way through without incurring any debt, is that feasible? </div></div>

http://www.fws.gov/aviation/FAQ.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any particular reason why you want a taildragger and pontoon? I mean I get that most pontoon conversion are from conventional gear but...I guess I'm just wondering for myself. </div></div>

Don't blame ya for askin, I live in Alaska, the girl I'm after lives out in BFE, and the only way to get to her family's homestead is pontoons in the summer and skis in the winter. to boot, I haven't seen any nosegear birds with tundra tires yet.....

plus, Duck season!!! my buddy's already got his pontoons on and we're gonna head out next month to some obscure locations to hunt hapless winged creatures. Woo Hoo!!!!

Working on getting my PPL now. I soloed on 7-05-12 and I am scheduled to do my first cross country next week.

It's alittle slow going as I'm trying to pay for it as I go ... 1-3hrs a week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil Xray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any particular reason why you want a taildragger and pontoon? I mean I get that most pontoon conversion are from conventional gear but...I guess I'm just wondering for myself. </div></div>

Don't blame ya for askin, I live in Alaska, the girl I'm after lives out in BFE, and the only way to get to her family's homestead is pontoons in the summer and skis in the winter. to boot, I haven't seen any nosegear birds with tundra tires yet.....

plus, Duck season!!! my buddy's already got his pontoons on and we're gonna head out next month to some obscure locations to hunt hapless winged creatures. Woo Hoo!!!!</div></div> That makes sense, thanks. Just so you know there are quite a few trikes with tundra tyres, especially 206's but the occasional 172/182 gets them too.
Freemans182AZ.jpg
0183466.jpg

Still never be a Supercub...but really what is? I've been told 206's are carrying a lot of the heavier stuff in light wing these days. But that was a few years ago.

dang, look at that!! you have expanded my horizons, sir.

private pilot as well. but, managed to score it for around 5k back in 2009 at a small FBO, most was in a c150 and about 15hr in a 172 to finish up...just need a checkflight for instrument and then plan to finish up comm/multi in the spring time.

just bought a Piper Arrow II. I love it, nothing beats being able to go fly whenever, where ever you'd like...

Private pilot SEL (high-power) and glider. Only have a couple hundred hours time. Also a handful of hours stick time on Hueys (simulator, UH1 and AH1 cobra) as a flight surgeon. Stopped flying in 2001 as the airspace requirements around DC got more insane after the terrorist attacks and one of my instructors bought the farm doing imminent stall practice on takeoff ON TAKEOFF and pancaked in killing himself and another instructor. Took my breath away. Then there was the rich entitled dentist on the eastern shore, some Air Nat'l Guard General who would fly his fucking Pitts into a landing pattern, right over my head and land ahead of me (and anyone else) while I was powering up for takeoff. He finally landed on TOP of another plane out at Easton, FAA fined him, but didn't take his ticket despite the - probably - thousands of complaints against him. The my kids lost interest in going out for $100 hamburgers with Dad on the weekends. The wife lost interest when had to fly a rental 172 back home without electrics once - family slept through it, I landed safely without lights using a backup radio I could only transmit on, receiver side decided to die. Six of one, half dozen of another, you know? Turn around, ground the plane, contact flight ops, wait for them to fly out a mechanic, take the bus home from Virginia Beach, or just fly the damned thing - no flaps, nothing, - into the very margin of civil twilight into Lee Airport at Annapolis. Figured with that kind of luck I'd stay grounded for a while. Sold my cozy Mk IV garage project plane with about 1800 hours into it and invested in machine guns for a couple years. Made a nice profit. But damn I miss flying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fly320s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep. Somewhere around 14,000 hours. I stopped keeping track of my time; I got lazy.

It is what I do for a living. Beats having to work. </div></div>

This. I'm guessing we fly the same type of airplane.

LOL, radio control drone - UHF - 20 mile distance factor...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucCkh2s_RzU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucCkh2s_RzU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

ATP helicopter. Flew for 11 years in the Army and flying EMS since 99. Big change from an Apache to an Astar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a pilot, but my grandpa is, heres his lil plane:
IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg
</div></div> wow! Nice "Lil" plane he has!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Errrrr yeah.

About 12,000 hours up to now.

N</div></div>

...just how many logbooks is that?

Private, got it in '07. I am now the proud half owner of a 1955 Piper Tripacer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boilerUP, just curious, what kind of plane is that?</div></div>

Cessna Citation CJ2+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever gotten air-head?
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever gotten air-head?
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yes</div></div>

ditto...........

Missed shooting in my match today because work got in the way....
oh well
WP_000186.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup...the plane in my avatar pays the mortgage. </div></div>

Nice! I almost did the flight program at Purdue, but ended up going a different route.

Both my dad and my sister have their pilots license, but I don't have mine yet though it's on the to-do list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phillipjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else on here have a license to fly? </div></div>Yup: More than one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
King AIr E90
C-185
Cub

</div></div>

Best toys winns!

Add a helicopter and you'd have a damn nice little air force. Aircraft and especially helicopters are the most fun.

Tandem seat aircraft like a cub is super nice because regardless of which direction the AC is banking both people can look right below at the ground. That is super nice for spotting game or just wandering about in the fall at 1000' AGL.

S.E.L. most time in C-182

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fly320s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Punta Cana?

And a 757? </div></div>

No, a little further west. Think coffee/pineapples.

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thezoltar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fly320s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Punta Cana?

And a 757? </div></div>

No, a little further west. Think coffee/pineapples.

Yes </div></div>

Kahului.

I grew up a block away from a small airport. I spent allot of time in the smaller planes when the old farts would let me go up with them. I thought about giving up my other vices to get the license and a small 4 seater. Odd note I am VERY afraid of heights over 6' but love to fly.

Hell, I can't walk across a 2x4x8 if it's more than 2 feet off the floor, but strap a UH-1 A,B,C,D or H to my ass and I'm ready to go!!! Woooooo Damn Hooooooo !!!!

Yeah, I hate heights too! But any height that guarantees death doesn't bother me... Only the heights that'll leave ya all busted and still alive! lol

I've got about 3500 hrs. Grew up flying RC-135s, escaped to C-21s for a few years, now back to RCs. Sucking sand right now on yet another deployment in planes closer to my mother's birthday than mine.